Brett Stewart to Dragons, a done deal!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan79 said:
With the desperate dragons fans crying over losing players. You would think there administration would be clambering to break some good news. So who knows. Same goes for our admin I guess.

Biscuits said:
Saints would be doing remarkably well to get both of them under the cap.
I have never understood this comment. Is it so hard to believe that another team in the league could fit Glenn and Brett in the same team? I would imagine manly has a bigger fight with salary cap issues than any other team in the comp.
Most players are established stars, with premiership rings and representative honours.

Our team is built around them,they would have to build their cap around the brothers like we have had for years

I'd be gutted if he went but who could turn that offer down?

I think Brett was hoping we'd come to the party for that figure but it was never realistic for us. He had to stay for less that the Saints offer but it's his last contract so he has to go for it. Let's hope that Glenn is still happy. Brett will be a HUGE loss (if he goes). More than people may realise.

I'll cheer him on and still wish him well but MANLY will always come first.

I'm just relieved if he does go, it's not to those DOGS!!!

The Eagle said:
Dan79 said:
With the desperate dragons fans crying over losing players. You would think there administration would be clambering to break some good news. So who knows. Same goes for our admin I guess.

Biscuits said:
I have never understood this comment. Is it so hard to believe that another team in the league could fit Glenn and Brett in the same team? I would imagine manly has a bigger fight with salary cap issues than any other team in the comp.
Most players are established stars, with premiership rings and representative honours.

Our team is built around them,they would have to build their cap around the brothers like we have had for years

I guess they would have to stack there team with cheapies like we have. For example Watmough, Williams (x2) Lyon, Matai kite and king.

Dan79 said:

Biscuits said:

whats so hard to understand. We were able to fit both in because we had them cheap at the start, their earning capacity has increased gradually to the point that we now cant afford both. Ifind it hard to beleive that they would leave Manly for anything less than a 20% increase on what we can pay. So we cant afford both of them but another club can at a price of probably 150k total, over and above. Its not impossible but i think it would be more likely to happen at a club that hasnt had much recent success, therefore dont have an increasing wage bill. Saints have been one of the best performed teams over the last 3 seasons and they would have had to upgrade players along the way also.

voicefromthehill said:
Joey said:
No doubt a sad day indeed, all tears aside I do truly wish him all the best and hopefully his last game for Manly will be the GF because he will never get another shot of holding up that trophy @ the dragqueens.

I get the feeling this is about the $$$, I dont blame him he has lost a bucket load (potential earnings or otherwise) due to the court case and media coverage. I reckon most players would be stoked to have played in 3 GFs and 2 winning sides (3 by years end). So if true I wish the prince of brookvale all the best. The era of the 1 club player is dying fast

Volley said:
All this talk of signing Gordon. You do realise the reason Stewart may be going is because we don't have enough $$$ under the cap to re-sign everyone? Why would you then attempt to sign another classy fullback?
^ This

The money he lost I couldn't give a stuff about that what about the sponsors ( potentially) we lost when we stood by him and you call this loyalty? should have cut him at the time. I think he is over rated anyway I still put Wombat head and shoulders above Snake as a Fullback

Surely the brothers won't play against each other so if brett has signed what is the bet that glen will ask for a release from his contract.

Kite to ESL at the end of the year and eniough monye to re-sign DCE and Foran

tookey said:
Surely the brothers won't play against each other so if brett has signed what is the bet that glen will ask for a release from his contract.

Kite to ESL at the end of the year and eniough monye to re-sign DCE and Foran

I like the way you're thinking but if when these players leave I doubt the others will want to stay, methinks a big rebuild next year but with salary cap room

Rebuild with what? Most of the half decent NRL players are all signed up for 2013.

All I'm seeing is Manly players walking out the door.

Biscuits said:
Dan79 said:

Biscuits said:

whats so hard to understand. We were able to fit both in because we had them cheap at the start, their earning capacity has increased gradually to the point that we now cant afford both. Ifind it hard to beleive that they would leave Manly for anything less than a 20% increase on what we can pay. So we cant afford both of them but another club can at a price of probably 150k total, over and above. Its not impossible but i think it would be more likely to happen at a club that hasnt had much recent success, therefore dont have an increasing wage bill. Saints have been one of the best performed teams over the last 3 seasons and they would have had to upgrade players along the way also.

It is plain wishful thinking to say others couldnt afford them like we can. True there value increased over time, that is not the arguement. the argument is that at there current value, is Manly in a better position to sign them? The answer is no. Half the clubs would give there left nut to make it a possible to sign these players. Look at clubs like Souths, they make big signings every year. If a club wants to pay overs for a player, they make it happen. It is reasonably obvious why Manly is not in a good position to retain them. Have you seen the line up??? No team in the comp has that much talent, and you have to remember DCE and Foz are currently cheap as chips.
The things in Manlys favour is club familiarity, culture, and it is the Nothern Beaches. Sometimes these things can bought.
Lets hope these factors are enough to retain them.

This a very bitter sweet moment if it is true. (more bitter than sweet)

I do not want to see such a class player (and potentially his brother) leave the club.

At the same time it will hopefully allow us (assuming the club uses there heads) to tie up our halves combination.

So who is going to play fullback? oldfield?

The reason George Rose is playing NSW cup is to get practice in the Halfback position as he will take over if DCE does go.

The club also has earmarked Trex to play 5/8 hence why he was playing there in the Qld cup, even winning the comp there

The Dragons with not one but two speedy players in their side (Jamie Soward and Brett Stewart). Manly know's how fast Jamie Soward is especially Brett Stewart. What's Manly gonna do for speedy players when they come up against the Dragons who'll have twice as much speed in their side? And Brett's pretty good with try saving tackles also.

stewartbrett(female supporter) said:
What's Manly gonna do for speedy players when they come up against the Dragons who'll have twice as much speed in their side?
Sign Usain Bolt.

Wolfie and Oldie are pretty fast. Isn't one of junior fullbacks also a sprinter and trying out for the olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7