coaches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I for one am sick of coaches having there heads consistently on the media chopping block. Players have lost respect for the coach, players this, players that. In some cases i can accept this but every time a team has a losing sequence the players dis associate themselves from there responsibility of being a contract employee, rest on there collective laurels and deliver a piss poor result.

At penrith we have heard all year how the players love Elliott, how he is getting the **** end of the shovel and a player revolt is around the corner. They dump him appoint the assistant Georgie gorgallis and then the same starts when Gould appoints cleary. Why wasn't Georgie given a go, Fair dinkum. What happened to Matty boys ??.

Then the roosters appoint Elliott as assistant and there are calls for him to replace smith who cant coach this July but got them to the GF 10 months ago. Nothing of a recruitment policy that has netted them every wanker this side of the equator,many of which were outside of smiths control. Not saying smith is the man but Elliot got sacked for being a bad coach 15 minutes ago

Many many people work for bosses they don't like, It doesn't necessarily make them a bad boss but footy players seem to want it all. As we all know in the real world getting a boss that ticks all the boxes is rare but it doesn't give anyone the right to not give what they are paid to do. Now i know this happens in the real world as well but geez louise, in the end we all set our own standards in life

We readily applaud our players for there toughness, there resilience, there intestinal fortitude but dead set there are some soft cocks mentally amongst them. Its a strange man that can play footy with broken bones, run up sand hills until they vomit and then do it again, but then whine like schoolgirl when the boss gets shafted. Maybe , just maybe that whining is a sign of there conscience as deep down they know the wrong man is being punted for there lack of effort.

In footy there will always be winners and losers but the amount of teams that are being accused of not putting in is at epic proportions. Ive never seen so many half arsed efforts as the last 5 years

Gotta admit though this stuff seems to happen at manly a lot less than most clubs

In the words of Mary Poppins ( which if feel is fitting) and if your old enough to remember it

Super/pampered/unrealistic/blame/it/on/the/coaches
even when we hear of it, we know it sounds atrocious
better make the coach the goat or other clubs will poach us
Super/pampered/unrealistic/blame/it/on/the/coaches

I totally James, the coaches are often the scape goats.

I'm sure sometimes the coaches are **** and need to go, but as you said the players can be **** and the coach still gets the blame.

Good example is Moore, some of the crap that the Dogs have been doing on field isn't coached, it's just poor performance by players. Barba wasn't coached to play the way he did last w/end, he just had a very bad game.

I don't totally agree with you but some coaches do cop more blame then they deserve.

At the end of the day though it is their job to ensure the team wins games so it's why their heads are on the chopping block when things go wrong. They choose the players in the team so if someone is playing like arse then the question has to be asked, why was he picked?

If a team is underperforming in an office situation then questions will no doubt be asked of the manager. It's no different in footy.

Yeah some coaches cop a lot more than others and it's hard to know who is deserving of the bad press or not.
I'm sure some of it comes from the media and certain journalist's agenda's or certain people at the clubs who feed the rumour's and innuendo when have don't agree with the current coaches and want to force change.
With regard's to why do they pick them, they only have limited squad's and they can only change them at end of the season unlike office situation's where they can hire whenever .

Interesting that some coaches are sacrosanct and others not so.. Look at Sheens and Stuart. Five years without making the eight after 2005, and Sheens has no problems staying on. Stuart hops out of a club and then walks out on his next club and is rewarded with a job for the Blues. Elliot and Smith after making the semis, have a crap season and they're gone. Not that I care though, but keeping Sheens and Stuart around seems strange. My guess is that Moore is a nothing coach and probably deserves to get the chop. He had nothing except a name really.

Let's consider the coaches in the firing line recently:

1. Matt Elliot - Won Nothing
2. Kevin Moore - Won Nothing
3. Brian Smith - Won Nothing

How many of those three would you consider a good coach that you would consider having at Manly.

I thought so. I can't blame those clubs for blaming the coach.

maybe ive written this poorly as it was more about the players not accepting enough responsability and being very fickle from one week to another about there coach at penrith especially

But if smith, elliott and co ars so bad how did they get the gig, and did they forget how to coach in the off season as both clubs had better years last year and competed at a consistently high level. What changed from being world beaters to being not interested

The difference fo me about a manager as to a coach is mainly. If either give there employee firm insructions the tools and the capacity to do a job and the employee doesnt follow instructions or is lazy why sack the boss

Now i am not saying they have to win every game but they have to have a dig

the salary cap. contracts and the second tier cap also make massive contributions on what ability you have to manouvre with as far as players are concerned. Also unless a coach has been at the helm for about 5 years and are one of the few coaches that actually get what they demand, very few actually have a squad by there own design

Has the cap eroded the depth so much, that competition at clubs is so poor for spots that we get very lazy efforts from some players, maybe this is partly to blame for some of the inept performances

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4