Cartwright Gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hopefully the team doctor :axegrind:

People forget we were flying (beating the chooks, raiders etc) before 2/3's of our team dropped. We'll make some amazing additions, that will compliment the group.
That was early in the season before the 6 again rule changes. Tigers beat roosters in rd.1 the year the chooks won the comp so beating a good side early in the year is no indication of a team's ceiling in my opinion.

There was something dramatically wrong with our defence this year and I think the rule changes really hurt our style that was very much about slowing things down with our big pack. All of the sudden the game was fast and our best defender was playing 9 for the Panthers.

I know Carty coached defence under Barrett but when Des took over as HC, he started coaching the defence himself and used a lot of video analysis in the process. The fact that Des demands so much of his players in defence and is really high on accountability makes me worried because I don't think we fell short on effort...Des always gets effort. I think we have the wrong approach entirely given the changing landscape of the game. We just could not control the opposition's momentum with the ball at all. Teams just marched up the field and scored at will.

That was early in the season before the 6 again rule changes. Tigers beat roosters in rd.1 the year the chooks won the comp so beating a good side early in the year is no indication of a team's ceiling in my opinion.

There was something dramatically wrong with our defence this year and I think the rule changes really hurt our style that was very much about slowing things down with our big pack. All of the sudden the game was fast and our best defender was playing 9 for the Panthers.

I know Carty coached defence under Barrett but when Des took over as HC, he started coaching the defence himself and used a lot of video analysis in the process. The fact that Des demands so much of his players in defence and is really high on accountability makes me worried because I don't think we fell short on effort...Des always gets effort. I think we have the wrong approach entirely given the changing landscape of the game. We just could not control the opposition's momentum with the ball at all. Teams just marched up the field and scored at will.

I agree. But I also think our system will change with analysis and fresh ideas. I also think our backline was quite ..... hmmmmm ..... immobile in both attack, but also defense (trying to put that nicely).

I hope our outside backs used play the ball much quicker. Also get involved a lot more. But I also hope as a unit, we slide in defense faster, and we don't get the odd man running out of the line as much to put on a silly big hit (which does look great when it comes off).

Totally agree with you, don't get me wrong, but I do think it's easily addressed. Our defense around the ruck to me seemed quite good. It was just out wide we leaked far too many points from an eye test only (no stats to back that up).

Mobility, team harmony / consistency (helps with less injuries) and effort for mine. Get some players consistently playing next to you week in, week out, chemistry occurs in both attack and defense.

Too right . Unfortunately we dont have a quality 30 squad like some teams do
Our number 14 that plays 6 and 9 has to be the most ineffective bench player in the NRL
We have passengers that we are carrying in our top 30 squad and their efforts in the games that we capitulated exposed them .
We need a squad of 30 that can come on the field and make an impact and not drop balls and miss tackles .
When Tom is out none of our back up backs have won the game for us like he does .
Souths lost Both of their decorated and biggest signings in Latrell Mitchell and Jimmy the Jet as well as regular starting centre Burns but their back up players and rookies stood up .
I agree south's could have used all the excuses we have had but have just got on with the job.

I agree also our top 30 is not quality like other squads and until we get rid of more players at the end of 2021 I feel we are just going to be making up the numbers or if we have slightly less Injuires we may make the bottom of the top 8 at best.

We have to find a decent pack up replacement for Tom because we can't be a team that relies on one player for our chances.

Only fear is without an injection/introduction of new ideas, what will change?... we looked defeated a lot this year.
Who turns that around in 2021?
It's the biggest concern I have going into 2021 our club as a whole organisation looks like they are just happy to go through the motions and being happy to rest on our clubs previous history.

We seem to be stuck in so many old ways of doing things whether that be management or playing style it really worries me where we are heading.

Finally as you say we looked so lost so much of time on the field we lacked a core group of tough hard nosed senior forwards who demand respect and lead from the front. We are not united as a club right now and the players look lost in 2020.

I would love to see a kite/ cliffy coaching gigs as assistants with spud helping out in getting the softness out of this playing group and start to play like a true manly squad.

Last edited:
Exactly..
Don't get me wrong, ide love an assistant coach with his own big ideas to sign up and work with des, but I'm pretty over the "des is garbage and needs to be replaced " brigade... facts are facts, when he had a half decent team at his disposal manly were right up there with the top 4 teams... we need quality back ups... not blokes hard pressed to get a run in a park footy team that we seem to keep stockpiling
Strangely, Trent Barrett has refrained from parading himself in front of the media to receive credit for putting the squad together this season...Seems he’s set on stealing the credit for the Panthers success from under Ivan Cleary’s nose instead.

Last year he was the champion list manager and this year he’s the attack guru.I thought one of the main reasons he quit was because Manly didn’t have a list manager. Can’t wait until he takes his seat at the dogs. T Baz-the gift that keeps on giving.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8