Broncos under salary cap investigation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mark from Brisbane said:
Its sickening, I'm usually into my 2nd beer about then, so I just get up, ignore the sports report and come back just in time for the weather.

Chan Nein is worst so never watch them, Seven's focus is AFL (almost as bad), for news I prefer the ABC at 7pm but even they get on the Donkeys bandwagon!!

Its though there are no other football sides on the planet

By the way @niccipops you coming to the post match function after the Titans game???.....or are you still out west somewhere??

That's why we come to Silvertails. It's planet Manly here.
Not as west as I was but yes really looking forward to going to the Titans match and celebrating a win. Won't be at the after party though as have family commitments. Somebody will have to cuddle the boys for me, and tell them I love them.:heart:

I still question how its taken this long for the Donkeys to come under salary cap investigation.

Just look at their 1993 GF side....how that lot even came close to being under the cap that year or even in the next two or three years is beyond me. Only one of their starting side had not played rep footy at that stage.

FB - Julian O'Neill - Qld Origin
WG - Michael Hancock - Qld Origin/Test
CE - Steve Renouf - Qld Origin/Test
CE - Chris Johns - NSW Origin/Test
WG - Willie Carne - Qld Origin/Test
FE - Kevin Walters - Qld Origin/Test
HB - Allan Langer - Qld Origin/Test
PR - Glenn Lazarus - NSW Origin/Test
HK - Kerrod Walters - Qld Origin/Test
PR - Mark Hohn - Qld Origin
SR - Trevor Gillmeister - Qld Origin
SR - Alan Cann
Lk - Terry Matterson - NSW Origin

Plus their bench included 2 players (Gavin Allen and Andrew Gee) who were Qld Origin players.

That's 14 of their GF side who had played Origin football at that stage, with 8 of them having also played test football. Not to mention that 16 of them had won the 1992 premiership with the club while another two (Lazarus and Kevin Walters) had also won premierships with Canberra.

And they were under the salary cap? So why has it taken this long?

Historically that's a great point @HoldenV8

I remember many a time with mates, over beers or otherwise, wondering how the fark they could be above board (under the cap!)

And this current BS of "self-reporting" shouldn't sway any repercussions; if it's proven to be significant breaches.

It's like this nonsense of an early guilty-plea for a player on report. That's just used to expedite the process and stop clubs questioning the NRL.

It has to be serious though, if any club is going to the NRL saying there might be a problem...

If it wasn't significant they'd shut up and ride their luck.

HoldenV8 said:
I still question how its taken this long for the Donkeys to come under salary cap investigation.

Just look at their 1993 GF side....how that lot even came close to being under the cap that year or even in the next two or three years is beyond me. Only one of their starting side had not played rep footy at that stage.

SR - Alan Cann

Plus their bench included 2 players (Gavin Allen and Andrew Gee) who were Qld Origin players.

That's 14 of their GF side who had played Origin football at that stage, with 8 of them having also played test football. Not to mention that 16 of them had won the 1992 premiership with the club while another two (Lazarus and Kevin Walters) had also won premierships with Canberra.

They
copped unders cause they wanted to play for Wayne!

Every one of them accepting unders to play for Wayne? If they did I wonder how players like Wally Lewis, Willie Carne and Trevor Gillmeister felt when he told them they were no longer wanted even though they were current rep players (he also said that to Michael Hancock but to his credit he fought his way back in). And what about their 1998 premiership side...9 of that side played in the end of season tests against NZ and 14 of them had won the Super League GF the year before that.

My point is that there would have been very few years since 1988 that the Donkeys would have been truly under or at the limit of the salary cap (not including the years of the Super League war where the salary cap was irrelevant). Why has it taken so long for any investigation to happen? And why has it taken a whistle blower from inside the club to make it happen?

Some of the players that club has had, eg. Wally Lewis Allan Langer and Darren Lockyer, had for long periods been regarded as the best players in the world. Surely their individual value would have taken up a good portion of the cap, let alone the rest of the place usually being full of internationals and/or Origin reps at the same time.

Was the current system (the NRL nominating a player's market value in the cap) no matter what a club says they've agreed upon, operating the same way in the '90's ?

If it was, and players were valued accordingly (rep players for State and Country etc.) it is impossible to balance those books.

Yet as far as we know it was all legit...?

Mark from Brisbane said:
Lets face it, Brisbane have been rorting the system for years.

The "Thoroughbreds" are a bunch of mega millionaires and some billionaires, money is no object to them.

Lockyer registered as $250K a year....yeah right, that and about another $750K in paper bags/ under the counter/ 3rd party endorsements.

Its common knowledge up here that they are very frustrated they cant just buy the comp, especially as they did it so easily in the 90's

The Courier (Bronco) Mail is sickening, I cancelled it years ago.

Despite all that I do like living here, the weather is nice, its just anything to do with football is crap!!

Mate a good investigative journalist would have a field day with the early 90's and mid 2000 Broncos teams. Funnily enough though the NRL allows legitimate third party payments to go on, which means the Broncos in those years were playing with a salary cap that was 3 times what everyone else was spending.

At one point there was 10 Broncos in the Australian team!

nodd said:
HoldenV8 said:

SR - Alan Cann

They
copped unders cause they wanted to play for Wayne!
Correction .They copped under the table pay cause they wanted to play for Wayne

HoldenV8 said:

SR - Alan Cann
Ballboy Darius Boyd

tookey said:
HoldenV8 said:

SR - Alan Cann
Ballboy Darius Boyd

Ballboy Darius!

Just noticed that- classic :D

Gee you lot go on. 25 top level players per club means that at the Broncos they have 50 mouths to feed so are deserving of salary cap excesses.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6