CFO Paul Murray leaving

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mate, come on. He made the perfect point.

Government connections. Corporate sponsorship connections. Player manager connections. Recruitment connections. HR skills. P&L and Balance sheet management. Corporate Governance skills. People management. Experience in role.

Here is a job advertisement for a CEO of an NRL Team:

Seeking Applications: CEO XXXXXXXXXXXXX​

The XXXXXXX is a foundation club of the NSWRL and is currently celebrating XXX years since its first premiership. The club competes in the XXXXXX

The Board of XXXXXXXXis currently seeking applications for the CEO role.
Over the last few years, the Club has driven significant change in improving their operations, and to date is exceeding expectations in delivering on its long term strategic plan.

With one of the largest supporter bases across Australia, this role would be overseeing the next phase of growth with the responsibility of the operational performance and success of the Club, as it looks to leverage significant Pathways & Junior football programs and a strong legacy and history over the last XXXXX years.

As well as overseeing the day to day management and financial operations and leading a small team, the Club is looking for candidates with strong commercial acumen, who have shown a hands-on track record success in developing and driving programs specifically in the following areas:
– Membership increase and engagement
– Sponsorship revenue development
– Community and stakeholder engagement
– Increase revenue for our XXXXXXXXX Foundation.

The position reports to the Board and the candidate will have experience in preparing monthly and ad hoc reporting in respect to KPI’s and other relevant performance measures.

Although not a prerequisite, experience in sports administration and/or NRL/NSWRL engagement would be advantageous.

Applications can be sent to XXXXXXXXX and will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
@Ryan
I know where you are coming from and appreciate what you’re saying but I do stand by what I stated that both Tooves and Kingy have the business acumen for the role the question is if they have the desire to take it on. Importantly they understand the culture of the club which is equally important.

I tell you now I don’t profess to be an expert on the subject and I don't know of to many CEO that are preparing their reports for presentation and this would be coming from other areas of the business so I keep it short, sweet and high level.

The CEO needs to be able to understand the numbers and present it to the board and back up the data. The CEO will also direct how and what data they want to see presented. The CEO works closely with the CFO / finance team and any other areas of the senior management team for the numbers.

The key aspect of the CEO would be driving the profitability, setting the agenda or the strategy. The CEO would also be driving the organisational structure but I think most of this would governed by the Penns and company profitability.

The CEO wouldn't necessarily be going out and driving the sponsorship revenue directly what they do need to have is the business contacts that allows the other segments of the business i.e. sales team to contact and engage and close out.

I know it wasnt you and at least you put subtance to your arguement rather than trolling and I repect you. That is why the the other comment about an ex-manly player and coach didn't deserve a proper response from me

@Ryan
I know where you are coming from and appreciate what you’re saying but I do stand by what I stated that both Tooves and Kingy have the business acumen for the role the question is if they have the desire to take it on. Importantly they understand the culture of the club which is equally important.

I tell you now I don’t profess to be an expert on the subject and I don't know of to many CEO that are preparing their reports for presentation and this would be coming from other areas of the business so I keep it short, sweet and high level.

The CEO needs to be able to understand the numbers and present it to the board and back up the data. The CEO will also direct how and what data they want to see presented. The CEO works closely with the CFO / finance team and any other areas of the senior management team for the numbers.

The key aspect of the CEO would be driving the profitability, setting the agenda or the strategy. The CEO would also be driving the organisational structure but I think most of this would governed by the Penns and company profitability.

The CEO wouldn't necessarily be going out and driving the sponsorship revenue directly what they do need to have is the business contacts that allows the other segments of the business i.e. sales team to contact and engage and close out.

I know it wasnt you and at least you put subtance to your arguement rather than trolling and I repect you. That is why the the other comment about an ex-manly player and coach didn't deserve a proper response from me
Not sure why you think I am trolling. I am being serious. To reiterate what I said and confirm your argument is baseless, I will highlight all of the skills you said Tooves has based on your google search of a CEO's function. Sure, as a bean counter he knows numbers. Maybe the board experience could play a part, but he is not a seasoned executive. He is an ex-footy player/coach who has made a life after footy. You think I'm trolling but your response asking you to provide some thinking was met with a few emojis, seems a bit silly.

phew i thought this thread about Paul Murray was leaving sky news. i'd be lost without watching Paul Murray live each night.
and what a great show tonight, awesome debate with no one the better for it. It's amazing some people can't get through the smoke and get to our REAL issues. For instance why do we lose the penalty count each week, only average 3 restarts per game. There should be a Royal Commission.

Mate, it's a small family owned business operated out of rented premises in an outlying suburb of Sydney ... with the turnover of a large Macdonalds franchise .. and one that obtains 85% of its income by guaranteed Grant's.

Not sure too Fortune 500 company CEO's will apply for the job .. and if it does pay more than the Mayor .. there would only be a coffee and cheesecake between them.
My information is that the CEO position is a $500,000+ pa salary whereas the Northern Beaches Mayor would be on $130,000 including all expenses.

We need a CEO. Mr Penn, If you can accept Des Hasler back as our coach after the events of 2011, the surely its time swallow some pride and reach out to Geoff Toovey who not only has the DNA of our club in him, he is also smart as a businessman and a football person. This is a no brainer if Toovey wants this role?
I love Toovey but if I'm being honest he's seemed a little 'lost' over the last few years.by that I mean he's just a bit random in his thinking and some things he likes to say. Almost a little punch drunk, he was knocked senseless a lot of of times while playing. I would be concerned if he was to take the top job without runs on the board so to speak. Not every club legend makes a good CEO.

I know he was a trained accountant and all that but I feel we need to be aiming higher if we really want to push the club forward.

My information is that the CEO position is a $500,000+ pa salary whereas the Northern Beaches Mayor would be on $130,000 including all expenses.

What about the northern beaches General Manager position.. that would be the real equivalent

What about the northern beaches General Manager position.. that would be the real equivalent

This was written in 2021 mate, so may be dated:

The councillors also want Cr Regan's salary cut from $119,010 to $57,590 and councillors' fees reduced from $30,410 to $18,430 for the rest of the financial year. “This is a largely symbolic gesture to demonstrate that we are in this with the community,” Cr Amon said.

This was written in 2021 mate, so may be dated:

The councillors also want Cr Regan's salary cut from $119,010 to $57,590 and councillors' fees reduced from $30,410 to $18,430 for the rest of the financial year. “This is a largely symbolic gesture to demonstrate that we are in this with the community,” Cr Amon said.

Thanks Ryan, but the wage for an elected Mayor is in my opinion not a relevant comparison ..

The general manager is an employee position and closer to the role of CEO .

Either way the total turnover of the sea eagles would be approx. $21m - $23m .. of which about $15m is grant money. The remainder is sponsorship, ticket sales, memberships and footy jerseys ...

This is not the job for a Harvard graduate or even a mid level CEO ..

The only attraction I can see for a truly talented person would be the public exposure that the position would bring ..

For example GreeTurd went from Bulldogs to NRL FAME. don't not what he was on at Bulldogs but read somewhere that he was on about a million a year at the end .

If you consider that the NRL turnover is about $400million a year ... how much would you pay a CEO of a company with a turnover of just 5% of that ..

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan, but the wage for an elected Mayor is in my opinion not a relevant comparison ..

The general manager is an employee position and closer to the role of CEO .
Again from 2021:

Individual councils currently determine remuneration packages for GMs, with annual salaries in NSW varying from $143,000 to almost $650,000, and average remuneration of $328,287.

The state’s three highest paid general managers are at Parramatta ($633,852), Northern Beaches ($512,092) and Sydney ($511,954).

Again from 2021:

Individual councils currently determine remuneration packages for GMs, with annual salaries in NSW varying from $143,000 to almost $650,000, and average remuneration of $328,287.

The state’s three highest paid general managers are at Parramatta ($633,852), Northern Beaches ($512,092) and Sydney ($511,954).

Thanks

PSS .. Just edited my previous post.

Interesting. Just for general interest here are judicial officer salaries in NSW (2020, I think they had a freeze after that, not sure)

judge's salary.PNG

I wonder if the Mayor of the Northern Beaches Council, Michael Regan, is being considered as the new CEO? I know he is an avid Sea Eagle supporter plus a lover of sport in general, and he is a sensible down-to-earth bloke well liked by those who know him well.
Well that one was out of left field.

Yep Mayer is a top bloke and even better CEO.
Not the thinking of some people (on either point) who dealt with him at close range - and I am not talking about any rival owners in years gone by.

Plus his tenure at Wests’ Tigers was less than impressive.

Not the thinking of some people (on either point) who dealt with him at close range - and I am not talking about any rival owners in years gone by.

Plus his tenure at Wests’ Tigers was less than impressive.
I’m going off the several times I met him. And also @Mark from Brisbane s interaction with him in the travelling supporters days. I only heard good things about him from Mark.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8