Congratulations G. Toovey.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sheens Tigers 10th. Bennetts Knights 12th, Smith Roosters 13th, Warriors last years Grand Finalists 14th, Cleary Panthers 15th. Kearny Parra last. 2V first year coach TOP 4!!!

Well done Geoff and the rest of the coaching staff cannot win every year so bye bye to the 2012 season and lets get on with 2013.

It was a very solid debut in extremely difficult circumstances.

It will obviously take time to work out whether or not Tooves has what it takes (as it did with Des), but the signs are encouraging.

I have no doubt he learnt a lot this year and I expect him to improve tremendously next year.

lismore_fan said:
Hey Brookie, Guess what ?
Des wasn't here. But here's a better idea - why not follow him over to the Dogs!

Tooves DID a good job but the proof of the pudding will be NEXT year.
I wish him the very best and I'm sure he'll do Manly proud.
He has my backing and I'm sure 99% of Manly supporters' backing!

Sadly Brookie, you're in the other 1%.

I'm with you Lismore in the 99%. I think for the job he was handed, all the reports at the beginning of the season we were going to implode and lose all our stars, he did a fantastic job getting us in the top 4. Well done Tooves. Not to mention he will be better for the experience next year.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

Excluding salary cap cheating clubs, when was the last time the reigning Premiers reached the Grand Final Qualifier? Roosters in 2004 maybe? It's very tough to go back to back and 2V did great to get as close to the GF as he did.

Ryan said:
castle eagle said:
lets not forget that with all the contract dramas, the boardroom fights injuries, the retaining of some important players through the year & crap in the media tooves has done a bloody good job.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua / Ben Farrar
03. Steve Matai / Dean Whare
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams / Michael Oldfield
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans / Liam Foran
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Tony Williams
13. Glenn Stewart / Daniel Harrison

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. Darcy Lussick / Vic Mauro
16. George Rose / Tim Robinson
17. Joe Galuvao / Nick Skinner

I look at that roster, and all I can do mate, with all due respect, is disagree with you.

Again, I don't quite understand why people under estimate this roster? We got rolled against the lowest teams in the NRL. We got rolled in two of three finals. We got rolled in a WCC.

Yeah - spot on we had that roster fully fit all year.....

You may or may not recall an article that touched on the WCC - Tooves wanted the team to have a good time and bond first and foremost, especially after dramas the preceding months, I think his words were to the effect of "they didn't get a chance to celebrate". I also recall an interview at the time where it was clear Toovey put very little importance on that match. In that instance I'll trust his judgement, maybe just maybe it wasn't that we "got rolled" it was that he knew a long season was ahead and this game was not "the big dance"

Great effort from Tooves in his 1st year with all the difficult circumstances he had to face.

This season will stand him in good stead for next year

Yep, great year in my opinion.
As Premiers there is always a target on your back the following year, so to make the 2nd last game is a remarkable achievement. He was on hiding to nothing really.
Only two wins behind first & 5 ahead of 8th after a "roller coaster" season is bloody good. The Dogs and the Bunnies are rejoicing at their best seasons in years and we lament coming up short.

bones said:
Excluding salary cap cheating clubs, when was the last time the reigning Premiers reached the Grand Final Qualifier? Roosters in 2004 maybe? It's very tough to go back to back and 2V did great to get as close to the GF as he did.

Penrith did it in 2004 after winning 2003. That was the last time it was done legally.

Brisbane (2001) and Roosters (2003) are the only two other clubs to do it in the NRL era.

Put into perspective, it has been a massively successful year for Toovey in his first as the coach. A steep learning curve that is obvious given the ups and downs, but I'm sure that being better placed to run with the club this off-season, we'll continue our run of finals appearances at the very least.

StuBoot said:
Yep, great year in my opinion.
As Premiers there is always a target on your back the following year, so to make the 2nd last game is a remarkable achievement. He was on hiding to nothing really.
Only two wins behind first & 5 ahead of 8th after a "roller coaster" season is bloody good. The Dogs and the Bunnies are rejoicing at their best seasons in years and we lament coming up short.

You could say just one win away from first if we won the Dogs v Manly game at Brookie ......then we would have finished in a tie for the minor premiership.

agree that toovs did wonderfully well, all things considered.

but also a big shout out to the boys themselves, for sticking together and not being overly tempted of just going off with de$mond...of course, we all know that business is business, contracts are contracts etc, but i think the way fozzie, for example, handled himself and stayed true to the maroon and whites showed some strong character as well. the fact that so few of the boys have even wanted to leave (some of those who are have even said they actually do not want to...) shows that they know when they are on a good thing ;-)

so well done to not only toovs, but all the lads as well, for not losing their collective heads!!! the show goes on!!!

glad i'm not a parra fan.

I think Toovey did well this year on debut.

There was so much to deal with in a negative sense club / Des wise & lump injuries and the judiciary on top of that - the pressure of everything being played out in the media did not help either to stable the ranks.

I said earlier this year on this forum that on average it takes 12 months to settle into a job. Toovey will have learnt a lot from this year.

I hope next year we just go about our business, out of the spotlight & come out and win it again.:shy:

PS The less players in Origin will help our cause.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8