CORE GROUP Manifesto

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DCE does not demand, he commands the top dollar. He is an international half back, and half backs with his skillset are limited. Painting him as Yoko is malicious and pathetic. :dodgy:

Manly are running a business, as the Players often quote too,when it suits them, and not a summer camp.

Manly is charged with coming up with offers and solutions, and the Player who then weighs up the cost of staying or moving on :cool:

The oft referred to paycut to stay, was also a personal decision and apart from Matai's -$50k, never quantified. He said that the cost of relocation to the Shire, was a major factor in his decision.

The core group is Killer, Foz, DCE, Hiku and potentially Buhrer to complete the Spine. The changing of the guard is upon the 2004 group. :sleepy:

The real villain is the NRL's Marqee/Long Serving Player rule - and they could amend it with a stroke of a pen :idea:

The winning culture that the club has was forged log before this core group.

It is admirable the spirit the boys are showing in supporting the retention of Gifty.

I think it is most unfair to infer that DCE is not part of the succesful core group.

It is madness to even suggest that DCE should be released to fund Gifty's retention.

The club are forced to deal with these circumstances by having to deal with this unfair salary cap that is just ignored by certain clubs.

We can't dwell on the actions of an ex coach and back ended contracts blah blah blah, its the past.

What the club needs to do is decide what players are going to be able to take us forward.

what also needs to happen is that the players must cease talking to the media about things that they cant control, cause the News filth will never waste an opportunity to bash our club.

bones said:
MissKate said:
Maybe the 'core group' can spend their time usefully and come up with a solution instead of just complaining about things

It's not their job to find a solution.

No it is not that is why they employ staff to do it.

But equally, is it in their job description to complain and worse, is it int heir job description to complain publicly?

So so sick of these threads. You're all complaining about something that probably isn't true and probably won't happen.

If the club have X amount to offer Glenn and he wants more and another club are willing to pay that for him then so be it. We've had Glenn's best years and if another club want to pay overs for a player on the back end of his career then how are we to combat that? He's at the age now where the value of your contract either stays steady or it declines. Matai took a a pay cut to stay. Maybe Glenn should too. If that's even what's happening? How would we know? We just feed of twitter rumors and Daily Telegraph garbage.

DCE has been very quiet on this subject. Maybe instead of an upgrade he could take a paycut.

There's a question for you all. Do we give DCE an upgrade or do we keep Glenn Stewart?

I'm sure we all agree with the 'core value' argument, but even the best fruit will rot from the core over time.
Just say we kept Gift for a few more years at the expense of up-and-comers, and his form didn't warrant selection in first grade? Just say we started losing matches because the 'core' was not as fresh and vibrant as it once was.
Would we, on here, not then be screaming about the team's lack of success because we retained players whose best years were behind them?
I'm sure the club's retention experts will weigh up the pros and cons. We have to trust them, and stop placing any credibility in the monotonous stories in the Daily Telecrap that are trying to undermine Manly.

If all this hysteria is true, is he really going to get a substantial amount more $$ by going to another club?
I can't see ANY club offering him more than a three year deal at this stage of his career.

IF other players have taken unders to stay, why can't he take unders to stay?
Or has he already?.
If he has and this last year counts as the reported 800K then he must've been on bugger all for the other few years ( if you can call a few 100K bugger all! )

All this talk of him being on 800K is apparently the result of the many backended deals at the club and he would've agreed to it - it doesn't mean he's worth that per annum over the length of next contract.

We've all got no idea really what players get and the intricacies of the cap but I reckon you could 10 different accountants to look at the same figures and they'd come up with 10 different balance sheets.

Ramrod said:
The Core Group comprises of The Stewart Bros, Steve Matai, Keiran Foran, Anthony Watmough, Jamie Lyon, Jason King and Matt Ballin. Their loyalty to each other have been so great that they have sacrificed greater salary to stay at our club. It all started when those players viewed the loyalty of Steve Menzies to be a one club player was something they want to aspire to. Now, this Core Group is being threatened with being torn apart by the club’s delay in re-signing Gifty (the major factor who helped us win the 2008 and 2011 grand finals).

I think there is merit in this 'core group' theory, but I would put Brent Kite in that 'core group' too and he is unfortunately already gone.

HappilyManly said:
The core group is Killer, Foz, DCE, Hiku and potentially Buhrer to complete the Spine. The changing of the guard is upon the 2004 group.

Let's hope Albert Torrens, Kylie Leuluai, Solomon Haumono, Scott Donald, Daniel Heckenberg, Jye Mullane , Nathan Tutt, Andrew Walker, Chad Randall and Shayne Dunley are up for it.

The $800k that Glenn is supposedly on this year does not make a difference. The talk is his contract may not be renewed for next year when he is off contract. The club needs to make him an offer which they can afford to pay him (it may not be what he is worth) but at least put something on the table for him and see where it ends up.

bones said:
HappilyManly said:
The core group is Killer, Foz, DCE, Hiku and potentially Buhrer to complete the Spine. The changing of the guard is upon the 2004 group.

Let's hope Albert Torrens, Kylie Leuluai, Solomon Haumono, Scott Donald, Daniel Heckenberg, Jye Mullane , Nathan Tutt, Andrew Walker, Chad Randall and Shayne Dunley are up for it.

Those guys did a magnificent job of keeping things going after Gary Winter and Grant Wooden left the 2002 'core group'.

On BSB this morning, they said Manly and Glenn's management have been talking for 7 months. If there's been no discussion of a contract offer, WTF have they been talking about? Is it a case of the club hasn't made an offer, or the club hasn't made ACCEPTABLE offer? Gifty is one of my all-time favourite players, and the 'core group's' loyalty to him is commendable, but there's a few things that don't sit right with me about this.

Firstly, this notion of a 'core group', implies if a player or staff member is not in this inner sanctum, they are inconsequential, which is nonsense. Like or not, the founder, godfather and key component of the 'core group' that supposedly created this culture, was one D Hasler. We seem to be travelling ok without him, despite the doom and gloom that was predicted for our great club.

Secondly, I don't remember any such uprising from the 'core group' when Kite was shown the door. That was just business. I would suggest Kite had a fair bit to do with the culture of the club, both on and off the field, over the last few years. Seems some players pick and choose who they stick up for, despite this unbreakable bond the whole team shares.

Finally, the anger seeping into this site for DCE is disturbing. I believe it comes from and unsubstantiated story that the Stewarts and DCE don't get on. Something laughed off by all parties, and the team doesn't play like there are any rifts there. Look at Souths! There is a team in which there is obviously something wrong. I don't see that at Manly.

I hope the club offer Gift the maximum they can afford taking into account all factors. I hope Gift views that acceptable. If not, and he goes elsewhere, it will be hard to take, but that's business. He'll take with him one the best skill sets I've seen in a forward in along time, but he won't take our culture, that belongs to Manly, not any one player, or 'core group' of players.

How do you guys know how much of a pay cut each player has taken? Where do I find this information out? Or do you guys just like speculating because the players have told you about their pay cuts? Yeah, I am certain players wouldn't bend the truth to support their arguments. Hmmm...

mosto said:
On BSB this morning, they said Manly and Glenn's management have been talking for 7 months. If there's been no discussion of a contract offer, WTF have they been talking about?
The weather?

Whether it happens now or in a year or two
our senior players WILL be faced with this issue......no-one can stay forever. I feel it's preferrable we lose and replace our champions gradually, rather than en-masse. Kitey was the first really, tho Beaver was in a similar bind.

I've said we owe Gift the best offer we can, and swiftly, but there are, unfortunately, a slew of good prospects coming thru, too.

Just WISH they'd resolve this so we can get back to the bloody footy!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4