Cade Cust out of contract....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Rocky

Bencher
I'm glad Cde Cust is remembered fondly on here. Plays with passion and seems like a good guy.

But he is only a fringe NRL first grader.

I wish him the best and would be happy to take him as a depth player. But we have enough of those guys as it is.

No I don't think Johns has done better than cust at all, and if Johns goes to England I'm sure Manly won't ask for first option if he returns.
I was only pointing out it was wrong to say Johns and Arthur have got a lot more oppportunities in 1sts than Cust did, it's actually far the opposite.

Anyway with Brooks Schu and DCE, I doubt Arthur will get many more chances at half, and Johns is gone after this year, surely.
The only distinction I will make here is that when Cade was playing well, he was rewarded with being dropped. Although Johns is now in reggies, he had a fair few opportunities to stake a claim as a backup and never made the most of his chances, but somehow it took Seibold a while to work it out.
We can agree to disagree.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Cust was a goer and had good moments, but not a bloke who would single handed dominate a game and take you to victory.
He did take the line on and have a burst of acceleration and definitely better than many we had in the halves since.
Many Aussies go to England and dominate and this includes reserve graders, so can never judge a player's ability on how they went in England, but I liked him for the above reasons, always gave it his best effort which is hard to knock.

Nothing wrong with liking Cade Cust,I thought he was badly managed at Manly in his time at the club, but Luke Brooks has 200 games as a first grade NRL halfback and is about to come into his prime years at 650 pa for the club. It's a brilliant signing.

Cust at 350 doesn't compare, you're not buying anything for 300 that makes up the difference or adding that 300 to anything that is going to click like a ten year NRL half will.

Nothing wrong with liking Cade Cust,I thought he was badly managed at Manly in his time at the club, but Luke Brooks has 200 games as a first grade NRL halfback and is about to come into his prime years at 650 pa for the club. It's a brilliant signing.

Cust at 350 doesn't compare, you're not buying anything for 300 that makes up the difference or adding that 300 to anything that is going to click like a ten year NRL half will.
Cust might not have 200 games to his name, but I put my money any day of the week he is a better defender than Brooks.
We have been leaking a ****load of points and what do we do? we sign a midget who is an average defender. lol

StuBoot

Bencher
Cust might not have 200 games to his name, but I put my money any day of the week he is a better defender than Brooks.
We have been leaking a ****load of points and what do we do? we sign a midget who is an average defender. lol
So can you let us know how many 5/8's you think have been signed up and a club puts out a press release along the lines of "..we are thrilled that player X comes to us as a great defensive half, and whilst not as experienced nor has the attacking ability or kicking game as some, there wasn't many on the market, his defence was why we signed him..."

So can you let us know how many 5/8's you think have been signed up and a club puts out a press release along the lines of "..we are thrilled that player X comes to us as a great defensive half, and whilst not as experienced nor has the attacking ability or kicking game as some, there wasn't many on the market, his defence was why we signed him..."
Who cares about the club press release, why does it matter?. What I do know is that we are going through 5/8s like disposable underwear and our latest one is for 4 years. I think people misunderstand my point about signing Cust.
He's a low risk buy because he wouldn't cost as much as Brooks and he could do a job, but maybe not as good as Brooks...but at least there would be some money leftover to sign a forward, which we need badly. Suppose Cust doesn't work out , if you paid him unders then it wouldn't be so bad. We are trying to win a competition by how it looks on paper, much the same way Barrett did when he had all those star signings at the Bulldogs...which didn't matter because he was a poor coach anyway.

The looming question is how are we going to stop teams from scoring a massive amount of points against us each game when the forwards personnel remain largely unchanged going forward?

KNUCKLES

Bencher
Cade is a solid footballer but his not the answer.. he's not a 9 and he wasn't a half that was going to win us a premiership.. he had lots of opportunities.. we have Brooks coming so no need for Cust.. I'm not sure too many clubs will be lining up for services even though clubs like the Tigers,Dragons and Dogs need a half he hasnt even been mentioned
I think cust could of been a better 9 than Croker if given the opportunity at the time. Cust lacked some polish but no doubt a natural footballer with good instincts

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It seems this article's correct. "Total Rugby League" posted the following this week:

"CADE CUST is set for an exit from Wigan Warriors as two clubs hold talks with the Super League playmaker.

Cust, who played a key role in Wigan’s 2022 Challenge Cup success, has been used more sporadically by head coach Matt Peet in 2023 with the Warriors boss favouring Harry Smith and Bevan French in the halves and Brad O’Neill and Sam Powell at hooker.

The playmaker does have an option in the club’s favour to extend his deal with the Warriors, but the Lancashire club will not be taking Cust up on that, League Express understands.

Cust’s manager, Chris Orr, has revealed that two clubs are in talks with the 24-year-old to bring him back to Australia.

“I don’t think he will be there (at Wigan in 2024) so we are working on him coming back to the NRL,” Orr told League Express.

“He has a couple of leads back here. We are talking to Wests Tigers and talking to the St George Illawarra Dragons.”

It still remains to be seen where Cust’s future lies beyond 2023."

A shame we let him go and I thought Manly had first option if he came back to the NRL. Being only 24, he would've been good to have for depth at the least, but it's probably too late now we've got Brooks, Arthur and even Gordie.

Nordburg

First Grader
It seems this article's correct. "Total Rugby League" posted the following this week:

"CADE CUST is set for an exit from Wigan Warriors as two clubs hold talks with the Super League playmaker.

Cust, who played a key role in Wigan’s 2022 Challenge Cup success, has been used more sporadically by head coach Matt Peet in 2023 with the Warriors boss favouring Harry Smith and Bevan French in the halves and Brad O’Neill and Sam Powell at hooker.

The playmaker does have an option in the club’s favour to extend his deal with the Warriors, but the Lancashire club will not be taking Cust up on that, League Express understands.

Cust’s manager, Chris Orr, has revealed that two clubs are in talks with the 24-year-old to bring him back to Australia.

“I don’t think he will be there (at Wigan in 2024) so we are working on him coming back to the NRL,” Orr told League Express.

“He has a couple of leads back here. We are talking to Wests Tigers and talking to the St George Illawarra Dragons.”

It still remains to be seen where Cust’s future lies beyond 2023."

A shame we let him go and I thought Manly had first option if he came back to the NRL. Being only 24, he would've been good to have for depth at the least, but it's probably too late now we've got Brooks, Arthur and even Gordie.
He maybe out of his Manly contract period,so it may not matter,but I thought Manly had a deal with him that they get the last chance to offer him an extension

Cliffy's Jockstrap

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
I always had some regard for Cust and I think he will go OK. There is clearly no place for him in Manly's plans at the moment, and he'd have to be a bit mad to be considering linking up with us as a depth signing!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13