Brookvale Centre of excellence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I mean, come on, get real local and state governments (barely above local park quality) :
brookvale-oval-1.jpg

I'm with Ryan on this one.

I love the charm of Brookie or a Leichhardt etc but a modern boutique stadium (think a 20k Bankwest) is what we need.

The diehards will grumble about the good old days but still come and the casuals are much more likely to attend

Last edited:
Give me Brookie any day over a Bank West monstrosity.
Our history and traditions are there ,great times.

Nostalgia is great mate, but it doesn't bring in corporate dollars. Nor does it bring in spectator safety (saw this old lady - souths fan) get torn up by the wire along the fence one day, nor does it bring in game day logistics (lines to toilets, lines to merchants etc) in a positive way.

Throw state of the art facilities around the oval, everything that happened in the past and in our history still did champeen.

This was the ground in 1947 (actually not TOO different) hahaha, but different. It's been updated many times since then (poorly)...doesn't change the past mate

1628222549950.png

Nostalgia is great mate, but it doesn't bring in corporate dollars. Nor does it bring in spectator safety (saw this old lady - souths fan) get torn up by the wire along the fence one day, nor does it bring in game day logistics (lines to toilets, lines to merchants etc) in a positive way.

Throw state of the art facilities around the oval, everything that happened in the past and in our history still did champeen.

This was the ground in 1947 (actually not TOO different) but different. It's been updated many times since then (poorly)...doesn't change the past mate

View attachment 18929
The ground has character, and atmosphere, unlike sterile grounds such as the Football Stadium when Easts are playing to tens of thousands of empty seats.
I've been watching Manly play from the Brookie Hill for more than 60 years now and there is nothing that goes close to the view, the anticipation and the memories of great matches and players of the past.
You destroy history and you destroy the past.

The ground has character, and atmosphere, unlike sterile grounds such as the Football Stadium when Easts are playing to tens of thousands of empty seats.
I've been watching Manly play from the Brookie Hill for more than 60 years now and there is nothing that goes close to the view, the anticipation and the memories of great matches and players of the past.
You destroy history and you destroy the past.

Fair point, but I don't think we have the space, demographic, or ability to build a monstrosity. I agree with you about the lack of "personality" I guess in those huge places.

Brooky Oval will always have that "close in on the play" type of feel. We'll always have the amazing sound being so tight in on each other. It will always feel tribal. Remember the words coming out of the suburban ground discussions, is boutique. I like the sound of that.

Modern, with the ability to generate corporate dollars to help keep us afloat. An in-built leagues club that also generates income. The current leagues club generates nothing. Fences and seats that don't tear, rip and shred skin. Appropriate exits in case of fire and/or emergency.

All that good stuff mate.

Fair point, but I don't think we have the space, demographic, or ability to build a monstrosity. I agree with you about the lack of "personality" I guess in those huge places.

Brooky Oval will always have that "close in on the play" type of feel. We'll always have the amazing sound being so tight in on each other. It will always feel tribal. Remember the words coming out of the suburban ground discussions, is boutique. I like the sound of that.

Modern, with the ability to generate corporate dollars to help keep us afloat. An in-built leagues club that also generates income. The current leagues club generates nothing. Fences and seats that don't tear, rip and shred skin. Appropriate exits in case of fire and/or emergency.

All that good stuff mate.
I absolutely love Brookie as it is but as a rusted on fan I'm willing to endure a lot more than most to watch the team live.

Attendance is dwindling and that is in no small part thanks to the outdated facilities. A state of the art 20000 seat stadium would encourage families to attend and the children of those families will become the next generation of rusted on fans.

To remain viable as a club we need a ground that adds value to the game day experience rather being something that turns people off attending.

PS if they do get rid of the hill I want a piece of it for my backyard, so I don't have to change my username.

I absolutely love Brookie as it is but as a rusted on fan I'm willing to endure a lot more than most to watch the team live.

Attendance is dwindling and that is in no small part thanks to the outdated facilities. A state of the art 20000 seat stadium would encourage families to attend and the children of those families will become the next generation of rusted on fans.
I wonder if outdated facilities are the reason for dwindling attendances. I was part of 27,000 crowds when Brookie was far more outdated. I believe the reason for dwindling attendances is Pay TV. People rationalise that if they are already paying to watch RL why pay again to attend?
I'm sure we'd all agree that if there was no TV coverage we have a hell of a lot more people attending RL matches. What they are missing is the 'electricity' in the air in big matches, such as the Battle of Brookvale which is currently being fondly remembered. I'll never forget that evening on the Hill, yet watching even the most stirring of Manly victories on TV is never as memorable.
I'm happy for Brookie to be modernised, but I'd like the Hill to remain. In fact, I'm agitating for the Hill to be higher, like in the old days. Add an extra 10-metres of height to the Hill and you'd increase attendances by a further thousand. That's a pretty good return on investment for some soil and grass clippings. It would also give Brookie a uniqueness not found at modern stadiums.

The lease on the league's club is done in the next 12-18 months so that will be gone too. Penn making a huge profit there, to this developers.

So it's the ground, and ground only. Where will.patrons congregate after games.

There needs to be a much better facility with a huge stand on the eastern side with league's club facilities underneath. And I mean new , modern facilities.

The hill side could be huge if developed properly.

Below is what we need to aim for.
Ryan, I think you will find that the club are mindful of that and that the current master plan could accommodate a new LC under either a new eastern stand, or perhaps more appropriately along the Pittwater Rd frontage. Again, checkout post # 15 - which looks remarkably like a smaller (and more realistic) version of your image posted above.

Meanwhile they need a Plan B, if the more aspirational proposal falls over. A nice start would be to replace the remaining wooden benches with individual seating.

Surely it’s not too much to ask (in this day and age) of what should be one of the wealthiest LGAs in NSW?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4