Conditioning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Seeing Dan Ferris get the arse at the Dogs got me thinking...

Should we keep Donny?

I gotta say, we don’t look fit. The single most important ingredient before everything else is line speed. It sets the tone for defence and attack comes off the back off handling the opposition in defence.

Unfortunately, to have, and maintain line speed, you need to be fit. We have some of the poorest line speed in the game. The other thing line speed does, is prevent the opposition attack from having time with the ball to make decisions. Our edges get pulled apart, week in, week out, because we allow the opposition so much time to size us up.

Either the players aren’t playing for Des, or they’re unfit. The intensity in defence is simply not good enough.

This is a bigger problem than recruitment and retention. You don’t lose 38-0 because Des picked a player at centre that we don’t think is good enough. It’s endemic across the board.

It's strange to think that a Hasler coached side is not fit because he was a fitness madman; there was no-one fitter, so perhaps they are over-trained?

Probably the single most compelling factor in explaining this team's performances to date.

As you've mentioned, it's either mental, or a fitness issue. Could there be a third explanation? Has Des lost his edge?

Either way, the responsibility lies with Donny and Des

It's strange to think that a Hasler coached side is not fit because he was a fitness madman; there was no-one fitter, so perhaps they are over-trained?
I hear you.

What we are told versus The reality

"Des is a mad scientist" our game looks tired and predictable

"Des has amazing attention to detail" Manly ranks 16th in discipline

"Des was fit so his team must be" Our line speed sucks and way off the pace

We look gassed earlier in games than we should but I think it's more down to losing the middle and errors causing us to do an excessive amount of defence. Penrith are our polar opposites, they control the game so well they have energy to burn.

Surely it's the errors that have us defending constantly from the start. It's discipline rather than fitness. But I can't, for the life of me, figure why we have such rubbish discipline.
How does that happen in a team?

dessie does like to time his run. many teams like the dragons fly out of the blocks every season only to drift. there are many reasons for this but until the season is dusted it will be hard to tell if this was a plan. his best seasons have had timing all over them and he has been on record many times mentioning it

no doubt we look off the pace in many areas. our line speed for sure which is also a symptom of controlling or losing the ruck

I think we have been a bit prop heavy for a while and our back row doesnt have the same effectiveness as other teams and always seems in balanced. there are no destructive runs from oku who seems to be able to beat men in traffic but rarely gets the opportunity to wind up in space

jake slows our middle and cramps our edges as we stack halves, backrower, centre and wing into tight spaces too often and still want tom to chime in between. its a short ball tactic with quick hands but only foran and parker execute this . our back row work very hard and are great players but we get little out of them in attack

our starts can be diabolical and not just kick offs and too often heaps pressure on the defence and team, which is mentally brittle to begin with. the players in this side have been subjected to very little footy that could be considered " the grind" so mentally havnt tested themselves in prolonged defence and still won the game. this is pretty important in all sports to absorb and win, we are kings of absorb and lose but havnt found the other path enough to consider it part of the teams make up

Nathan Gibbs and Rahme left in the offseason because they disagreed with Donny's proposed strength and training program for this year

They were correct as we don't look fit or strong enough compared to other teams

A heap of injuries and 3 AC joint injuries this year already suggests something is not right

Hopefully its just a time your run thing. But i think in todays game theres no need to time your run.
Need to be ready and firing from round 1 just to make the 8

Nathan Gibbs and Rahme left in the offseason because they disagreed with Donny's proposed strength and training program for this year

They were correct as we don't look fit or strong enough compared to other teams

A heap of injuries and 3 AC joint injuries this year already suggests something is not right
Hopefully its just a time your run thing. But i think in todays game theres no need to time your run.
Need to be ready and firing from round 1 just to make the 8
Tookey and Cliffy should be our strength and conditioning coaches.
Bungas and Big Macs at half time.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4