Brookie upgrade stories and Christina Kirsch reply

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=117051&s=0

WARRINGAH Council will finally proceed with the $10 million upgrade of Brookvale Oval but the vote on Tuesday night was not unanimous.

The initial focus of the work will be the Jane Try Stand, including the roof and seating, and the refurbishment of the change rooms, public amenities and food and drink outlets.

The council will pay $4 million towards the upgrade and the State Government will pay $6 million.

Manly Sea Eagles chief executive officer Grant Mayer said he was “over the moon” that the upgrade will proceed.

“To delay the process would have been unnecessary but commonsense has prevailed,” he said.

“It’s a great decision for the community.”

A council spokeswoman said minor works will be completed before the start of the 2009 season, some work that won’t interrupt games will continue during the season and any major work will happen at the end of next season.

Some of the works will require the council to lodge a development application that will be assessed by the Warringah Development Assessment Panel.

Councillor Julie Sutton, who moved that the work proceed, said all of the proposed works “are consistent with the existing Brookvale Park Plan of Management”.

“This is housekeeping of a valuable community asset,” she said.

“We need to fix what is a rotting and decaying asset. We’ve got $10 million for this, so let’s use it.”

But councillor Christina Kirsch argued that the community should be consulted before any work is done.

“This is a massive project and we need to make sure we are spending the money properly,” she said.

“The plan of management says the community must be consulted.

“But there is no community consultation in the expenditure of this money.”

But Cr Sutton said the upgrade “is not something that requires community consultation - it needs fixing”.

“Fixing cracked concrete doesn’t require community consultation,” she said.

This is now from Christina Kirsch:-
$ 10 Million fo fixing ‘Concrete Cracks’

Council will spending $ 10 million of ratepayers money, originally earmarked for the ‘upgrade’ of Brookvale Oval, on repairs of the Jane Try stand - without any community consultation. Instead of investigating the needs of all stakeholders and without taking into account Warringah’s recreational strategy, the majority of councillors have decided to go ahead with the Sea Eagles’ wish list. Rather than finally turning the ground into the intended multi-purpose facility, Warringah Council fritters 10 Million away on ‘fixing concrete cracks’ in the Jane Try stand. We are spending $ 10 Million - a massive infrastructure investment - on more comfortable seats for 12 events a year for a facility that is hijacked for almost exclusive use by one stakeholder group at the expense of all others. This makes $ 800 000,- per annual event, in support of a privately owned company. Most councillors have promised during their election campaigns to increase transparency and community involvement. Instead, the majority of councillors have voted against my motion that asked for transparency and community input in the upgrade of Brookvale Oval.

add your comment
here
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brookie-upgrade/

The ground no longer meets OH&S standards and needs to be fixed before the council and club are sued. 

I am sure that Christina Kirsch purchased her property after Brookvale oval was built.  She probably previously lived in Mascot and campaigned to close the airport.

The dumb broad should be asking how much value Manly gives to the promotion of her little backwater.

i highly reccomend getting down to the next council meeting and supporting the spend.

it will shut her up

The proposed works have been publicly displayed for almost 2 years. There is a legitimate requirement and obligation to ensure that Council funds are spent correctly but obviously Kirsch has come in at the very end with no understanding or intention of accepting of what has been put forward. To me she obviously has a beef with the expenditure, from the way she has positioned the old "12 games games a year", and that is really annoying. It is a council asset she would obviously prefer to let crumble to dust. The mayor was elected on a platform of an upgrade and the sooner she accepts that is what the majority of the constituents want, then the better off she will be. I had my doubts about Julie Sutton, but good-on-her for standing up for the logical solution to a big problem.

Is this Kirsch women one of the nearby residents - the Brookvale Action Group or whatever they're called? 

If she is she needs to be called out on her conflict of interest and if she goes on about it long enough it potentially could become a matter for ICAC.

I just added my respone, will be interesting to see if it is published - good stuff Ryan BTW.

I cant believe you actually have talked to this moron (moran)

Posted another message and this time took the gloves off.

I reckon the Manly Daily ought to publish an article about the Silvertails website and their veiws on this issue.  Where is Willstyles?

So it appears Ms Kirsch is a resident nearby to Brookvale Oval and is part of that noisy and irksome coalition of residents seeking to curtail the use of Brookvale Oval fullstop.

This despite the vast majority (if not all) of them purchasing their properties well after the arrival of the Sea Eagles and therefore fullay appraised of the occasional inconveniences that might come from living nearby.

It would therefore seem that when it comes to this discussion and its vote at a Council level, ms Kirsch should be obligated to declare a conflict of interest and step away from the debate and the vote. 

A local Councillor obstructing a development for reasons of personal convenience and gain is, at best, unethical and perhaps even a matter for the Independent Comission Against Corruption (ICAC) to investigate. 

I just went back for seconds as well;

"It looks as though the Brookvale Valley Community group is out in force now.  Noel & Le Brookvale Oval  is not owned by & operated by a private company.  It is a council owned asset that the Sea Eagles pay to use approx 12 times per year.  Any individual, company, sporting or community organisation can also pay for use of the Oval.

Please get your facts right but I guess like Cr Kirsch you will not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The 10k signatures on the petition and the 250k fans who attend Sea Eagles games each season is a hell of lot more than the dog walkers & kite flyers of the Brookvale valley Community group who use the Oval at the no expense on the other 340 days of the year when the Sea Eagles are not playing at home.

Once again thank you WSC for making the right decision for the whole community."

Matabele link said:
Posted another message and this time took the gloves off.

I reckon the Manly Daily ought to publish an article about the Silvertails website and their veiws on this issue.  Where is Willstyles?

No longer work for the Manly Daily big fella.

Well at least you got a start, mine must have been too close to the mark for them to publish

Mine got the chop as well. Why can't this be an open debate? I've written to them about it. They are basically steering the debate where they want it to go. If they want to do that, don't bother with a comments section IMO.

Ryan me & you actually made the paper version of the Manly Daily today

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4