Brookvale oval surface issues.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Its the telecrap at it again but it should be better than shouldn't it?

Three codes express concern at Brookvale Oval playing surface

Dean Ritchie, Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
February 10, 2019 9:39am
Subscriber only
The NSW Waratahs have sought urgent assurances that a patchy and shoddy Brookvale Oval playing surface will be fixed this week after expressing “fears” of a long-term player injury.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Manly Sea Eagles and Sydney FC have commissioned a report through playing surface experts, Labosport, to determine whether the ground is safe for elite sportsmen.

The NSW Waratahs will start their Super Rugby season with a big game against Wellington Hurricanes at Brookvale this Saturday night. Manly play a trial against Cronulla at Lottoland on Saturday week while Sydney FC confront Melbourne City at Brookvale in an A-League match on March 17.

d19e5a43b2eb08e232a39b03f2db895e

Brookvale Oval could lose games due to a poor playing surface.
MORE NRL NEWS

RESEARCH SHOWS HOW SEASON OF SHAME HURT NRL

WHAT’S THE BUZZ: SAINT, SINNER, SHOOSH

MONDAY BUZZ: WEEKEND HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS

All three rival sports are nervous playing on the ground’s second-rate playing surface. They quietly admit there is some chance they could shift matches.

Cronulla officials have also privately expressed their worries about the trial match at Brookvale. That game could be moved if the ground surface is severely chewed up by the Waratahs-Hurricanes games.

NSW Waratahs chief executive, Andrew Hore, was expecting a report about Brookvale Oval from Northern Beaches Council – who manage the ground - on Monday morning.

“We went there (to the ground) and checked it over on Friday and we acknowledge there are patches and we have raised that with council. We have asked for council’s plans for this week,” Hore told The Daily telegraph

31315f0f18ecd26dfe12d755a6d8c4e5

Various clubs have expressed concern at the state of the surface. Picture: Mark Evans
“We want to know what their regime is going to be with those patches. We are pretty excited about going back and playing there but we need to make sure that everything is done in accordance to ensure we get a quality surface.

“We just want to make sure things are happening this week, things they said they would do.

“Most ACL’s don’t happen in scrums, they happen in general play, like in rugby league. I think that’s the greatest fear. That’s why football and rugby league would share the same concerns I’d suggest.

“When we played here last year it was perfectly fine; the pre-season game the year before not so good.”

fe78c6a9e77bfd94a8436aea16f8c566

The surface appears dangerous for players.
The Daily Telegraph walked the Brookvale Oval playing surface on Sunday and it was terrible. There were patches scattered across a ground, especially under the goal posts at each end. The ground surface was no better than a suburban park footy ground. Manly has been told the ground was used over summer for park soccer.

Sydney FC is understood to have sent officials to inspect the playing surface – and they too expressed doubts.

“We had tests done on the ground last week and we are just waiting on the results. I know Sydney FC have had a test done as well because they have a game coming up. Both clubs are trying to protect our own interests,” said Manly chief executive, Lyall Gorman.

“We got an independent expert – Labo Sports – to come in. They are world renowned. That’s what they do, that’s their business.

7f27eb18ab210fb3ae39e22a7609bdbb

The surface is used by park footballers during summer.
“We had a sea of injuries last year. None of them were attributable to the ground but we are doing everything we can to make sure every precaution is taken in every part of our business and player welfare.”

Asked had he walked on the playing surface, Gorman said: “I have and there is some work to do. But I’m not a curator – they know the timelines that they’ve got.

“We will get the results and assess it. We had an independent test done last year and it was fine. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The tests will give us a clear view of exactly where we’re at.”

Hore was reluctant to discuss moving the match so late should the report be negative and the on-field patches remain. But he did admit: “There is always that issue but we don’t foresee it being an issue.”

202358b6a6e689554b6e9364d4e4c65d

The Waratahs are set to face the Hurricanes at Brookvale Oval on February 15. Picture: Stuart Walmsley
It is believed Manly has cancelled some club training sessions on Brookvale for fear of player injury.

When contacted about the ground, Manly coach Des Hasler said: “I’m sure council would be doing everything they can to ensure they maintain the standards necessary for sporting sides to not only participate at Lottoland but to make sure the ground can attract professional sporting sides to the northern beaches for the local constituents.”

The drama comes just 48 hours after Manly and the State Government announced a $36.1 million centre of excellence would be built at the northern end of Brookvale Oval. The money was not allocated for a ground surface revamp.

Asked could the trial match be shifted if the test results were poor, Gorman said: “That’s speculative. The goal is to play the game at Lottoland for the sake of our members and fans.”

Last edited:
Until the council either allow manly to have its own ground curator or even better still employ a full time curator themselves aka like the scg, SFS and Anz Stadium do these problems won’t go away.

Really it’s the council who are really blame for not investing the necessary funds for upkeep of the ground.

Finally also until the council stop treating Brookvale Oval like they do any other local sporting park and actually start to see it as professionally used sporting arena things won’t change at all.

Last edited:
Oh and yes all three codes should be concerned and I would hate to see any of these matches moved as I am planning on going to all three matches.

If it’s that bad now, wait until the union players rip it to pieces, it will look as bad as suncorp after that game

Two things:

1. This type of article never appears about the sandpit that you see at Suncorp Stadium, yet at the first patch of dirt you see at Brookvale, you see a page full of 'BrookFAIL' in the DT.

But being from Ritchie, there is probably an agenda being pushed by a source close to home.

2. Brookvale Oval is a public park so realistically cannot be maintained as a national sports ground 24/7 during the off season.

However, the council charges the club an arm and a leg to rent the ground as a premium sports venue. So you would reasonably expect that they hold up their end of the bargain and make sure it is in adequate condition when it is game time.

It has been crap forever if you think it is up to professional sports standard then you must be looking forward to a visit from the Easter Bunny.
I remember about 10 years ago there was talk about putting in artificial grass similar to an NFL ground or handing it to some trust similar to the SCG to look after it.
Nothing will change while the council look after it.

Ok so we all know it's sh*t but Suncorp and ANZ are hardly pristine surfaces.
Maybe that crap newspaper and even crapper excuses for journos can turn their attention to the bigger fish.
Yeah right...

How hard is it to grow grass. I gotta mow my lawn twice a week at the moment.

They don't train on it .. and they play on it 9 times a year ..... 9 fukken times a year .... thats once every 6 weeks .....

How in hell can you not have a good surface ...... water, a bit of goodie feriliser, some anti-bindy-eye and a mow ... how hard is it ...

they ned to get the greenskeeper from .. say Mona Vale Golf course .. with 5000 times the wear and tear a day than Brookie sees in a year .... the fairways are 100 times better ....

PSS ..... Councils are very sensetive to critism ..... local residents need to send complaints to the Council about the surface ... make it an issue .... some one is getting paid to do a job they are not doing ... and you as rate payers are paying him/her ....

They don't train on it .. and they play on it 9 times a year ..... 9 fukken times a year .... thats once every 6 weeks .....

How in hell can you not have a good surface ...... water, a bit of goodie feriliser, some anti-bindy-eye and a mow ... how hard is it ...

they ned to get the greenskeeper from .. say Mona Vale Golf course .. with 5000 times the wear and tear a day than Brookie sees in a year .... the fairways are 100 times better ....

PSS ..... Councils are very sensetive to critism ..... local residents need to send complaints to the Council about the surface ... make it an issue .... some one is getting paid to do a job they are not doing ... and you as rate payers are paying him/her ....

Gene Ngamu's a greenkeeper.

Bring him back to Brookie!

#makemanlygreatagain

Until the council either allow manly to have its own ground curator or even better still employ a full time curator themselves aka like the scg, SFS and Anz Stadium do these problems won’t go away.

Really it’s the council who are really blame for not investing the necessary funds for upkeep of the ground.

Finally also until the council stop treating Brookvale Oval like they do any other local sporting park and actual start to see it as professionally used sporting arena things won’t change at all.
Council always seems to spend buckets of money and attention on Manly oval which is green and well grassed

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4