Corey Waddell to gain a spot in the 17 for Rd 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Im a firm believer injuries are just plain bad luck. Rehab can be done well or badly though.
One thing I’d bet my last dollar on is we don’t fold like cardboard cutouts at the backend of games this year. Donny will have the boys that run out primed for 80 minutes of action.

Last edited:
I hope that we see a side that hangs in there until the end. I also hope the referees don't decide to clip our wings. If we get a fair go and 50% possession we are a chance.

And despite all that I’m tipping us in a tight one. Tigers weakened badly ,our 7 to 13 are first class , didn’t pick Reynolds which I like and I think Des has us fired up. Manly by 8.
I dont think madge will suit the tigers style of play. I think he will dull them down too much.

Lot of rain around next few days and especially Saturday - I'm hoping a boggy Leichhardt will be a 'tuck it under the jumper' sort of game and our lack of outside backs won't be so cruelly exposed. And our pack dominance will come to the fore in the wet weather.

That said when your praying for rain it's never ideal..... but here's hoping...

I think Madge is a different creature

I think Madge is a different coach with the Tigpies than he was at the time of his Souffs sacking.

I really don't buy the Madge hype.
I think the gf win (season) was boring style of footy with the rabbits being the NRL darlings that year.

I reckon the training will be far more physical, than the same time last year.....and Waddell likely fell victim to thisbeing a rib injury.
The Tom T injuury I hate to say, but as much of a talent he is, vulnerable to particularly leg in injuries with his build.
Basically stopped growing now which should help this a little and wouldn’t trade him for anyone.....almost a suprise inclusion and should be ok for round 2.

Lot of rain around next few days and especially Saturday - I'm hoping a boggy Leichhardt will be a 'tuck it under the jumper' sort of game and our lack of outside backs won't be so cruelly exposed. And our pack dominance will come to the fore in the wet weather.

That said when your praying for rain it's never ideal..... but here's hoping...
Lets hope that Parker wears his long studs on saturday so that he doesn't slip over

Injuries are killing us already and we haven't even played one premiership game yet

[Manly] have massive injury problems heading into round one. We know of Tom Trbojevic [hamstring], obviously Dylan Walker is unavailable.

There's some talk [Manly] will have to apply for some salary cap dispensation to be able to field 17 players.

In that current environment, the fact they've let Frank Winterstein go, it's a really interesting decision.

I've been told they've got as many as 12 players unavailable through injury or suspension, and I'd imagine the NRL would listen to [Manly] and give them some relief.

Given that situation, that Frank Winterstein's been allowed to be let go, it's a strange one.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...end-sydney-roosters/xhvb6kbzqjs01jk8xj3nmvfun

Injuries are killing us already and we haven't even played one premiership game yet

[Manly] have massive injury problems heading into round one. We know of Tom Trbojevic [hamstring], obviously Dylan Walker is unavailable.

There's some talk [Manly] will have to apply for some salary cap dispensation to be able to field 17 players.

In that current environment, the fact they've let Frank Winterstein go, it's a really interesting decision.

I've been told they've got as many as 12 players unavailable through injury or suspension, and I'd imagine the NRL would listen to [Manly] and give them some relief.

Given that situation, that Frank Winterstein's been allowed to be let go, it's a strange one.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...end-sydney-roosters/xhvb6kbzqjs01jk8xj3nmvfun
Who are the 12. I can only count Winterstein gone then Walker, Fainu suspended then Turbo, Waddell, Paseka, Hopoate. I think Api is one of them but who are the other 4 ???

Smokin Joe says the 21 named are the only ones available for reason of injury, off season recuperation or suspension.With a roster that’s inexperienced to start with that’s crazy bad luck( and bad behaviour) before a balls kicked.. Des will earn his money in 2019 that’s for sure.

Walker , as usual , has delivered us his annual **** sandwich.Looking at that Rd 1 side you can’t help but think how much better it looks with him in it due to his experience and great talent.Seeing the team named today makes my blood boil given the tough years we’ve had lately and our inexperience in the three quarter line.We are talking about a Dally M centre here. He can seriously play.

Even if De Bellin wins it’s at least 5 weeks missing and our opening 5 weeks are super tough.Hell probably be gone for 9 and maybe for good.Bloke is a total goose and I’ll be happy to see the back of him.To be honest I couldn’t give a flying **** if his Mrs pulling the complaint saves him or he’s not technically guilty.

All this legal eagle is he / isn’t he guilty stuff might occupy the brain cells for a while but it misses the point.Chasing your Mrs and baby around the front yard causing her to call the cops over a ****ing VIDEO GAME with his record before a balls kicked is worthy of a jail sentence for it’s unbelievable stupidity alone.Whether he assaulted her or not she called the cops for a reason.Him being an absolute dickhead or worse. Pearce got 8 weeks and 100k for pretending to root a dog. I know what behaviour I’d deem more threatening. The imaginary dog wasn’t in much danger and he certainly didn’t call the cops.

I wouldn’t be feeling too sorry for Dylan.There is obviously no requirement to commit a criminal offence to get plenty of weeks which seems to be lost in the guilty or not guilty chat.Ask Dog Boy and Bubbler.
That 600 k could be spent on someone with his sublime talent AND commitment to the team.

I hope the lads can chalk up a win this week without him but this clown owes us big time.like he does most years he’s been here with his constant absences due to stupidity.A lot of supporters like myself and many on here invest a lot of time travel and money following their team and don’t need idiots like this throwing spanners in the works at every opportunity. Given our lack of experience out wide there is every chance his little frolic may cost us a finals berth.

Please feel free to insert dummy spit because that’s exactly what it is.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What is done is done. Those able to play are those able to play. Time to focus on those taking the field getting the job done. Tigers have plenty unavailable as well. Them the breaks.

Go Manly Go.

Pearce got 8 weeks and 100k for pretending to root a dog. I know what behaviour I’d deem more threatening. The imaginary dog wasn’t in much danger and he certainly didn’t call the cops.
Slight clarification. Real dog. Imaginary root. @;)

Good little article on Corey from NRL.com. Wish him well tonight., soon to be player #612 for the mighty Sea Eagles

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/23/waddells-dad-steve-always-in-his-thoughts-as-nrl-debut-arrives/

The son of a first-grade rugby league player normally has a wealth of knowledge he can tap into any time he wants as he makes his way from the junior ranks to the NRL – not Corey Waddell.

The 22-year-old son of Penrith and Illawarra Steelers prop Steve Waddell had to make his way virtually on his own.

He sure wishes his dad would be at Lottoland on Saturday for his Telstra Premiership debut with the Sea Eagles against the Roosters.

But Steve Waddell died of a heart attack at age 45. Corey was 15 years old.

"It was actually really hard. I didn't realise how hard it was until I look back at it now," Waddell told NRL.com.

"I was a kid so I had my mates around me and didn't think about it too much.

"But when I think back, I realise it was a pretty big adversity to overcome. My mum and my sister were a really big support group for me, so when I got off track, they pulled me back at line."

waddellc-190302pb-2549.jpg

Manly forward Corey Waddell. ©Paul Barkley/NRL Photos
Corey has an action photo of his dad in his smartphone library and looks at it regularly, especially on game days.

And this weekend is a game day he's been working towards for a long time – his NRL debut.

He'll have nerves but it's not as if big occasions are alien to him.

He was a member of the Penrith's premiership-winning under 20s team in 2015 and their 2017 NSW premiership-winning state side.

Waddell was used to Trent Barrett's tuition at the Panthers but by the time he joined Manly the NRL head coach mantle had been passed onto Des Hasler.

"I wasn't coming over so much for the coach. I just wanted the opportunity and a fresh start," he said.

"I really enjoyed my time at Penrith – won two trophies there – and have some good mates there still. But it's a good change coming here and I'm really enjoying being coached by Des."

A couple of vacancies opened up in the back row off-season with Shaun Lane heading to the Eels and Lewis Brown retiring.

"It lifts the spirits a bit thinking there might be a vacancy here. I trained hard during the pre-season, just waiting for an opportunity.

The experienced eye of Hasler and his coaching staff like former Penrith and Test forward John Cartwright are overseeing Waddell's transition into the NRL.

"If I play my own game I think it will be good enough. I need to keep up my aggression and I hope to also show my ball skills out wide."

Waddell has been named on the bench for the Roosters.

"I've been playing left edge, right edge and in the middle at training. I've been making myself available for all options."

A man of few words, Hasler has spent plenty of time with Waddell.

"He's been very encouraging and he's shown me plenty of video to highlight what I need to improve on and what I'm doing well," Waddell said.

"He's not a big talker, or at least he hasn't said much to me so I take that as I'm not doing anything wrong."

Waddell immediately liked the feeling of the Sea Eagles when he walked through the door.

"There's a really rich history here. In the gym they've got all their 9eight] premierships up there. Looking up it's pretty inspiring. They've got a fair bit to brag about here when it comes to premierships but obviously last year wasn't their best [finishing 15th]."

Waddell and Garrick seem like great young guys. I really really hope they perform and stick around for a long time. The type of players I want at Manly. With Thompson not offering a great deal a position starting in the back row could be up for grabs in the near future.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6