Cleanout for 2024

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Woods = lemon
Aloia = lemon
Johns = lemon
Kelma = lemon
Tui = lemon

The rest are reserve graders who can start in reserves.
We were better off just promoting players from BWSE than signing these guys. At least there would be some money left over.

The problem is we go dive head first to sign whatever cheap player comes on the market. We don't make any patient astute signings.

Parker, Croker and Sipley are good Manly clubman.

There is a lot more to a top 30 roster than whether or not we have skillful players.

I think these three are important part in team harmony off the field.

That said, Parker and Sipley should be on the fringe of the 17, good backup for injuries etc but not picked every week (I think Sipley plays better when he is not an automatic selection each week as he can get complacent).

Croker needs a dummy half with contrasting skills picked at 14 so Croker can get stuck in and do the tough defensive efforts at the start and our 14 can come on when he is tiring to take over and add some attacking flair (especially if DCE/Turbo out).

So many players really go missing in the effort areas when the chips are down - that is something our roster managememt needs to carefully look at when signing/releasing players.
As much as I like Lawton, he doesnt offer any contrasting play to Croker. GCKT needs to be fasttracked.

Kalvin

Bencher
It does seem to be our main issue @Kalvin I agree. Just posing a hypothetical here. Who would we replace these four players with? Just posing a hypothetical here.

Let's say Tim Sheens offered to buy DCE, Turbo, Jurbo and Schuster for 3.8m to solve the Tigers' issues. We might get 4m if we are lucky. Who are we going to replace them with, for that amount? What players of their quality or potential are available (uncontracted) right now anyway? What will we gain from ripping out the club's guts, heart, experience, and leadership by making that call?

Personally, I think the idea is nonsense, and we have no choice but to continue to build from within and develop our existing contracted players around that core group of four players.
Agreed.

I actually think it's our tier 2 type players where we are paying overs and not getting value for money. I'm talking the
tuipolotu, aloiai, Tuilagi types

WiseyEagle

Reserve Grader
Weekes promised so much and I was so excited that he looked like he was going to be one of our gun players for the future. It hasn't happened and a good chance it won't happen. Best to let him go at the end of the year. As for the rest Johns, Arthurs, Tuipolotu, Aloiai, Tuilagi, Woods all need to go. They haven't even given Morgan Boyle are chance this year on the bench to get some action, using Woods instead.

Weekes promised so much and I was so excited that he looked like he was going to be one of our gun players for the future. It hasn't happened and a good chance it won't happen. Best to let him go at the end of the year. As for the rest Johns, Arthurs, Tuipolotu, Aloiai, Tuilagi, Woods all need to go. They haven't even given Morgan Boyle are chance this year on the bench to get some action, using Woods instead.
It happens. But he's got room to grow. I remember back in early 2000s, I was getting hyped over Ashley Alberts and Paul Stephenson being the next big thing.

Eagle 1

First Grader
The reality is @mickqld most of those players are contracted through to 2025, and based on their recent form would be difficult to release them until their contract period is over. Five should definitely be moved on, i.e., Harper, Johns, Woods, Boyle and Roache. Unfortunately, the combined contract value of these guys is "sweet bugger all", and we won't be able to pick up any NRL player of value when we swap them out. We are stuck with promoting our younger players .i.e Humphries for Johns, Myers for Harper, Sykes for Boyle, Dias for Woods, Matterson for Roache etc., until we can rebalance our cap. There is no quick fix to our current situation, as we already have 22 players contracted for 2024, and 75% of our cap is already allocated for 2025.

Who can be let go for 2024:
Tuipolutu - No
Saab - No
Harper - Yes
Parker - No
Johns - Yes
Arthur - No
Woods - Yes
Aloiai - No
Lawton - No
Boyle - Yes
Tuilagi - No
Roache - Yes
mmm....Going on this, maybe a partial rebuild then.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Boyle needs to show something with the Blacktown boys to getting a 1st grade start this year.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
So if the Roosters , Manly , Knights and a couple of others have a “ cleanout “ where are these 40-60 gifted players going to magically come from to fill their shoes ???
They don’t have to be magical, they just need to be dependable…

we have the stars (could do with an upgrade to 9 tho imo), we just need workhorses that can keep their cool under duress and perform their role - no more, no less…
i.e. wingers that can catch a ball, can make 1on1 tackles and have enough speed and skill to score in the corner from 10m out when given the space and forwards that can make their 5-8m each time (with a bonus 10m + every now and then) and land on their front occasionally but most importantly protect possession and don’t make lazy PTB errors…

We just have too many lazy players that do not understand their role and cannot maintain concentration and effort under duress…

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
They don’t have to be magical, they just need to be dependable…

we have the stars (could do with an upgrade to 9 tho imo), we just need workhorses that can keep their cool under duress and perform their role - no more, no less…
i.e. wingers that can catch a ball, can make 1on1 tackles and have enough speed and skill to score in the corner from 10m out when given the space and forwards that can make their 5-8m each time (with a bonus 10m + every now and then) and land on their front occasionally but most importantly protect possession and don’t make lazy PTB errors…

We just have too many lazy players that do not understand their role and cannot maintain concentration and effort under duress…
I completely agree , but my point remains , if we have an almost total cleanout , as are at least 2 other clubs , where are these “ dependable “ players going to come from??

I agree with the cleanout but it can only come slowly, and it’s going to take some years to get rid of the under performers.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
Rather than that, I'd say a number 5, 9 and 13 should be a priority (and I mean marquee players). This team is very serviceable:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Tolu Koula
05. XXXXXX
06. Josh Schuster
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jake Trbojevic
09. XXXXXX
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Samuela Fainu
13. XXXXXX

14. Gordon Chan Kum Tong
15. Sean Keppie
16. Ethan Bullemor
17. Ben Trbojevic

If we go into a 5th campaign with a halfback playing hooker, we should just pack it in. We currently are playing props at lock (and have done so for many years). We need a fast, lean, mobile winger (not a meat axe).

Players I'm keeping, investing time in: Kaeo Weekes, Jake Arthur, Latu Fainu, Karl Lawton, Kelma Tuilagi, Lachlan Croker, Toff Sipley.

I'd be cancelling any deal for Tommy Talau. Like Tuilagi, another Tigers reject that puts the plonk in plonker. Same goes for Condon, Matterson, Fulton, Boyle, Aloiai, Woods, Harper, Vaega, Johns, Tuipulotu.

Parker is a tough one. If the plan is to play him in the backrow, when the centre position already busts him apart, let him go and play centres in the U.K. or something. Please don't break him, like we have so many others.
#1 #5 #9 #13 we need as you say. And promote a nippy, touch footy style player, like Toby.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12