Corby gets 20

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
based on the evidence and the legal system there she had to be convicted. and the judge had never found anyone innocent in over 500 cases so why start now with an Australian. and based on the legal system he had no choice.

someone on ME said she should be set free as Australia have assisted the Indonesian government with aid etc. no way should or would that ever happen.

on to a different matter slightly related, if you want to read about corruption read the book "Marching Powder" it is about an english man caught with Coke in Bolivia and ended up spending time in the now famous San Pedro prison. Awesome read!!!!

Good book Garts- I wanted to go over and stay in the prison for a night but they no longer let tourists in there.

another book similar is "Damage Done" which I am sure most have heard of since it involves Paul Hayward a former Jets player from the 70's. You read that PJ?

I haven't all the views.

But

I think she's Guilty and 20 years is too long. It's a sad situation.

she did the crime over there, thats the punishment nuff said.

Garts the Damage Done is a great book

Daniel read Marching Powder, even better I think.

I read the Damage Done in 1 day, probably more like an afternoon. could not put it down once I started.

I was told about it a while ago when telling someone about "Marching Powder" and made a mental note to get hold of it- I'd forgotten about it till now so thanks for jogging the memory!

another one to get is "killing pablo"

its about Pablo Escobar the colombian drug lord. another great read.

Can I have a spiel?
LOL

She could well be guilty and the media thing... well tis bad.

And yep, 20 years is too much.

Especially considering that it is a strict liability offence. That means there is no defence (diesn't matter who put the drugs there... the fact is that they are there). In Australia with the same standard of evidence as presente dby the prosecution in her trial, she'd be let off.
But I really am concerned with strict liability, especially with such a harsh sentencing regime. It is terrible when this situation is coming from a country that encourages and depends upon tourism.

I will say it again.

"SHE ISNT IN AUSTRALIA"

actually heard from a reliable source last night that people claim to have purchased merchandise from her in Australia.

Doesn't matter if she's in Australia or not. More concerned about all those suffering under a "justice" system that is oppressive & harsh.
Any country that actively encourages visitors to their shores should, as a matter of principle, have a justice system that lives up to international standards...
I mean, harsh sentencing yeah thyat's ok. I'm sure all would be fine with that. But it's a strict liability offence. Mens rea (the mental element) need not be in existence. If anyone goes there & they were set up for it & get caught... straight in gaol.
Also there would citizens in gaol and being executed who had no choice but to deal in drugs. There are always at least mitigating factors, if not a defense. But these cannot be explored.

the thing im most worried about (weather she's guilty or not) is the state of their gails.. ive heard theres only one gross toilet she has to share, and that lots of people in the have AIDS and other yuk diseases.. thats pretty dangerous and disgusting.. imo no one should be forced to live in that..

Doesn't matter if she's in Australia or not. More concerned about all those suffering under a \"justice\" system that is oppressive & harsh.
Any country that actively encourages visitors to their shores should, as a matter of principle, have a justice system that lives up to international standards...
I mean, harsh sentencing yeah thyat's ok. I'm sure all would be fine with that. But it's a strict liability offence. Mens rea (the mental element) need not be in existence. If anyone goes there & they were set up for it & get caught... straight in gaol.
Also there would citizens in gaol and being executed who had no choice but to deal in drugs. There are always at least mitigating factors, if not a defense. But these cannot be explored.

Hopium, welcome to the real world honey!.

This is the way it is. Indonesia believe their "oppressive" and harsh legal system is fair. Maybe ours is too lenient!

If you want to become a lawyer, you best lose the bleeding heart rather quickly. Lets look at the evidence.

Schapelle went to indonesia
Schapelle took a body board & body Board bag
The body board bag was found with 4KG of Pot in it.

Anything she says is speculative only and there is no proof. There is more evidence that she is guilty and she is now convicted of said crime.

that is as much as pain killers will allow me to go into as its hard enough to form a sentence

eagleangle, again thats what you face when you break the law in that country. Nuff said.

I think i would prefer there to perpignan in france

I wonder if all of the people complaining about the treatment of Schapelle Corby care about the treatment of Asylum seekers in Australia. Certain laws everywhere suck arse.

I wonder if any of them remember the Australian executed for similar offenses.

I wonder if they remember the guy getting the caning in Singapore for grafiti.

Like you say Volley, I wonder if they care about the Asylum seekers!

What is apparant to me is the effect the media has on so many. We get told that the asylum seekers are bad, but not that bad. We get told that schapelle is getting treated badly and there is outrage because she is Australian.

Sorry Hopium but you can only learn so much from books and study. You need to expand what you are reading also

Expand??? EXPAND? Me? I read a ****load. I know the laws, the criminology and the sociological reasons & theories behind strict liability.

I read as much as is humanly possible.

Just cause there are alot of **** things out there doesn't mean it can't change.

I am allowed to have a heart. It's how improvements are made. It's how laws progress and become fair. Law is in constant development. It should not and cannot be allwed to stagnate.
Yes, that is how the world is right now, but without people who care and want to do something, how will it change for the better? I know I'm not going to be in the money. But I want to make a difference. And I will.

Most lawyers (and economists I'm sure) can see that Indo is shooting its own foot. This is bad publicity for an economy that depends quite heavily on tourism.

Oh and the evidence? Pitiful. Definately not enough there. Fingerprints were not checked. Evidence was mishandled. Put any of what they had in a court here and a judge would tell them to do their job properly - even a conservative judge. And we have some VERY conservative judges.

As I said before, the problem with strict liability is that there is no mens rea element taken into account. It creates a kangaroo court with a backwards justice system.

I care about all subjected to such a system. I've always hated strict liability. It doesn't work as a deterrence measure - and that is what it is meant to be.
Innocent people are regularly caught up in the system... because it is a system that does not take into account any possibility that it could have been planted whatsoever.

And in indo & bali... those victim to the laws (generally the poorest) don't really get much of a say.So in the end, it's not fair. It's very very very (to make a blunt point) stupid.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6