Club Structure / no NSW Cup is the issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Penn just needs to stump up the $$$

Something he doesn’t like doing.
I’m not judging the owners. I don’t pretend to know their financial situation. However I assume Blacktown have been receiving some form of financial remuneration. Perhaps that could be redirected to support one of the local clubs to move to NSW Cup. I suggested Belrose as they are currently playing at the highest level of all Northern Beaches clubs, albeit two levels below NSW Cup so it wouldn’t be an overnight thing.

It’s actually really sad we have to be talking about ownership and levels of funding.

The expectation of the fans, the culture and our own BOZO is that to run a a premier club you have to invest accordingly to that level.

FFS we are the Silvertails for crying out loud not the Fibro Tigpies.

Not being rude,but just responding to thoughts on here in regards to the central coast....
We linked our juniors to the area after our junior links to the sunshine coast in Qld got squashed officially by the NRL.
We backed out after it proved fruitless and the Roosters took over and gave it a shot and then they backed out and aligned with the Bears.
Just suggesting we should link with the CC has been tried and failed by not just us

Not being rude,but just responding to thoughts on here in regards to the central coast....
We linked our juniors to the area after our junior links to the sunshine coast in Qld got squashed officially by the NRL.
We backed out after it proved fruitless and the Roosters took over and gave it a shot and then they backed out and aligned with the Bears.
Just suggesting we should link with the CC has been tried and failed by not just us
And ... not being rude but if the clubs actually contributed to the areas they attempt to mine, the outcome might be altogether different. My cousin's son played for Blacktown when the link first happened and they were all really disappointed at what became a 'do as you're told, we'll take what we want, and don't expect anything from us' approach.

Manly certainly paid a price and definitely literally in propping up the A R L and allowing it at the time to have at least some parity with the Super League attempted takeover . Without that support , no sustainable A R L at the time but was still having issues being viable as a non privately operated organization . Delmerge and then the Penn "s naturally enabling Manly to be a single entity again but doubt that going to Super League at the time would have altered present club structure circumstances . Unless another private owner would have been prepared to inject a bit more capital but that is only on the margins . T P A "s are the big issue difference . Have to take into account that Manly still won premierships in 2008 and 11 in a financial situation and club structure arrangement not all that much different to the recent club set up arrangements . Don't think that a stand alone reserve grade format would help much at all . Just can "t have a 1 , 1 mil high quality full back on the sidelines for the majority of a season and a 1 . 3 mil half that sometimes can warrant that contract value . Manly have historically never placed that much of a premium on strong reserve grade sides , good if it was that easy to have strong squads right through the club grades but just not realistic for quite a few clubs . Bulldogs made the N S W cup G F this season . maybe as a result of devoting more resources to the lower grades . Maybe just also some effective recruiting .

And ... not being rude but if the clubs actually contributed to the areas they attempt to mine, the outcome might be altogether different. My cousin's son played for Blacktown when the link first happened and they were all really disappointed at what became a 'do as you're told, we'll take what we want, and don't expect anything from us' approach.
Without a doubt that would be true,but clubs don't do that,the Storm don't invest in the sunshine coast to be honest,the Dogs don't really invest in the north coast of NSW etc...
When you have so many kids wanting an opportunity it is very ruthless as a selection process and all the power is in the clubs and not the kids(collective bargaining for teenagers?)
Clubs just cherry pick the talent and do little else for regions,playing a game or two in a region does nothing really.
Maybe part of the tv deal should be a club grant to invest in juniors in a nominated region for each club,have no idea how to police that.

Penrith won the following in 2022
NRL Premiership
NSW Cup and State Championship
Jersey Flegg
SG Ball

Commentators also touched on the same topic as the original post during the Grand Final, that they train together and whenever there is a vacancy in their NRL squad, they are able to bring up the next in line from reserve grade and they don't miss a beat.

We need to take NSW Cup seriously for the development of our young players. Giving them the opportunity to play with and against fringe NRL players each week would greatly assist in growing their game and confidence. As a bit of an exercise I came up up with what could have been our full strength ‘reserve grade’ side this year. For this purpose I’ve assumed a fully fit NRL squad as follows:

Turbo
Garrick
Parker
Koula
Saab
Foz
DCE
Aloiai
Croker
Marty
Haumole
Schuster
Jake
Walker
Bullemor
Toff
Paseka

This is the reserve grade 17 I came up with:

1 Tuipolotu
2 Smalley
3 Harper
4 Ben
5 Jorge
6 Weekes
7 Humphreys
8 Fainu
9 Segayaro
10 Keppie
11 Lawton
12 Davey
13 Fulton
14 GCKT
15 De Luis
16 Boyle
17 Tu’itavake

To have young stars like Weekes, Humphreys, Fainu, Fulton, Tu’itavake, GCKT playing with NRL experienced players like Harper, Jorge, Segayaro, Keppie, Lawton, Davey and Boyle would have been hugely beneficial IMO.

What needs to happen is we need a reserve grade team that performs and challenges the first team. This season told us how much lack of depth we had and there was no one to challenge the first team and it especially exposed when the guys pulled out of the team over the jersey.

I have said it in many other discussions. Manly need to bring all of our players under the Manly umbrella so that they are coached the same and monitored.

The joint venture with Blacktown has run its course. Our reserve grade team needs investment to ensure the pathway to first grade is based on quality training and performances, something for far too long that we have not seen coming out of Blacktown!

Our alignment with Blacktown is a miserable failure. The Central Coast love their Rugby League. Wyong Rugby Leagues Club has over 55,000 members and they have a huge junior league on the Central Coast. However you can't do what the Roosters tried to do and swallow up their identity.

@RedEagle this has been a refreshing post for the first time in a while on Silvertails. Nice work.

Hopefully Mr Fluffy and Mestrov are taking notes.
Couldn’t agree more. My only complaint is why @RedEagle doesn't post more? Maybe he’s going for quality over quantity?. But the positive replies from some of Silvertails most learned members, suggests that they are impressed.
@Under the Sticks said it perfectly when describing your post as "Refreshing ".
Okay @RedEagle , don’t move now,as I’m about to remove my tongue from your ####. @:D :eek:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7