Cliff Lyons is a legend and Harrigan an was.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I agree that they don't make 'em like Cliffy anymore but if my memory serves me correctly, Daley was severely hobbled in late '91. I remember the grand final and he could barely run. Marty Bella was also out that day, wasn't he? I only watched the second half though and didn't notice him.

Marty was injured the week before, but played the 1st half but went off after 1 min of 2nd half.
Daly was running freely and doing kick n chases in this match.

I remember it well. I was a 9 year old living in Auckland (and still do)... my Dad grew up in Dee Why so I followed Manly since I watched Rugby League. I remember my heart being broken that day. Penrith beat North’s 16-14 to make the GF from memory.

I agree that they don't make 'em like Cliffy anymore but if my memory serves me correctly, Daley was severely hobbled in late '91. I remember the grand final and he could barely run. Marty Bella was also out that day, wasn't he? I only watched the second half though and didn't notice him.
Yeah you’re right. Daley was busted by the Grand Final... hamstring issues. That GF was amazing... Meninga’s tackle on Greg Barwick was out of this world, and of course Royce Simmons etched his name in history.

I remember watching it and my blood was boiling over how unfair it was. How did Harrigan get such a reputation for being a great referee. He obviously loathed Manly year in, year out and perhaps cost us a tilt at a premiership in 91. Love Cliffy but what a preening jerk Billy was and is.
Bill Harrigan - a controversial figure in many ways. I've never been a fan of the fellow as a referee. Harrigan drew way too much attention towards himself on the field for my liking. The fact that Harrigan wasn't particularly fond of those great Manly sides of that era is hard to dispute.
Apart from his dubious efforts against Manly and his dislike for Bob Fulton in particular, I will never forget that infamous tackle in State of Origin when Gordon Tallis manhandled/pushed/pulled Brett Hodgson over the touchline when momentum had plainly ended. Harrigan did not give a penalty to NSW (he should have) and the crowd roared with such appreciation of Tallis' determination. This iconic moment and Harrigan's decision to allow it has changed the way this rule has been interpreted in the NRL ever since. Yes, it was spectacular and great theatre - just illegal. Look it up on Youtube and judge for yourself. End result - today we see players pushed over the touchline match after match in gang tackles when momentum has ended. The field has essentially become smaller as a consequence - just what the modern game does not need. Thanks for that Bill - at least the crowd cheered and supported you.

Harrigan might think he's king ****, but watching all these old games has shown he ****ed up with dud calls just as much as the current bunch of referees. The only difference is less scrutiny and media attention about those dud calls back then. If anything he's worse than the current refs as his temper and holier than thou attitude made him a nightmare

I read a post on these boards once where a member referred to Harrigan was so cheating c$&t.

Those were the days.

Last edited:
Also had oconnor out. I was at that game and just watched it again too. Close to cliffy best ever game - just dominated. Daley looked ineffectual in comparison. A really brave performance from a bunch of journeymen like dunford, Chris white, the hooker who's name I have forgotten, jug head jones, all orchestrated by sir cliff. A game I have never forgotten and one that ranks right up there as one of our most courageous.
I have 300+ Manly games on disks & this is one of the very few with Manly loosing that I have kept. Fantastic effort by a team that no one gave any hope.
The hooker was Danny Russell.

Haven"t noticed a post from you recently and was a bit concerned a Dalek might have got you . Obviously you are too smart for them . Danny Russell originally from the Redcliffe Dolphins i think .

Franky Stokes was on the wing that day wasn't he? Legend ! I can remember Graham Lowe blubbering like a complete fool at the press conference saying how proud he was of 'em and all. If he was a real Manly man he would have been giving it to Harrigan like there was no tomorrow and demanding an investigation. He never got the Manly culture ! From memory some no-name like Garry Coyne scored a thousand tries for Canberra that day as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8