CORE GROUP Manifesto

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
Manly is at a crossroad right now.

Manly's “Core Group” that have promoted and enhanced the player culture at Manly for many seasons may be torn apart. This culture is the envy of every club and it’s no surprise that the other clubs have been buying our staff and players hoping that the culture will rub off on their club too. It has now been reported that the Bulldogs are showing great interest in Glenn Stewart. Perhaps they could use him to lure another target they have always wanted to take from Manly, and that being Keiran Foran.

The Core Group comprises of The Stewart Bros, Steve Matai, Keiran Foran, Anthony Watmough, Jamie Lyon, Jason King and Matt Ballin. Their loyalty to each other have been so great that they have sacrificed greater salary to stay at our club. It all started when those players viewed the loyalty of Steve Menzies to be a one club player was something they want to aspire to. Now, this Core Group is being threatened with being torn apart by the club’s delay in re-signing Gifty (the major factor who helped us win the 2008 and 2011 grand finals).

The argument from some fans have been that it’s better to sign younger prospects than to retain old stars. I beg to differ. Whilst it’s important to look to the future, I don’t believe we should do it at the expense of tearing the fabric of the club's culture and breaking up a successful team. Then there’s the issue about injuries hampering certain players value. You can’t put a price on what that individual does for the team behind the scenes – maintaining player solidarity, then coaching and nurturing younger players.

There has also been an article in the papers about one of our younger mega star who demands a massive price hike or he’ll walk. The question is, will Manly jeopardize harmony, culture, experience, stability, success, just to please one player (who'll probably walk away from our club for more money in the future anyway) or keep the Core Group to ensure we’ll always be able to stay on top?

As Choc has stated, “Footy’s not a business at our club, we’re a family.”
Matai said, “I’m sure if Glenn goes, there will be a few boys reconsidering re-signing here.”

Peta Hiku said, “If I wanted to play fullback, I’d have to go elsewhere, but I don’t mind playing anywhere in the backline as long as I am playing in the team with a bunch of mates you like.”

It’s a no brainer. If we ripped up the Core Group, nobody wants to hang around, including those young guns that we would like to keep. I’d rather keep the Core Group at discounted price than to pay over-inflated price of one individual and never get anywhere. You want an example? Try, Thurston. Do we want to be like the Cowboys? Some signs of brilliance but never achieving anything of substance!

MissKate said:
Maybe the 'core group' can spend their time usefully and come up with a solution instead of just complaining about things

Nice.
I'm sure they would not have complained if they have a solution.
They have already taken pay cuts to stay.
Perhaps if you have a solution for them, you won't have to complain about them complaining.
That can be useful too.

Ramrod said:
MissKate said:
Maybe the 'core group' can spend their time usefully and come up with a solution instead of just complaining about things

Nice.
Perhaps if you have a solution for them, you won't have to complain about them complaining.
That can be useful too.
Alleged pay cuts, if Glenn is supposed to be on $800k this season, what would he be on without a pay cut

I actually agree….i would pay to keep gift - not overs, but enough to have him say hey i can get more away at other clubs but i want to stay so i will sign. If we can keep this core group together for another 3years then i reckon we can make another GF in that time frame. If DCE gets offered a fortune away then so be it….he needs to get with the manly culture as well, i.e. taking less money to stay with a great group of guys, great training venue and awesome place to live….

MissKate said:
Ramrod said:
MissKate said:

Nice.
That can be useful too.
Alleged pay cuts, if Glenn is supposed to be on $800k this season, what would he be on without a pay cut

If he's getting anywhere near that for "one" season, it's probably due to the back-ending of his contract from Des-imator. Otherwise, it's not a normal annual net worth.

Why is there always some article every bloody year that try's to derail Manly's premiership hopes? Sad fact is that you can't keep everyone and if players don't want to hang around so be it.
I don't care who leaves I will still support The Mighty Sea Eagles.

COMMANDER said:
Cage fight.

Throw 4 million in a cage and let them sort it out amongst themselves.

Steve Matai would come out with 3.5 million!

Don't know about that isn't Buhrer a blackbelt?
He could kick box Matai to the head lol.

COMMANDER said:
Cage fight.

Steve Matai would come out with 3.5 million in one hand! while holding his neck with the other hand.

Fixed :D

MissKate said:

It's not their job to find a solution.

bones said:
MissKate said:

What if there is no ideal solution, the club can only do what they can within the cap. Would the 'core group' prefer the club cheat the cap just to keep the team together. Would they be happy to play for no points for a couple of seasons so that everyone can stay at the club. I doubt there is a perfect solution, something will have to give.

It's also not their job to hold the club to ransom

The Eagle Has Landed said:
Why is there always some article every bloody year that try's to derail Manly's premiership hopes? Sad fact is that you can't keep everyone and if players don't want to hang around so be it.
I don't care who leaves I will still support The Mighty Sea Eagles.

COMMANDER said:
Cage fight.

Steve Matai would come out with 3.5 million!

Don't know about that isn't Buhrer a blackbelt?
He could kick box Matai to the head lol.

I remember in 2011 when we played the Cows in the first week of the semis. Matty Bowen pulled Matai's hair......Joey Johns was on the Roast and said Matai was going to eat him!!! I can believe it. He would be truly scary!

But don't forget guile and cunning. With Guile and fleet of hand, Killer and DCE might walk out with a mill each and no-one knows what happened??

And then you'll get Mr Nice Guy....Matty Ballin.....Mr underestimated.....walking out with a mill as well, as no-one sees him as a threat!

MissKate said:
bones said:
MissKate said:

What if there is no ideal solution, the club can only do what they can within the cap. Would the 'core group' prefer the club cheat the cap just to keep the team together. Would they be happy to play for no points for a couple of seasons so that everyone can stay at the club. I doubt there is a perfect solution, something will have to give.

It's also not their job to hold the club to ransom

There is a solution.
I've noticed you have not pointed out that if a certain halfback did not demand between $900K to $1Mill or he'll walk, then perhaps there might be more money floating about. That would be what you would call --- not hold the club to ransom. The ideal thing would be an even money pay for all top line players. No one has more or less.

What a cop out and disempowering belief. I know I'd want to take a proactive role if it was my future.

bones said:
MissKate said:

effnic said:
Snake said:
I would rather DCE leave than Glenn.

WOW!! Glad your not running our club.

I love Cherry and I think he is a wonderful footballer, but after everything Glenn has done for the Eagles, I just can't fathom him playing for another club.

Success is not about having the "best" individual players. It's a team sport about relationships. Somebody already pointed out the plight of the cowboys with JT. Most people know that much of Bennet's coaching success comes from this, as does the short-comings of a coach like Smith. IF this was an issue, with DCE putting financial gain above a reasonable contract with the chance to be part of a great team and culture, then I would let him go without hesitation.

effnic said:
Snake said:
I would rather DCE leave than Glenn.

WOW!! Glad your not running our club.

And they say women are the emotional ones.
While I applaud the overwhelming sentiment here, I have to say Glenn has been paid well for what he has DONE. Recently he has spent a fair whack of times on the sidelines injured or on the field trying to get over injuries. There have been threads about him running sideways and holding up the ball, suggestions that he isn't as good without Brett to offload to. And then there's the temper which led to 'the Battle of Brookie' and is always in danger of exploding at the wrong time.
Yes he has played brilliantly for us and has been paid. As has the rest of the core group - and don't get me started the damage a smug 'core group' can have in any workplace!
I have supported The Mighty Sea Eagles since before Glenn Stewart was born and we seem to have always had the exact same winning culture. Don't let emotion pull the wool over your eyes kids!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6