CENTRAL QLD COMETS TRIAL SQUAD

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
CENTRAL QLD COMETS TRIAL SQUAD

From MSE

The Sea Eagles will kick off season 2006 with a trial match this Saturday night against the Central QLD Comets in Rockhampton.

"We have played trials against the Comets for the last three years," Football Manager Peter Peters said

"It’s the home of Ashley Alberts, it’s a great place and we have a great time up there."

This trial is the first appearance for a number of the clubs new recruits and all players will be at their best to try and secure a place in the top grade trial against the Roosters the following week.

The 20 man squad which leaves for QLD on Friday will be coached by Assistant Coach Dennis Moore and Premier League Coach Geoff Toovey and will be attended by CEO Patrick Wilson.

Ashley Alberts, Kyle Arnold, Matt Ballin, Todd Barrow, Willie Bishop, Travis Burns, J P Cherry, Jim Curtis, Adam Cuthbertson, Sione Finefeuiaki, Clint Halden, Mark Lennon, Sean Meaney, Michael Robertson, Jeff Robson, George Rose, Paul Stephenson, Mailangi Styles, Conrad Ta'akimoeaka, Jason Wells

Well i think most of the answers are right there

Those missing are the first grade team exept for the wing spot.

Look s like matai will get the nodd - hope he has fixed his defensive problems.

Witt is in above burns - hope he has fixed his defensive and attacking problems.

So as I see the NRL squad at the moment:

1 Stewart
3 Bell
4 Matai
5 Hicks
6 Witt
7 Ox
8 King
9 monas
10 Kite
11 Choc
12 Beaver
13 BK

14 Dunley
15 Willo
16 Stewart G
17 Kylie

I'm kind of happy he's playing. He's got a chance to shine and make the other wingers look amateur. If he wasn't playing he wouldn't have the chance to do that.

1 Stewart
2 Stephenson
3 Bell
4 Matai
5 Hicks
6 Witt
7 Ox
8 King
9 monas
10 Kite
11 Choc
12 Beaver
13 BK

14 Dunley
15 Willo
16 Bryant
17 Kylie

Matai ahead of Alberts in the Centres???

Might have a bit to do with who needs the footy at this stage of the season. A few of the trialists did not get a lot of game time late last year.

I just have visions of Growthe and Tahu absolutely punishing Matai in that final...ABSOLUTELY punishing !!!

Are there any injuiries or players still recovering from off season operations eg is Glenn Stewart ready to go after a shoulder reconstruction

Unknown but as well as glenn stewart, kane cleal is also missing from the PL side - thats 5 props missing from that list not including morewood.

and CW i really hope your right with alberts needing a run - he had me on the edge of my seat when he got the ball and barring the one game where he missed 15 tackles his defence was ok, considering he came off a shoulder reconstruction. Hence this year his defence should be far improved. At least Matai is a good player on the up as well. Add to that Meaney will be nipping at their heels - the standout of flegg last year

The Comets are always a great test early in the season. I remember a nasty 42 to 18 spanking they handed out. Should be a solid hitout.

The Comets are always a great test early in the season. I remember a nasty 42 to 18 spanking they handed out. Should be a solid hitout.

That was when our 1st grade team would have been beaten by this years reserve grade team..

Hey Fonz do you know if Paul is playing in the centre with Alberts or on the wing in a shootout against Robertson

Pretty sure he is playing centre. I suppose they will mix and match though. I think des may just want to trial him after off season surgury to make sure it is ok. I tip a good year for him this year.

I was there for that game and all since. However it must be remembered that the Comets have hardly won anything in the last 3 years either. They have signed up well and have a new coach so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

[quote author=Utility Player]
Hey Fonz do you know if Paul is playing in the centre with Alberts or on the wing in a shootout against Robertson

Pretty sure he is playing centre. I suppose they will mix and match though. I think des may just want to trial him after off season surgury to make sure it is ok. I tip a good year for him this year.

I thought that Steppa played really well at the end of last year when he was put on the wing and he seemed better suited to it than at centre.

With bell or Alberts inside of him there should be plenty of try scoring opportunities this year. I am sure that ox will also throw him the odd cut out ball this year as well.

[/quote]

You can read into the side as much as you want, but IMO the side picked there doesn't give a fair assumption of what the NRL side will be. IMO, guys like Burns, Halden, Rose and Sione and the likes might be given a trial for several reasons.... New to the club, didn't get much game time last year and also possibly to force their way into a spot in the NRL side. Some of the guys that missed out like Moorewood, that is more than likely because the selectors already know what those guys can do. I would think a major reason why Ashley Alberts is playing is due to the fact that he comes from Rocky, and is the kind of homesick guy, hence the club lets him go and spend time with his family. Just my thoughts.

Well considered Blunty.

The time for Ash on the park the better after missing a chunk of 2005 and hopefully having worked on his defence in the off-season.

[quote author=Utility Player]

[/quote]

Good to hear others thinking along similar lines. Steppa was definitely better on the wing and id like to see him develop there.
If my wish for Hicks to partner Bell is realised then all we have to do is find the other wing man. Could be Robertson. Could be Alberts. My preference is Alberts.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4