Bye Trent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I laughed at the carrying on about paying TB to stay at home. We have been paying lots of players to "stay at home" Stevie, snake and of course who could forget Nate Myles. We will pay Hodgo to do very little this year (yet to be seen).

I laughed at the carrying on about paying TB to stay at home. We have been paying lots of players to "stay at home" Stevie, snake and of course who could forget Nate Myles. We will pay Hodgo to do very little this year (yet to be seen).
Paying TBaz to put his feet up, may turn out to be some of the best business the Penn boys have done. It’s moves such as this which restore my faith that they have us headed in the right direction... paying him out may have been the easy option... but he is effectively gagged and bound at present while the club sets about rebuilding... very shrewd indeed!

On a more positive note, his grandfather Ray Barrett was a terrific actor.

Pity he wasn’t still around last year to give grandson Trent some advice, based on Ray’s experience starring in the British hit series, ‘The Troubleshooters.’

On a more positive note, his grandfather Ray Barrett was a terrific actor.

Pity he wasn’t still around last year to give grandson Trent some advice, based on Ray’s experience starring in the British hit series, ‘The Troubleshooters.’
And of course his uncle, Robert G, author of the great les Norton series of books...

TB back in the Origin mix

Barrett set to return from coaching purgatory with Blues
Author
Michael Chammas

Former Manly coach Trent Barrett is expected to be welcomed back into the NSW Blues fold this year as one of Brad Fittler’s confidants.

Fittler opened the door to a host of Blues former greats last year - including the likes of Danny Buderus, Greg Alexander and Andrew Johns – with Fittler to extend that invitation to Barrett in 2019.

The only issue could be the fact Barrett is still contracted to Manly until July, and it may be deemed a breach of his contract with the club if he takes on another role.

A NSWRL spokesperson told NRL.com that Barrett hadn’t been approached about an official role with the Blues, however given his status in the game and his affiliation with the Blues he is expected to take an unofficial support role to assist Fittler with selections and preparations.

It’s something Phil Gould did behind the scenes last year, in regular contact with Fittler leading into the series and throughout.

When Manly announced Barrett’s departure in November, they agreed to keep paying him until July under the terms of his 12-month resignation notice clause.

"On the understanding that Trent abides by his obligations under his employment contract, he is entitled to and will be paid each month in accordance with his contract," the Manly statement said at the time.

barrettt-1050101.jpg

Trent Barrett with the Blues in 2001.©NRL Photors
Manly said they had no knowledge of any potential Barrett involvement with the Blues when approached by NRL.com on Wednesday.

It’s unclear whether Barrett would be able to take on an official role with the Blues should a job become available given he is still contracted with the Sea Eagles until after the completion of this year’s Origin series.

I watched the interview with Joel on NRl 360 this evening and he alluded to the big difference between Des and Trent. He said that he still is in contact with Trent and he is such a good mate. He spoke about Des about being extremely clever and "ge keeps you on your toes". Des is a keen observer at traing and would call out on Joel if he did something wrong. I think that's a big part of Trent's failure as a coach. He's obviously held in high esteem as a person / mate but I think he needs to be more reveared as a coach. Plus learn to coach.

I watched the interview with Joel on NRl 360 this evening and he alluded to the big difference between Des and Trent. He said that he still is in contact with Trent and he is such a good mate. He spoke about Des about being extremely clever and "ge keeps you on your toes". Des is a keen observer at traing and would call out on Joel if he did something wrong. I think that's a big part of Trent's failure as a coach. He's obviously held in high esteem as a person / mate but I think he needs to be more reveared as a coach. Plus learn to coach.

To be a successful coach in a professional sports league like the NRL, you have to be ruthless. A coach first, friend a distant second. Barrett was more the players mate than their coach. Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton, Des Hasler.....they didn't coach winning premierships because they were everyone's best mate. And neither Stanton or Fulton were highly successful Kangaroos coaches because they were everyone's friend. As coaches it was/is their way or the highway.

To be a successful coach in a professional sports league like the NRL, you have to be ruthless. A coach first, friend a distant second. Barrett was more the players mate than their coach. Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton, Des Hasler.....they didn't coach winning premierships because they were everyone's best mate. And neither Stanton or Fulton were highly successful Kangaroos coaches because they were everyone's friend. As coaches it was/is their way or the highway.
I look at Wayne Bennett as a good example of beeing feared and reveered as a coach but also being very personable and approachable. He seems to be able to engage and relate to the players a bit outside of the game. But I agree, there is a distinct line in the sand between player and coach which Bazz did not draw.

I look at Wayne Bennett as a good example of beeing feared and reveered as a coach but also being very personable and approachable. He seems to be able to engage and relate to the players a bit outside of the game. But I agree, there is a distinct line in the sand between player and coach which Bazz did not draw.

I do agree with you and almost mentioned coached like Bennett, Jack Gibson and Tim Sheens, but decided to keep my examples to Manly related.

The common denominator with all the great coaches that this game has had, Willey, Stanton, Fulton, Hasler, Bath, Beetson, Bennett, Gibson and Sheens, is that they were the coach first, friend second. Yes they were approachable, but they were also ruthless and players personal feelings didn't get in the way of their ultimate goal of winning games. Their players bought into what they were preaching and in a lot of ways were afraid to lose. With Barrett, it was almost like "OK, we lost. Lets go have a few beers".

In professional sports, nice guys do more often than not finish last. As far as most of the players went, Barrett was too nice for his and our own good.

SHOOSH

WE’RE hearing Trent Barrett will join St George Illawarra as an assistant coach to Paul McGregor once his contract at Manly expires in July.

Look I dunno if this has been mentioned but I just read it on Twitter. Like most things I read em late so...
Anyway good riddance if true

Please. He was a coaching disgrace.

A waste of 3 years ... who bitched and moaned to Gould as well as the media when he showed he was so far out of his depth that it was pathetic to watch.
Always looking for excuses and never took ownership for being terrible at his job.

Thank goodness his tenure is almost done and soon he will be a distant memory in the coaching ranks at Manly....
But he can redeem himself.
He could continue the great work of other undercover Sea Eagles operatives that have been members of a white ant brigade successfully reaping havoc on the success of other clubs.
Foran, choc and even brigadeer Des himself.
But he who cannot coach has a lot of ground to make up.
Heading for the exit would be a great 1st step...

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4