Chooks to free Willy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
From the Australian:
THE Sydney Roosters fought tooth-and-nail to get Willie Mason, but now they're ready to sever ties with the controversial NSW and Australian forward at the end of the season.

Mason, who made his return from a serious knee injury against Canberra last weekend, has a further year remaining on the deal he signed at the end of 2007.

However, The Australian understands that the Roosters would be willing to cut Mason loose should his manager, Greg Keenan, secure an opportunity overseas.

The club's readiness to part ways with Mason completes a remarkable about-face. The Roosters swooped for the colourful NRL star when he fell out of favour at the Bulldogs, hailing his arrival as a coup for the club.

However, Mason failed to live up to the billing last season. Although he managed to play three State of Origin games for NSW, his form was heavily criticised and his season ended prematurely when he suffered a serious knee injury.

Mason's recovery from the knee problem is just one of the issues confronting the club. His salary and age - he turns 29 next month - are also cause for concern.

Keenan is in Europe, although it is unclear whether he is exploring options for Mason or his other clients.

Mason's situation is likely to put Super League clubs on high alert. He also shapes as a potential target for rugby union clubs in Europe and Japan.
-----------

Despite a disappointing season he was really starting to rev up when he copped his knee injury. Love him or hate him I would like to see him get another club in the NRL.

I'd like to see the big mug stay in the NRL. The game needs it's characters and controversial players.

O'mealley is also on the list of the roosters dud buys and who they are also trying to offload.  This time next year they will trying to offload Todd Carney.

Maybe they should try a no dickhead policy with their future player purchases. 

The guy is a shadow of the player he use to be, it has nothing to do with his skill or ability and everything to do with his attitude

Willy's been a dud for the last few years in my opinion.  How he got a SOO jersey last year is beyond me as I reckon that there were a lot better going around than him but as usual, rep players aren't picked on form, they're picked on favourites.

I think the days of big money buys for guys later into their careers will come to a close for a while. Look at Wing at the Bunnies - a huge amount of their cap is going to him, and they don't even want him anymore.

Willy should have a look at himself. We bought Ben Kennedy as an aging forward and he put something into the club that was of great benefit. If he was a player of good influence and character, he would be a great asset as an experienced player. However, once a tool gets a bit older, his useful wanes and they are expendable.

tookey link said:

The problem is most of them turn into a dick head once they get to Bondi Junction

The problem i believe is with the roosters. None of the following players have a) gone to a higher level or b) maintained their level of skill from when they were first bought by the roosters:

1) Mason
2) O'Meley
3) Anasta
4) Myles

probably more that i can't think of now.

Roosters should be looking at their backyard before despatching quality players due to "lack of form"

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179854.msg215699#msg215699 date=1238108210]

The problem is most of them turn into a dick head once they get to Bondi Junction
[/quote]

;D

In part it's a coaching problem.  Stuart and Fittler are both very very ordinary coaches. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6