Bulldogs - Salary Cap Cheaters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Thing is even if the Dogs offload some players, if they are on backended contracts, that means another club is going to have to offer sizable penny for those players, otherwise the Dogs are going to have to pay a large percentage of the final year of the contract. If so that comes off their salary cap. Do they also lose the number of players they can identify as their 30, like Manly has had to do with Myles etc. Unless Greenberg changes the rules quickly, and I think he will, the dogs are going to be in far worse circumstances than we are in 2019, with several of their 30 playing for other clubs. If he does that the sh*t will really hit the fan.

Why aren't those hacks Hooper and Sloshfield all over the bulldogs story? Hasn't Dean pay spoken with his advisors(Stuart lol) to get out or has he already had the call from Toddy that all will be okay, it's only Manly we want out?

How do clubs and more importantly the NRL sign off on contracts and adherence to the salary cap.
Some basic excel spreadsheet knowledge would ensure the Dogs would know exactly how much each year is going to cost them.
The NRL must be totally incompetent if they do not know what each club pays each player and if any clubs have exposure.
Manly are cap compliant, but now sone of our unpaid tpa's are being treated as not tpa and part of salary cap.

Crazy

I'm actually not sure why Manly would be made responsible for TPAs and the failure of company's to pay the extra to players. They suggested manly had promised the TPA but it had fallen through. But my understanding is that TPAs are completely separate from the Club and are arranged with the player manager, not the club...or at least that's how it should be I understand. Ergo, any player complaining they didnt get TPA payments, has no argument with the club at all. Am I misinterpreting this. I'm assuming Manly is being accused of arranging the TPAs (something surely every club with a TPA backing would be involved in, otherwise why are the TPAs part of the contract deal).

I'm actually not sure why Manly would be made responsible for TPAs and the failure of company's to pay the extra to players. They suggested manly had promised the TPA but it had fallen through. But my understanding is that TPAs are completely separate from the Club and are arranged with the player manager, not the club...or at least that's how it should be I understand. Ergo, any player complaining they didnt get TPA payments, has no argument with the club at all. Am I misinterpreting this. I'm assuming Manly is being accused of arranging the TPAs (something surely every club with a TPA backing would be involved in, otherwise why are the TPAs part of the contract deal).

I thought someone else on here (probably happilymanly) said that the nrl said there were two problems.

One was Manly said that they would help players via their "best endeavours" regarding tpa's which the nrl has decided means we guaranteed tpa's and subsequent payments. (rubbish)

The second was that the nrl decided that every time Manly said to a player manager to speak to some business regarding a tpa then "that" was a tpa and should have been registered.

The total b/s nrl rulings with this one is: a) it was supposed to be declared even if the tpa didn't end up happening o_O, and b) if a business has some cash they want to offer a player as a tpa.... in 100 times out of 100 they will ring the club about who to contact. Everyone can easily find the club's number.... who the hell knows the player managers' numbers or even which manager represents whom??

If the above were to be applied to all clubs, invariably all clubs would be over the cap.

Witch hunt!

The thing that pisses me off about all of this, guilty or not, is that compared to what the Dogs, Storm, Eels and now it looks like the Dogs again, we really didn't do a whole lot wrong and the fact that we aren't over the cap means that its just technicalities and not actual salary cap cheating.

Yet we were hit the hardest by the NRL. Sure the others lost points - the Dogs lost all of their 2002 points, the Storm didn't play for points in 2010 (plus they lost the titles they had won), and Doesn't-matta lost 12 points in 2016. But they were all basically allowed to keep the same squads relatively intact. We've been hit with a cap penalty for 2 years which has impacted and will continue to impact our ability to recruit or keep players until 2020.

And you can bet that even if the Dogs are caught cheating the cap, they won't cop the same level of sanctions from the NRL that we have.

If you want to look at it in terms of real life crimes.....we ran a stop light and got thrown in gaol for 2 years. The others committed armed robbery and got a 12 month suspended sentence.

Last edited:
Its not 2019 yet.....Bulldogs will have to shed players to sort themselves

This is the mess Hasler gets clubs into yet still some want him back here
Nah we won game so no one wants him back. Have to wait till we lose a couple on the trot before he’s a SuperCoach again...

I honestly wouldn't want Des back as coach. Not forgetting that we really didn't get to enjoy the 2011 premiership win for very long after he announced he was leaving and all the crap associated with that, there are two reasons.

I think the game may have passed him by as a coach. And that he has now left two clubs in financial crap with his back ended contracts makes me think he will find it hard to get another NRL coaching gig, if he wants one. Someone will probably give him a go, but whoever does needs to monitor the contracts very very carefully lest they end up like us or the Dogs.

For the life of me I can’t stop thinking that this whole issue is in part due to Todd still clearly being pissed that he missed out on Foz in 2012, apparently because of a TPA that subsequently fell through and was not paid by the third party. Todd’s comments about players being “taken off the market” sounded as though he had been on the wrong end of it personally.

The Dishlickers have their members’ forum tonight and one of my mates from work is going. Even he can’t stand Todd and expects Todd to be slammed at the forum! Maybe manly should have a members’ forum and invite Todd along ...

Manly’s whole issue seems to be a few sloppy words in some emails. If we take this all the way through the Courts we should subpoena all the clubs to see their emails. I bet we’re not the only ones to use sloppy language, and I bet we find a lot worse...

After the investigation where the NRL wanted to see all computers and personal devices owned or in the possession of staff and family members, I would be surprised if many clubs haven’t already done a systematic ‘spring clean’ of their communications.

The dog has a strategy which anyone coach could use but it cripples a club. His strategy is to go on the market and buy good players using back ended contracts to lure them. He did it to Manly and now he's done it to the dogs. If the strategy works you might win a comp before the back ended contracts kick in and you're hailed as a super coach, if it doesn't work you don't win a comp people start asking questions and when the back ended contracts kick in you end up being sacked and the club is crippled as the Dogs are now.

This is where all this Klemmer chatter came from - obviously all the NRL teams will look to dissect the club, knowing they MUST release players and all be hunting to take the best available players.
Who does this leave??
Klemmer would add to any roster in the NRL, but the pickings are slim.....I like that backrower Mariner but there's not a heap of others that are even worthwhile.

The NRL could easily stop these back ended deals from happening. Why couldn't they have a rule where the amount a player must receive each year is the average of the total contract value?

Why doesn't the NRL manage everything ? All players paid by NRL only.

If you want to give a player a TPA give the money to NRL who then pay the player.

If any money end up in a players account that is not from the NRL it's illegal.

30 Players x 16 clubs mean 480 players total. They would need 1 or 2 people on the payroll staff.

I honestly wouldn't want Des back as coach. Not forgetting that we really didn't get to enjoy the 2011 premiership win for very long after he announced he was leaving and all the crap associated with that, there are two reasons.

I think the game may have passed him by as a coach. And that he has now left two clubs in financial crap with his back ended contracts makes me think he will find it hard to get another NRL coaching gig, if he wants one. Someone will probably give him a go, but whoever does needs to monitor the contracts very very carefully lest they end up like us or the Dogs.
He's the kind of coach that needs a general manager like a US sports franchise. He can't be given unilateral control of salary cap and recruitment and retention. He'll cripple a club in order to try for some short term success. He's a control freak though so whether he agrees to coach under a gm is another issue.

Manly takes players off the market with illegal TPA's .... Media attack the unfairness of removing players and not allowing other clubs to make a play for the players.

Dogs take players off the market with over budgeted salary cap... Media do nothing.

The media agenda for our club is so blatant it's incredible.

The dogs have got themselves in to such a bad position that they can't get a 30man squad without releasing players on big money...

If that's not taking players off the market and not giving other clubs a chance of securing those players (exactly what Manly has been abused about) then I don't know what is.

100% true.

How could the dogs sign 900k each for Foran and Woods when the NRL must/should have known 12 months later they could not be salary cap compliant.

If that is not removing two players off the market, I don't know how more blatant you can get.

There needs to be an investigation!! A real one!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8