Cliff Lyons is a legend and Harrigan an was.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
Just watched the 1991 semi final between Manly and Canberra. Great game. Manly had Ian Roberts, Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey out injured.

Cliff Lyons had an unbelievable game, killed Laurie Daly and head and shoulders above anyone else on the field. There was one ball movement in the 2nd half where Lyons even fooled the cameraman as they went wide, Lyons double pumped and delicately turned the ball on the inside.
Hoskins and Cunningham were also very brave.

Referee Bill Harrigan had a huge being on the game by disallowing a try with 10 mins to go when a Manly player was taken out of the play, then calls the Lyons pass forward - why. The commentators agreed it was b.s.. that try and the try scored 5 mins later from a Lyons legend inside pass would have had Manly winning 4 points.
Then with Manly down by 2 points are tackling on their line. Jones gets knocked down, blood pouring down his forehead stays down injured. Harrigan penalizes Jones for lying in the ruck. Then Jones is carried off injured and concussed. Canberra take a tap before Jones is off the field and they score because Manly were not ready. Game over.
Glad Penrith won the gf.

Manly were brave, Lyons was brilliant and Harrigan obvious had calls that changed the game but so arrogant.

Go Cliffy you legend.

Last edited:
What a brilliant post for off season. Manly has never let me down, we lost the famous “never give up” attitude in 2016, but we are back on track now, long live the mighty Sea Eagles !!!

I recall the game.
On holiday no TV but radio.
Coyne scores 4 tried for Canberra.
The big NZ centre Kevin Iro finally delivered and at very least matched Meninga....
The Lyons show was the perfect example of s 5/8 creating opportunities for his outside backs without today’s robotic play....apart from Thurston who lacks Cliffies vision, not seen often in today’s game.

Also had oconnor out. I was at that game and just watched it again too. Close to cliffy best ever game - just dominated. Daley looked ineffectual in comparison. A really brave performance from a bunch of journeymen like dunford, Chris white, the hooker who's name I have forgotten, jug head jones, all orchestrated by sir cliff. A game I have never forgotten and one that ranks right up there as one of our most courageous.
The hooker was Danny Russell , not sure if he was a local boy or from Brisbane.

Ahhhhh the cliffy lyons , Kevin iro show . Years later Gus gould was interviewed about Cliffy and said that was the best game he had ever seen cliff play . He went on to say that it could go down as one of the all time best individual performances . What made it more special was that it was backs against the wall stuff .

Remember it well and definitely one of the bravest and real guts efforts that i have seen from a Manly side and to think that with a bit of luck and the correct calls , they could have almost pulled it off . Watched it on T V enthralled and still held out hope until the final minutes and that ridiculous ruck call on an injured Jug head Jones that seemed to change the course of the game . Both Cliffy and Kevin iro apparently were a bit ordinary in some lead up games but wow , they were both just so good that day . O' Conner and Hasler were certainly missed but once Ian Roberts was ruled out previously for the season , i thought that he was the biggest loss .Maybe it was always going to be the Panthers year but also maybe on reflection , Gee what could have been , if Manly had their full strength side available for that final's series

Cliffy was great that match but i would still rate his G F performance against the Raiders in 87 as his best , maybe he liked playing against the Raiders .

Cliffy was great that match but i would still rate his G F performance against the Raiders in 87 as his best , maybe he liked playing against the Raiders .
Its hard really to say which game lyons played his best . When he was on it was all over . 1990 against Dogs and Broncos consecutive weeks , 20 nil 26 nil . I remember talking to cliff at the greyhound terminal in surry hills , he was putting his kids on a bus to Canberra prior to the Broncos game and i said " get into those queenslanders mate " and thats all she wrote . 61 nil against the dragons in 94 , the list is endless . They could all have the Daleys , Lambs and Walters and i wouldn't have swapped him for any of them . My favorite of all time .

I remember watching it and my blood was boiling over how unfair it was. How did Harrigan get such a reputation for being a great referee. He obviously loathed Manly year in, year out and perhaps cost us a tilt at a premiership in 91. Love Cliffy but what a preening jerk Billy was and is.

Its hard really to say which game lyons played his best . When he was on it was all over . 1990 against Dogs and Broncos consecutive weeks , 20 nil 26 nil . I remember talking to cliff at the greyhound terminal in surry hills , he was putting his kids on a bus to Canberra prior to the Broncos game and i said " get into those queenslanders mate " and thats all she wrote . 61 nil against the dragons in 94 , the list is endless . They could all have the Daleys , Lambs and Walters and i wouldn't have swapped him for any of them . My favorite of all time .
Pretty accurate account there Brad. and on further recollection , there were certainly many more masterful Cliff displays . Particularly recall that ruthless 61-nil win against the Dragons , Cliffy had the football on a string that day and seemed to have a hand in every thing . Fitting that he was eventually the no.1 choice 5/8 on the 90 Kangaroo tour of the U k .Frank Stanton once described Cliffy as having peripheral and almost freakish footy vision . And to think he is still active on a footy field now , what a legend / . Saw him playing live on a few occasions and always was impressed and ironically went to see him play for Leeds when i was once backpacking overseas , but he came off after a few minutes with a hammy . Anyway had a good yarn with him and a good laugh about it after the match .

About 2 years ago I spent 6 hours drinking at Leagues club after a function. My drinking mates were Graham Eadie, Terry Randell, Max Krillich, (with their wives) and Cliffy Lyons. Best 6 hours of my life - the stories, the banter, reminiscing best games ever, worst game ever, who were great people to play against and also who were the greatest tools! BTW they all reckon the battle against Newtown was the best game ever!

Have met up with all of them on several times separately and by coincidence. It was a different game with these legends and a difference in attitude to dealing with neville's such as myself. They respect the game, the supporters.

Hope the new generation learn this.

Pretty accurate account there Brad. and on further recollection , there were certainly many more masterful Cliff displays . Particularly recall that ruthless 61-nil win against the Dragons , Cliffy had the football on a string that day and seemed to have a hand in every thing . Fitting that he was eventually the no.1 choice 5/8 on the 90 Kangaroo tour of the U k .Frank Stanton once described Cliffy as having peripheral and almost freakish footy vision . And to think he is still active on a footy field now , what a legend / . Saw him playing live on a few occasions and always was impressed and ironically went to see him play for Leeds when i was once backpacking overseas , but he came off after a few minutes with a hammy . Anyway had a good yarn with him and a good laugh about it after the match .
Spot on , and the thing i also loved about the man was that he bled for manly and was proud to wear our famous colours , even to this day .

With all the players I have seen live since 1976, I rate Cliffy Lyons as the best ball player I have ever seen. He seemed to have some football 6th sense in knowing when and where to pass the ball and generally at the exact right time. His kicking game was underrated.
He consistently produced this form from around 1987, age 26 all the way to the very end. no player, whether it be Johns, Wally, Kenny, Benji has been able to produce that level of skill for such a long time with such consistency - IMO.

Cliffy just bamboozling the camera man, wasn't unusual. I stand by best ever. I'm not interested in stats, number of roos games etc.

He may not be part of that league popularity list 'immortal' rubbish.

But I've never seen anyone come close to nappas magic on a football field. He stands in rarified air on his own.

I remember listening to the game on the radio. I was 13 and was deviateted when we lost. My cousin and I were so bummed the rest of the day.
It made me hate Canberra for years.
Jughead Jones was my favourite player back then. He was a tough nut but always said hello to my cousin and I after the games in the old auditorium at Manly Leagues.

I remember listening to the game on the radio. I was 13 and was deviateted when we lost. My cousin and I were so bummed the rest of the day.
It made me hate Canberra for years.
Jughead Jones was my favourite player back then. He was a tough nut but always said hello to my cousin and I after the games in the old auditorium at Manly Leagues.

Don't know what upset me the most .... that you were deviateted or bummed ...

Also had oconnor out. I was at that game and just watched it again too. Close to cliffy best ever game - just dominated. Daley looked ineffectual in comparison. A really brave performance from a bunch of journeymen like dunford, Chris white, the hooker who's name I have forgotten, jug head jones, all orchestrated by sir cliff. A game I have never forgotten and one that ranks right up there as one of our most courageous.

I agree that they don't make 'em like Cliffy anymore but if my memory serves me correctly, Daley was severely hobbled in late '91. I remember the grand final and he could barely run. Marty Bella was also out that day, wasn't he? I only watched the second half though and didn't notice him.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4