Brett Stewart the Prince of Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
His rep career might have been better if the NSW selectors didn’t keep picking Kurt Gidley ahead of him.

And I remember one year when he did get picked Bellamy left him on the bench for almost the whole game.

No wonder Qld won 8 series in a row.

Both Brett Stewart and Billy Slater were great players, no doubt about that and anyone who says different has zero idea about rugby league. I do think Brett was the better overall player, but Slater's superior record with both Melbourne and in rep footy with Qld and Australia will always have the "experts" putting Slater above Snake.

However ... if Turbo can manage to keep anywhere near his 2021 form for the rest of his career, and stay relatively injury free ... I think he'll end up surpassing both.

How blessed have Manly been over the years to have fullbacks the quality of Wombat, Rowdy, Ridgey, Snake and Turbo at the club?
i was listening to talking bulldogs a while back and i can remember someone bagging slater because of his grubby tactics & i think it was hughes who said 'only great players force the administration to change the rules & billy did that(in reference of kicking the ball dead to prevent his kick returns-funny i thought that was more about inglis & hayne). the caller went silent(idiot) i was screaming at the radio 'yeah they sure did change the rules because of him. no more studs first at people attempting to score a try & no more studs up at kick chasers when catching the ball'. im sure there were others but they are the two i never forgot.
slater great player & piece of s#!t at the same time

i was listening to talking bulldogs a while back and i can remember someone bagging slater because of his grubby tactics & i think it was hughes who said 'only great players force the administration to change the rules & billy did that(in reference of kicking the ball dead to prevent his kick returns-funny i thought that was more about inglis & hayne). the caller went silent(idiot) i was screaming at the radio 'yeah they sure did change the rules because of him. no more studs first at people attempting to score a try & no more studs up at kick chasers when catching the ball'. im sure there were others but they are the two i never forgot.
slater great player & piece of s#!t at the same time

The practice had gone on for years, since 1908 actually. Matthew Ridge used to save tries by kicking the ball out of players hands before they got it down. But it was Slater's actions in the 2008 GF that brought it to a head because it was so blatant and because they finally saw the potential the actions had for injury (seriously, for his first try I was surprised Slater didn't break Robbo's arm with his boot hitting square in his left forearm).

It's now often called the Billy Slater rule when referring to players not being allowed to kick the ball or lead feet first when trying to save a try.

Just on that filthy Melbourne play to take out Snake in the 07 GF, by today's standards both those players would be sent off. Storm have been playing dirty and cheating since day one.
When Crocker did this to Brett, probably under orders from Bellyache, I think this was the start of my hatred of Melb. Didn't have to wait to long to get redemption though....08..40 nil !!

Speaking of the Prince, on the weekend I heard a commentator (can't remember who) refer to Turbo as the Prince of Brookvale. I was somewhat surprised by this as I thought there's only ever been, and there will only ever be, one Prince of Brookvale and that's Brett Stewart.

Speaking of the Prince, on the weekend I heard a commentator (can't remember who) refer to Turbo as the Prince of Brookvale. I was somewhat surprised by this as I thought there's only ever been, and there will only ever be, one Prince of Brookvale and that's Brett Stewart.
Too true, ALinda. What a player to watch in full flight.

At his peak, was the number one player in the game, and alongside Billy Slater, changed the way the game is now played.

Just on that filthy Melbourne play to take out Snake in the 07 GF, by today's standards both those players would be sent off. Storm have been playing dirty and cheating since day one.
true, but if you watch games from prior to the early 2000's there wouldn't be anyone left on the field to play by todays standards

true, but if you watch games from prior to the early 2000's there wouldn't be anyone left on the field to play by todays standards
Absolutely. But Melbourne we’re just extra bastards. Send them all off and eradicate them from the competition..
Been a blight on the comp ver since they entered.
Fk ‘en!

Absolutely. But Melbourne we’re just extra bastards. Send them all off and eradicate them from the competition..
Been a blight on the comp ver since they entered.
Fk ‘en!
Fired up Nicci, I like it....now get stuck into the Bunnies, then we'll sort the scum out

Further to @Pittwater Legend 's comments above, His positional play, support, ability to turn half chances into tries (163 of them), his spectacular speed and defence.
He drew the crowds at Brooky, as if he was Bozo.
He was controversial, inspiring, generous, skillful and his teammates knew what they had. He had a footy brain. He could not physically dominate the defence he had to do it with speed and timing. His passes were like presents.
Right up there in top echelon of MWSE all time greats. Comparisons are odious but I point out that unlike Bozo, Snake was a ONE CLUB PLAYER.
Yes the Turbo bros are our current dynasty, and we watch to see if they can hopefully win 2 premierships for Manly.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8