Brett Kenny

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great thread mate, with all the negatives over the past week, it’s a real positive and bought back memories of the good old days where the players played for love of the game with more passion and pride....let me add your namesake Kevin Ward...my favourite all time front rower.
Absolute bulldozer who lifted Manly and never came 2nd in the battle up front....along with Ron Gibbs as a favourite through that period
I recall being gutted when GC signed Rambo and tried to hate him, but went to a game at Brookie soon after and watched Gibbs belt the St George forwards till he knocked himself out, could not be dragged from the field....went on to make a 25 metre run on zero energy, crawling the last 10 metres to fight for the Manly emblem.
I thought “mate you won me back, what a Champion “- most players stop turning up after signing elsewhere - Gibbs lifted the bar!!
As for Ward, took on the best tough packs ever boasting Lazarus, Backo, Davidson, Roach....and come out on top all day - Legend!!

D9DEEFCF-DF76-402C-9D98-EE2E9F304B0D.jpeg
Although he was from doesn't-matta, one thing I always liked about Brett Kenny was that unlike a few of his team mates, he wasn't an arrogant prick about their success (unlike that glory hound thug who Ray Warren liked to call "Mr Perpetual Motion"....). He enjoyed the success obviously, but he never let it go to his head.

And he was a clean player who played it fair. You wouldn't see any head highs from him or other dirty stuff that goes on. He just played the game to the best of his ability. And boy did he have ability.

Oh, and he was a fan of The Undertaker so he couldn't be all bad ;)

Hate to admit it myself, but loved watching Brett Kenny. There were some really good players to admire from that team. Not that much though as they still were the Eels lol

Great thread mate, with all the negatives over the past week, it’s a real positive and bought back memories of the good old days where the players played for love of the game with more passion and pride....let me add your namesake Kevin Ward...my favourite all time front rower.
Absolute bulldozer who lifted Manly and never came 2nd in the battle up front....along with Ron Gibbs as a favourite through that period
I recall being gutted when GC signed Rambo and tried to hate him, but went to a game at Brookie soon after and watched Gibbs belt the St George forwards till he knocked himself out, could not be dragged from the field....went on to make a 25 metre run on zero energy, crawling the last 10 metres to fight for the Manly emblem.
I thought “mate you won me back, what a Champion “- most players stop turning up after signing elsewhere - Gibbs lifted the bar!!
As for Ward, took on the best tough packs ever boasting Lazarus, Backo, Davidson, Roach....and come out on top all day - Legend!!
Rambo was awesome. About ten years ago I was working all through the nsw outback, qld outback, up the Birdsville track and then down to Broken Hill. Anyway, I rocked up to a pub in Dubbo, and Lo and behold there’s Rambo pulling schooners behind the bar. He was still a very impossing guy, very forthcoming and happy to talk. He said his biggest regret in football was leaving Manly, and that as far as the game went, he first and foremost considered himself a Manly man. He has a lot of respect with the locals in Dubbo, really great bloke.

Yes Brett Kenny stood out for me in those Para sides - didn't like too many from Para in those days other than him ( especially Price - still angry about him punching the wombat in the '78 Semi reply and his swivelling and raking in the play the ball ) - maybe Jethro Gerrard but probably cause he came to Manly.

I had a soft spot for 'Lord Ted' Goodwin as well

apart from that - ALL Manly and no one else

ive been watching the best of the best of the eighties, and as much as I hate Parramatta, boy Brett Kenny was some player. And he did it in all the biggest games. Talk about a big game player. I know this will probably get shot down on here, but IMO Kenny absolutely smokes Darren Lockyer every day of the week. I often wonder why Bert’s achievements have never really been celebrated, because he really did it all. Maybe he said the wrong thing about the wrong person at the wrong time.
Wally lewis mate . He was the reason he didnt get all the accolades, and personally i preferred Bert over Lewis anyday.

Was watching the '81 GF on Fox last night.
Interesting stat re Cronin - we all look back that he was a gun goalkicker - in the '81 season he was kicking at something
like 66% and they won the comp!
Regarded as average these days.
He was a good kicker ... held the records for most consecutive goals etc ... pot them from anywhere with his toe-poking ..

Was a common belief at the time that he couldn't kick for **** in Grandfinals ..

Was watching the '81 GF on Fox last night.
Interesting stat re Cronin - we all look back that he was a gun goalkicker - in the '81 season he was kicking at something
like 66% and they won the comp!
Regarded as average these days.
They had a lot of points in them so probably wasn't as important, for the eels anyway . Apart from the 4/2 victory.

Probably one of the best accolades for Bert was when he was selected ahead of Wally Lewis on the 86 kangaroo tour as a test 5 / 8. Also probably one of the main reasons that N S W finished on top of Q L D in some origin games in the Eighties . Pretty sure that Manly did make some overtures to him early in his Eels career . Would have been a great acquisition but i also think good that he became a one club player . Humble , great all round player and would have to be one of the most naturally gifted players of his era

Remember too that Brett has been battling lymphoma recently. I hope he is doing okay at present, however I have not heard any recent updates.
Hi mate,
Brett lives near me on the nsw central coast & I saw him in fine shape a week or two ago at the local supermarket & again a few days later at a cafe.
He’s still going through treatment I believe but looks to be doing ok for now. Fingers crossed for him.
He’s a top fella & was one of my fave players growing up despite me being a Manly fan.
I would urge anyone who sees him to say hi as he is always happy to chat & has time for everyone.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6