Bulldog (Storm) tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Agreeing with a bunch of comments about this in the game day thread.
The game's administrators (I use the term loosely) have to do something about the dreadful group hug all fall down tackling style that slows the play the ball. Apparently legal, it allows the defence to reset each time and hampers attacking footy. It also is **** boring to watch and significantly reduces the amount of time the ball is in play, ie, the amount of actual footy played.
I was very impressed with the way the Dogs have mastered this Storm invention, they are expert at it. However it is infuriating and a blight on the game.
And it also makes the tackled player far too vulnerable to injury. How many times do we have to see this before something is done to eradicate it?
If the Dogs spent as much time practising football as they must have spent mastering this cynical spoiling strategy they would have a reasonable team.
Rant over! @:mad:

Perineum was blowing the whistle at everything but that. So obviously a blight on the game. Has been green lighted but greenstooge. It's sickening to watch our beloved game turn into rock n roll wrestling. At least there you know it's rigged.

The game's administrators (I use the term loosely) have to do something about the dreadful group hug all fall down tackling style that slows the play the ball. Apparently legal, it allows the defence to reset each time and hampers attacking footy. It also is **** boring to watch and significantly reduces the amount of time the ball is in play, ie, the amount of actual footy played.
I was very impressed with the way the Dogs have mastered this Storm invention, they are expert at it. However it is infuriating and a blight on the game.
And it also makes the tackled player far too vulnerable to injury. How many times do we have to see this before something is done to eradicate it?
If the Dogs spent as much time practising football as they must have spent mastering this cynical spoiling strategy they would have a reasonable team.
One part of this is incorrect
Apparently legal (insert except for manly)

Somehow they have to outlaw the 3rd man in around the legs tactic, Not sure how you do that.though. Maybe make a rule where only the first two tacklers are allowed to go around legs ?

The onus also has to be put on the attacking player to play the ball on the mark once held is called. I find it equally frustrating how they let the ball carrier continue to fight and push after held is called. Then they push through or around the mark to play the ball to try and isolate the markers or milk a penalty. The defence collapse the ruck late to stop this happening as well.

Coaches will always try tactics that push the limits of the laws, that's what they are paid to do.

In good news though the refs last night were trying to stamp out another blight on the game. The days of the short flat pass are numbered

Its so grubby and a bad look for the game. But I do think the Nrl has allowed it to make the Bulldogs competitive this season and because of there salary cap problems. Think about it if the play the ball was quicker Rabbits would have smashed them and I'm sure we would have scored another try somewhere. What I can't believe is the amount of forward passes the touchy seen yesterday surely spec savers has helped..

I have heard it said that they should limit the tackles to three defenders.
For me as soon as momentum stops the player is held, why do we need to lay all over the guy staring at the ref until he says mooove?

Did you notice how QUICKLY the Melbourne players dropped off tackles were with about 3 min to go in Cronulla's last couple of sets on Friday? I had been yelling at the set by this stage all night at the Storms 'holding' all match (and it was Friday night so I was well refreshed )

"Now... you get of the fcckn tackle"

And I think I read somewhere that Scam was "happy with the refs this year "...

Who was that referee who sent Scam off last year

I have heard it said that they should limit the tackles to three defenders.
For me as soon as momentum stops the player is held, why do we need to lay all over the guy staring at the ref until he says mooove?

And then 4 players hold one man up and push him back 10-15 metres .... WTF has that got to do with Rugby League ..

Back in the day (I love saying that) a tackle was deemed to have been effected when forward momentum had ceased ....

Fair enough if in a one on one tackle or even a 2 on one tackle they are good enough .... but 4 or more blokes pushing one bloke backwards is just Bull**** and ridiculous ....

Didn’t annesley in last week’s ref’s wrap covered this and the ball in play times. The bulldogs were one of the worst in the earlier games of the season but had been warned and last week were one of the better teams in this respect. Seems like that only lasted 1 week. The refs have a stipulated time before they call held or blow a penalty. perenara obviously did get the memo or more likely just chose to ignore it. Ironically he penalised us for a ‘leg pull’ before the player had hit the ground. He is seriously incompetent and totally biased

The third man in is what did the damage to AFB's knee.

I think it was Jeremy Marshall-King and he came in with a bit of force.

They did outlaw this tactic a couple of years ago. If you came in below the knees as third man, it had to be soft and no force. That seems to have gone out the window as well as most of the rules.

Dogs have no game so they just rely on slowing down the play the ball. What they got away with against Souths was criminal. I just knew they would do the same against us.

One thing that made me smile, the only time they did get pinged for it was at 14-10 in front of their posts. That was a good penalty for us to get and would've hurt them. They must have assumed they wouldn't get penalised as they had been doing it the whole game.

The simple solution is to legalise slowing the ruck down, and force coaches to come up with innovative attacking plays that do not focus on dummy half runs off the back of a supersonic speed ruck.
What we are currently watching is the SuperLeague touch footy vision, mixed with the slowing tactic of Bellamyball.

Put the onus on coaches to come up with positive tactics, not negative wrestle.
If the local guys on a Sunday arvo can do it, surely so can NRL squads.

Reduce interchange if we need more fatigue.
I'm all for limiting wrestle to prevent injury, and third man at the legs but I'm sure these tactics will soon disappear if the ruck was slowed by the refs anyway. There would be no need to waste energy in the wrestle, cause it would be unnecessary.

And last night I got to bed with Henry's squeaky voice in my head yelling "Jake, Jake get off him Jake, Jake stay out of it Jake".
Fmd, you've got 1 of the truly great modern defenders being hounded by someone who should be plying his 'craft' in Z grade...

Dogs have no game so they just rely on slowing down the play the ball. What they got away with against Souths was criminal. I just knew they would do the same against us.
Exactly, supported by the half-time interview with Josh Jackson who, when asked what they needed to do in the second half to get back into the game, could only come up with “we’ve got to be better at slowing up the Manly ruck and play the ball”.

Nothing about being more creative with the ball in hand, nothing about harder defence, not even the old chestnuts like controlling the footy, laying a platform etc etc, just we’ve got to slow up Manly.

The simple solution is to legalise slowing the ruck down, and force coaches to come up with innovative attacking plays that do not focus on dummy half runs off the back of a supersonic speed ruck.
What we are currently watching is the SuperLeague touch footy vision, mixed with the slowing tactic of Bellamyball.

Put the onus on coaches to come up with positive tactics, not negative wrestle.
If the local guys on a Sunday arvo can do it, surely so can NRL squads.

Reduce interchange if we need more fatigue.
I'm all for limiting wrestle to prevent injury, and third man at the legs but I'm sure these tactics will soon disappear if the ruck was slowed by the refs anyway. There would be no need to waste energy in the wrestle, cause it would be unnecessary.
Maybe the defensive line must hold until the dummy half has the ball rather than the situation now where they rush up as soon as the player starts to play the ball.

And last night I got to bed with Henry's squeaky voice in my head yelling "Jake, Jake get off him Jake, Jake stay out of it Jake".
Fmd, you've got 1 of the truly great modern defenders being hounded by someone who should be plying his 'craft' in Z grade...
Jake not square! Jake not square!

It’s very interesting to see how often these teams players get “tangled up” in the tackle (which is often just a lack of effort to clear the ruck and give the attacking player space to play the ball).

Perinara last night was coaching us out of the wrestle with quick held calls and immediate get off hims, plus apparently we are never square at marker. These things make a big difference in a game but don’t go down on a stats sheet so no one raises the issue, on one occasion this allowed Lewis the time to plant a 40/20 which could have swung the game.

Also, the longer a play the ball is drawn out with wrestle the further the 10m gap should be. It should start at 8 and then keep getting bigger the longer the defensive team delays the play the ball. This should allow the attacking teams forwards to get more momentum on the next play, increase fatigue and give the halves some time to pass it wider.

You make a lot of sense but unfortunately there is little common sense in those that run our game .

In the mean time all we can do is do what the other fckers do to us

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4