Brett Finch enters mental health facility

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some pretty poor comments in here. Wow. Mental health is a massive issue and regardless of the trigger, those suffering should not be denigrated.

True. However...at the moment, there is a little bit of a tendency to throw the mental health card into the mix whenever you’ve done something not quite right. Finch clearly has a problem, and he needs to get the appropriate help for his own sake and his family’s. But not everything is about self-medicating underlying MH issues; sometimes it’s about spending your entire adult life being the incorrigible party boy, and getting yourself into a big, big hole as a result. See also: Inglis, Pearce, and a multitude of others who are suddenly ‘fighting demons’ when they get caught out behaving appallingly.

(Incidentally, I spent the early hours of this morning doing a fair bit of reading and writing for a uni task that covered over-diagnosis of major depressive disorders, among other things. Night shift entertainment!)

True. However...at the moment, there is a little bit of a tendency to throw the mental health card into the mix whenever you’ve done something not quite right. Finch clearly has a problem, and he needs to get the appropriate help for his own sake and his family’s. But not everything is about self-medicating underlying MH issues; sometimes it’s about spending your entire adult life being the incorrigible party boy, and getting yourself into a big, big hole as a result. See also: Inglis, Pearce, and a multitude of others who are suddenly ‘fighting demons’ when they get caught out behaving appallingly.

(Incidentally, I spent the early hours of this morning doing a fair bit of reading and writing for a uni task that covered over-diagnosis of major depressive disorders, among other things. Night shift entertainment!)

I am not aware of any incident with Finch and using mental health as an excuse. It is clear there has long been issues which he has been seeking treatment for previously.

I understand your point though that using it as an excuse to cover reckless behaviour for people in the spotlight is becoming prevalent, however i do not believe this holds true with Finch.

I also would agree that it is beoming the new ADD in teenagers where the slightest feelings of being down are diagnosed as MH issues, which i believe diverts resources away from those that truly need it.

The Tele today reports that Finch .... rather than being in rehab (or a very short visit) .... was at the Cox plate yesterday "enjoying a beer and a bet. and posing for selfies with fans" .....

The report goes on to say that despite his issues ... Finch will not necessarily lose his job at Fox Sports because the bosses .. (wait for it ..) .. would rather help him than sack him. His future is not certain (but) ... they have his long term welfare in mind .....

PSS .... I Can only think these same bosses didn't watch that podcast or read the social media reports it generated ....

I am not aware of any incident with Finch and using mental health as an excuse. It is clear there has long been issues which he has been seeking treatment for previously.

I understand your point though that using it as an excuse to cover reckless behaviour for people in the spotlight is becoming prevalent, however i do not believe this holds true with Finch.

I also would agree that it is beoming the new ADD in teenagers where the slightest feelings of being down are diagnosed as MH issues, which i believe diverts resources away from those that truly need it.

I think because the initial reports had him being checked into a mental health facility

The Tele today reports that Finch .... rather than being in rehab (or a very short visit) .... was at the Cox plate yesterday "enjoying a beer and a bet. and posing for selfies with fans" .....

The report goes on to say that despite his issues ... Finch will not necessarily lose his job at Fox Sports because the bosses .. (wait for it ..) .. would rather help him than sack him. His future is not certain (but) ... they have his long term welfare in mind .....

PSS .... I Can only think these same bosses didn't watch that podcast or read the social media reports it generated ....

So he stayed about as long as barba stayed in his rehab - we all know how well that worked out

I think Brett Finch’s own repeated use of the phrase ‘chasing highs’ gives a pretty good indicator of what the basis of his issues might be...I’d suggest ‘mental health facility’ in this case is a euphemism for ‘substance abuse treatment facility’.

You’re not wrong about the tendency to diagnose people with a mental health condition for ‘symptoms’ that are basically normal human reactions to grief or trauma. Not just in teenagers, either - I saw an absolutely awful example of it a few weeks ago, a GP scheduled a patient (so, to be taken to a MH facility against her will, with police intervention, chemical sedation, and/or physical restraints if necessary) because she had expressed suicidal ideations. The poor woman had been given a terminal diagnosis THAT DAY, by the same GP! The very last thing she needed was to be dragged off to a MH facility; maybe bit of human compassion and understanding of why someone who’s just been told they’ve got months to live might give some thought to topping themselves?

Last edited:
In light of his colleague’s resent illness I’d like to congratulate Freddy on his commentary contributions during the test match between Australia and New Zealand. Clear, coherent, well reasoned and expressed, and not at all completely off his face.

At the very least change the title to something that doesn’t suggest you’re making fun of him.

Really poor form and you have to question why have a thread about it at all.
Mate it was obvious to everyone he was off his tree. He's a public figure it was always going to draw public attention, comment & condemnation.

Hope he sorts himself out but as has been pointed out here the duty of care should be with his employers.

I have no problem with this thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4