Club news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hmmm I dont read it that way

He is focusing on his "role", dessie and the coaching staff have probably defined what they want from Marty to best benefit the team and he is focused on that.

Very different to "I just focus on what I think is important out on the field"

To be honest I think this forum jumps at ghosts a little too oftem

Yeah ... but be careful ... every time I mention he is not a pack animal or a leader on the field ... the wee Jessie's get offended ..
Haha not offended and look I certainly wouldn't say he is a leader.

But I dont see him shirk his responsibilities and I certainly see him take plenty of tough hitups. So not really sure as a prop what he needs to do?

He isnt that JWH or Hethrington type, that is all firebrand and lip but that isnt the guys personality.

He does what he does very well IMO

Haha not offended and look I certainly wouldn't say he is a leader.

But I dont see him shirk his responsibilities and I certainly see him take plenty of tough hitups. So not really sure as a prop what he needs to do?

He isnt that JWH or Hethrington type, that is all firebrand and lip but that isnt the guys personality.

He does what he does very well IMO

I agree with you ... what he does as an individual is top shelf ... but I like a player, especially in the pack to be emotionally involved enough in the game, to be patting a team mate on the back and saying "let's go" .. or telling a team mate who dropped the ball .. "c'mon make up for it" ... and heaven forbid go back to the dark ages and go one in all in .... he just always appears to me to be apart from and not part of the team dynamic ...

Just on JHW ... I remember reading last year their win/loss ratio without him falls through the floor ...

Marty was one of quite a few Manly forwards who did not adjust all that well to the rule changes , the days of the hit and changing direction are redundant at the moment for gaining a ruck edge . Can certainly still utilize his effective off load in certain instances , unfortunately not as much with again the current rules . Powerful guy but on pretty decent money and really just requires some hard direct running from him and reasonably quick play the balls and he is or should be still capable of bending the line a bit , Never has been great on lateral defence but still has the strength and mobility to manage some effective tackling . Hope that he can put it together as a forward leader and with some good middle work this season , think that it was missing a bit last season .

I just wonder if Marty’s role isn’t better suited to two power surges in the game after the initial first 20 minutes.

These days post contact metres mean **** all, it’s more important to die with the ball and get a quick play the ball immediately afterwards.

So I wonder are we better suited to use other forwards who are really agile during the first 20, and then bring Marty on at the 21st minute mark to play until half time and then from the 61st minute until the end.

The aim during these periods being attack more so than defence.

Thoughts ???

I am a fan of Marty but I haven't seen him hitting with the impact he used to previously. He is gun shy as after being picked out by the refs and I would like to see him get he mongrel back in his game. Its amazing how big hits lift the rest of the pack.

I just wonder if Marty’s role isn’t better suited to two power surges in the game after the initial first 20 minutes.

These days post contact metres mean **** all, it’s more important to die with the ball and get a quick play the ball immediately afterwards.

So I wonder are we better suited to use other forwards who are really agile during the first 20, and then bring Marty on at the 21st minute mark to play until half time and then from the 61st minute until the end.

Thoughts ???
I think Marty off the bench works. I also think he should look for sneaky offloads; but more back-to-the-opposition offloads than the dangerous around-the-corner type, which end up on the deck half the time.

We are very dangerous when we get effective offloads; in fact, in the games we have done this well over the last few years our win rate sky-rockets. Marty could play that role off the bench when some of the heat has been taken out of the game.

I am a fan of Marty but I haven't seen him hitting with the impact he used to previously. He is gun shy as after being picked out by the refs and I would like to see him get he mongrel back in his game. Its amazing how big hits lift the rest of the pack.

Just like Skivvy now , the Refs are constantly watching and target him mercilessly.

There’s a cheat sheet I’m sure.

I think Marty off the bench works. I also think he should look for sneaky offloads; but more back-to-the-opposition offloads than the dangerous around-the-corner type, which end up on the deck half the time.

We are very dangerous when we get effective offloads; in fact, in the games we have done this well over the last few years our win rate sky-rockets. Marty could play that role off the bench when some of the heat has been taken out of the game.

Yes that’s the exact role I’m suggesting , rather than use him as a battering Ram use him as an attacking weapon.

Thoughts ???
Think that it pretty much the case of six of one and half a dozen of the other in terms of using our current prop grouping . Mentioned some time ago that bringing Marty on in the i st prop rotation may have its benefits but then Paseka or Alioia could have a similar good impact with their type of mobility and eagerness . Boyle is no slow coach and can do a decent job when introduced and Keppie should still have it but think that Saddler could really offer something with a bit more experience and top level play .

I’m a Marty fan always have been. But do agree his style needs to adjust somewhat. How good was that tackle on Cam Murray at Brookie a couple years back where he basically lifted him up over the line to stop him scoring. I’m confident he like the rest of the boys will lift their game in 21. Bring on Saturday!

Marty is absolutely one of my favorite players on this team, but I absolutely think he's himself before the team type of character. That's not a bad thing, quite a few elite players are.

I agree with you ... what he does as an individual is top shelf ... but I like a player, especially in the pack to be emotionally involved enough in the game, to be patting a team mate on the back and saying "let's go" .. or telling a team mate who dropped the ball .. "c'mon make up for it" ... and heaven forbid go back to the dark ages and go one in all in .... he just always appears to me to be apart from and not part of the team dynamic ...

Just on JHW ... I remember reading last year their win/loss ratio without him falls through the floor ...
1615254865403.png

What a legend this bloke was !

Always liked JWH when he was with us and knew he was going to be a hell of a player. I remember the one finals match he played with us, against Melbourne, in his rookie year. We were awful but he was pretty much the only player who didn't take a backwards step. On a list of "ones who got away", he's up near the top for me.

Hmmm I dont read it that way

He is focusing on his "role", dessie and the coaching staff have probably defined what they want from Marty to best benefit the team and he is focused on that.

Very different to "I just focus on what I think is important out on the field"

To be honest I think this forum jumps at ghosts a little too oftem
Totally agree feathered friend

The fact is....
We cannot focus and love others until we learn to focus on our selves and love our selves first

Too much negative thinking on here

Example...

Some Negative Nellies on here ask

What value I am getting from a Manly Sea eagle club membership ?
Is it a hat ? a sticker ? a fridge magnet ?

Answer ...
You get much more than that
You get your Club competing in the NRL

This may be Dramatic, It may be Graphic . But it is for Real
GIVE AND LIVE IN GLORY , OR TAKE THE EXTRA DOLLARS WITH YOU THAT YOU SAVE TO YOUR GRAVES
AND LIE YOUR LIFELESS CORPSE NEXT TO A LIFELESS NORTH SYDNEY BEAR
EmG8ZOOVoAE4gM6 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4