Cocaine test traps Cowboy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

August 24, 2006 - 3:38PM

Mitchell Sargent ... may face two-year ban.

The drugs crisis that is about to rock league

North Queensland prop Mitchell Sargent may face a two year ban after returning a positive drugs test.

Sargent, who represented NSW Country earlier this year, is understood to have tested positive to cocaine.

The Cowboys are expected to announce that they have sacked Sargent and informed the NRL of the test result.

A drugs tribunal hearing is expected to be convened as soon as possible.

News of the positive follows the Herald's report on Tuesday of an increased campaign by the newly formed Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

The Herald revealed today that the Cowboys had begun in-house drugs testing.

mmmmm.....I'm sure he's not the only one to have indulged in the charlie chan...but I'll leave it at that!

Idiot, is the ban the same for a rec drug as it is for a performance enhancing one?

Mata will be gutted, he was always going on about him.

It really gets up my nose that recreational drugs that have no impact on bettering performance are cause for losing ones livlihood. Is Gallop tested? If they are doing that why not outlaw needles? Surely they are performance enhansing.

It really gets up my nose that recreational drugs that have no impact on bettering performance are cause for losing ones livlihood. Is Gallop tested? If they are doing that why not outlaw needles? Surely they are performance enhansing.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Why are these drugs called "recreational". They are illegal drugs. The word recreational conjures up images of a day at the beach or a game of tennis or a few drinks with your mates at the footy.

Lets call a spade a spade, cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy or whatever "recreational drug" you may wish to name are illegal substances and unless the laws of this country are changed users of illegal substances should be punished accordingly.

I have no sympathy for persons that indulge in illegal activities and then the bleeding heartds come to their defence.when they are caught. I think the saying "if cant do the time, don't do the crime" fits aptly.

[quote author=DSM5]

Why are these drugs called "recreational". They are illegal drugs. The word recreational conjures up images of a day at the beach or a game of tennis or a few drinks with your mates at the footy.

Lets call a spade a spade, cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy or whatever "recreational drug" you may wish to name are illegal substances and unless the laws of this country are changed users of illegal substances should be punished accordingly.

I have no sympathy for persons that indulge in illegal activities and then the bleeding heartds come to their defence.when they are caught. I think the saying "if cant do the time, don't do the crime" fits aptly.
[/quote]

What kills more?

Alcohol and tobacco (legal substances)

or

Cocaine and marijuana (illegal substances)

What kills more?

Alcohol and tobacco (legal substances)

or

Cocaine and marijuana (illegal substances)

Not that I disagree with you Mata, but what is more readily available of the four that you have put forward? It plays a big part in the end...

Obviously alcohol and tobacco are terrible drugs, and they kill an insane amount of people, but the fact of the matter is that if coke was sold at the newsagent I think it'd have a fair few more deaths than are reported in the papers these days...

[quote author=DSM5]

[/quote]

Yeah if Mitchell Sargeant, Andrew Walker and company are the only one's doing it ....but they're not- not by a bloody long shot.
Cast the web wide enough and you will have quite an embarrassing situation for the game.
Fair enough run in house tests and punish players in house becasue obviously clubs want players in peak form and not dancing around on a wing to Carl Cox with glow sticks BUT ....it does seem mightly unfair and hypocritical that there are plenty getting away with it.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander- test the officials as well!
This is a social problem and to splash peoples heads across the back of athe Tele and portray them as druggies is way off the mark- I'd be interested to see an honest poll of players and officials who have tried recreactional drugs (note the word 'honest') I think if these people were being honest it would be most of them.
Actually I would be interested to see how many on Silvertails have tried an illegal substance- I'd say a majority- I know I have and I wouldn't consider myself a druggie....well not anymore :p ;)

Actually I would be interested to see how many on Silvertails have tried an illegal substance- I'd say a majority- I know I have and I wouldn't consider myself a druggie....well not anymore :p ;)

We took a survey last year and it ran at something like 95%.

So as no one else has asked the question, I will, knowing there we be some colorful responses: He aint a bad player, in fact he's pretty good. Do we do as we did with Walker, give this guy a second chance, or do we say "your a problem waiting to happen - F%$k off" - keep in mind with the insults for suggesting this but we do need some forwards next year!

give him another chance I say- think of all the higher profile players who get away with it!

I'd have him, no problems at all.

The Cowboys are crazy for performing in house testing as far as I'm concerned.

Why sack a good player if he is not doing anything wrong.

If I speed on my way home and I'm not caught in the process, my parents are hardly going to take my car away from me are they.

Did anyone else find it ironic and hilarious watching mason on the footy show last night during the discussion about sargent?

Mason could not sit still, kept shifting from side to side

I thought the same thing. It was like you could see him going through in his head telling himself not to say something stupid it was quite amusing

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6