But...he's too good to be suspended...!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In a nut(case) shell, Gould, Fittler and Slater has all come out and said poor old Nathan Cleary should not have been suspended for so many weeks as he is a good player and doesn't need five weeks to realise he did something wrong.

Origin coaches Billy Slater and Brad Fittler have come under fire for suggesting Nathan Cleary be handed a lighter suspension due to his character and standing in the game.
Cleary accepted a five-week ban following his send off for an ugly lifting tackle on Eels star Dylan Brown over the weekend.

Slater said:
“Do we need to be wiping our best players out of the competition for a quarter of the season for one mistake that they make?” Slater said on Channel Nine’s Billy’s Breakdown.

It was a sentiment echoed by Phil Gould.

“I don’t think we need good players out of the game for six weeks to remind them that that’s not what you do,” he said on 100% Footy.

“That’s just an error of judgement. I know this Penrith tackling technique very well, he’s probably thinking his other two players would support that player a little better than they did. They pulled away from it and he found himself in an awkward position.
“Does Nathan Cleary need six weeks away from the game to learn his lesson that that’s the wrong tackle to make? He knew it six seconds after he did it that it was wrong.
“They probably want to send a message to the rest of the competition, they want it to look like the star players don’t get special treatment.”

St George forward Aaron Woods, however, was enraged by the stance. (of those three morons).

“Freddy and Billy Slater were coming out and saying ‘he’s a good bloke and we don’t want to be missing these good players before semi-finals’,” Woods said on Triple M.

“That’s bull crap if you ask me.
“He had a prior charge already on Billy Walters earlier on in the year.
“He would have got four weeks, but he had that and that’s an extra week.
“Freddy came out and said that Liam Martin helped it a bit – no he didn’t. He pulled off the tackle and you see Cleary re-grip and get a hand in between the leg.

“That’s the difference between the one with Karl Lawton at the start of the year…(that tackle) was fully momentum, he got around the waist with both hands and it was just a driving tackle and luckily (Cameron) Murray twisted and landed in a really good position.

“Dylan Brown was still on the ground, you could see how hurt he was and he (Cleary) had all the intent. Just because he comes out on Instagram and says ‘I’m sorry and it was totally out of character’ - that’s what happens on a rugby league field.
“Things can go one way or the other and it obviously had no malice, but that’s just part of the game.
Woods said Cleary was far from a clean skin

“It’s a joke – remember he got in trouble for the TikTok? People forget about that as well.
I got 10 in the bin the other week and was like ‘mate you shouldn’t have done that’ but everyone else was like ‘sucked in’.
“If Jared Waerea-Hargreaves does the spear tackle, we’d give him life in this game.
“It just frustrates me, just because they are the players they like – call a spade a spade.”

The NRL360 panel also took aim at those suggesting Cleary be afforded special treatment.

“I heard Billy Slater talking after the game saying how Nathan doesn’t need five weeks on the sideline to realise he’s made a mistake, but you have to put him out,” Paul Kent said on Monday night.
“You just have to do that.”
“What do you mean he doesn’t need five weeks out to learn?,” Braith Anasta questioned.
“Because Nathan’s smart enough to correct it and he knows he made a blue,” Kent replied.
“But why was he saying, why was Billy Slater saying that,” Anasta hit back.
“He wasn’t agreeing with the five week penalty, he was thinking one or two weeks could have been enough,” Kent answered.
“Because it’s Nathan Cleary?” Anasta asked.
“Because it’s Nathan Cleary yes,” Kent said.
The Panthers will now play the remainder of the regular season with Jarome Luai out with a knee injury and Cleary hit with a five match suspension.

In a nut(case) shell, Gould, Fittler and Slater has all come out and said poor old Nathan Cleary should not have been suspended for so many weeks as he is a good player and doesn't need five weeks to realise he did something wrong.

Origin coaches Billy Slater and Brad Fittler have come under fire for suggesting Nathan Cleary be handed a lighter suspension due to his character and standing in the game.

Cleary accepted a five-week ban following his send off for an ugly lifting tackle on Eels star Dylan Brown over the weekend.
well its the same as the light handed treatment the NRL gave Studs Up and Scam for their indiscretions, so shouldn't all the stars get preferential treatment? 🤦‍♂️

So basically, the 3 stooges at Nine want referees, the MRC and the judiciary to go easy on the "good players" like Cleary.

Where does that leave some average/fringe first grader in a bottom 4 side?? What, if Fred Nobody from the Tigers or Titans or Knights does a spear tackle he should get 5 weeks while Nathan Cleary should only get a slap on the wrist for the same thing???

Sorry for the language but fvck off. Its bad enough on Nine when Johns and Thurston cry blue murder anytime a halfback takes a hard tackle ("Protect the play makers".....). Now they want good players given leniency for foul play???

well its the same as the light handed treatment the NRL gave Studs Up and Scam for their indiscretions, so shouldn't all the stars get preferential treatment? 🤦‍♂️

Ugh...don't even start! (triggers bad memories)

So basically, the 3 stooges at Nine want referees, the MRC and the judiciary to go easy on the "good players" like Cleary.

Where does that leave some average/fringe first grader in a bottom 4 side?? What, if Fred Nobody from the Tigers or Titans or Knights does a spear tackle he should get 5 weeks while Nathan Cleary should only get a slap on the wrist for the same thing???

Pretty much. 'Lesser' players need more experience playing to get better...but spend more time suspended , therefore playing less, making it harder to get to the lofty levels where you can dump a guy on their head and get 2 weeks.

lol.

Slater said:
“Do we need to be wiping our best players out of the competition for a quarter of the season for one mistake that they make?” Slater said on Channel Nine’s Billy’s Breakdown.

“I don’t think we need good players out of the game for six weeks to remind them that that’s not what you do,” he said on 100% Footy.

“That’s just an error of judgement. I know this Penrith tackling technique very well, he’s probably thinking his other two players would support that player a little better than they did. They pulled away from it and he found himself in an awkward position.
“Does Nathan Cleary need six weeks away from the game to learn his lesson that that’s the wrong tackle to make? He knew it six seconds after he did it that it was wrong.
“They probably want to send a message to the rest of the competition, they want it to look like the star players don’t get special treatment.”

St George forward Aaron Woods, however, was enraged by the stance. (of those three morons).

“Freddy and Billy Slater were coming out and saying ‘he’s a good bloke and we don’t want to be missing these good players before semi-finals’,” Woods said on Triple M.

“Freddy came out and said that Liam Martin helped it a bit – no he didn’t. He pulled off the tackle and you see Cleary re-grip and get a hand in between the leg.

“That’s the difference between the one with Karl Lawton at the start of the year…(that tackle) was fully momentum, he got around the waist with both hands and it was just a driving tackle and luckily (Cameron) Murray twisted and landed in a really good position.

“Dylan Brown was still on the ground, you could see how hurt he was and he (Cleary) had all the intent. Just because he comes out on Instagram and says ‘I’m sorry and it was totally out of character’ - that’s what happens on a rugby league field.
“Things can go one way or the other and it obviously had no malice, but that’s just part of the game.

“It’s a joke – remember he got in trouble for the TikTok? People forget about that as well.
I got 10 in the bin the other week and was like ‘mate you shouldn’t have done that’ but everyone else was like ‘sucked in’.
“If Jared Waerea-Hargreaves does the spear tackle, we’d give him life in this game.
“It just frustrates me, just because they are the players they like – call a spade a spade.”

The NRL360 panel also took aim at those suggesting Cleary be afforded special treatment.

“I heard Billy Slater talking after the game saying how Nathan doesn’t need five weeks on the sideline to realise he’s made a mistake, but you have to put him out,” Paul Kent said on Monday night.
“What do you mean he doesn’t need five weeks out to learn?,” Braith Anasta questioned.
“Because Nathan’s smart enough to correct it and he knows he made a blue,” Kent replied.
“He wasn’t agreeing with the five week penalty, he was thinking one or two weeks could have been enough,” Kent answered.
The Panthers will now play the remainder of the regular season with Jarome Luai out with a knee injury and Cleary hit with a five match suspension.
yes what jokes of statements that different players get different suspensions based on who they are...Kent and Gould are total knobs... Slater does have some brains.. he must have left them at home with that comment.

Now that Slater is Qld Origin coach he has a vested interest in a "good player" getting leniency. After all, he wouldn't want a Ponga or Grant or Munster or DCE sitting out a suspension which could cost him a series.....

n a nut(case) shell, Gould, Fittler and Slater has all come out and said poor old Nathan Cleary should not have been suspended for so many weeks as he is a good player and doesn't need five weeks to realise he did something wrong.
It is laughable. All punishments have a component of what is known as 'general deterrence'. ie, whack someone hard so that others get the message and won't commit the offence. (Of course the concept of general deterrence itself is pretty dubious, otherwise crime would have been eradicated generations ago!)

In NSW criminal law the purposes of punishment are :
(a) to ensure that the offender is adequately punished for the offence,
(b) to prevent crime by deterring the offender and other persons from committing similar offences,
(c) to protect the community from the offender,
(d) to promote the rehabilitation of the offender,
(e) to make the offender accountable for his or her actions,
(f) to denounce the conduct of the offender,
(g) to recognise the harm done to the victim of the crime and the community.

Now that Slater is Qld Origin coach he has a vested interest in a "good player" getting leniency. After all, he wouldn't want a Ponga or Grant or Munster or DCE sitting out a suspension which could cost him a series.....
All those commentators have a vested interest in bums on couches in front ot TVs so they want the 'best' players on view.

yes what jokes of statements that different players get different suspensions based on who they are...Kent and Gould are total knobs... Slater does have some brains.. he must have left them at home with that comment.
Even Brandy, on Fox, said that the Ref & MRC had no choice and we have to treat such tackles seriously to get rid of them

Not enough force the NRL said.

Cracked Egan's teeth, but nah not enough force. Apparently he would have needed to break the kids jaw for it to be enough force..... :wondering:

The mrc kept talking about separation as if there's no such thing as inertia nor momentum.

So I guess you can take off a footy boot and throw it at the head of an opponent as there'd be 'clear separation' from your hand, the boot, and the other guy's noggin'.

Also - you can see in the replay (and especially the slo-mo), NAS throws his hips in the air to get more momentum and force in bringing the guy into the turf.

And as Shakira says 'hips don't lie'.

Slater said:

I read this today. Or I should’ve said I re-read the first paragraph, thinking, they can’t be serious. Maybe the Fittler/Gould Panther love in. But Slater? Wtf.
Shall we give Klein a new job….’ Who’s a good bloke and who isn’t? Who’s smart enough to not require the full suspension and who’s dumb enough to require the lot? Yep, clear as mud.

I'm not sure what jwh wasn't dirtier and cattier than what Cleary did, no Cleary fan but constancy is a bit silly atm, I get there two different infringements I just don't care to view them any differently. Both deserved suspension.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4