Brett Finch enters mental health facility

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
While normally i wouldn't go down this road and post this my dislike for the grub has clouded my judgment.

That being said I do hope the bloke cleans himself up and sorts his deamons out. Just dont let him anywhere near a commentary position please...
Former State of Origin star and Fox League personality Brett Finch enters mental health facility
Former State of Origin star turned media personality Brett Finch has entered a mental health facility after a distressing incident on a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast.
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
October 24, 2019 8:00pm
Close

Papalii remains in doubt

similars

Former NRL star turned media identity Brett Finch has entered a mental health facility after suffering a medical incident this week.
Concerns were raised after Finch was spotted asleep with a blood nose on a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast on Sunday.
A passenger told us Finch “looked like he couldn’t bring himself to get off the plane. White as a ghost, couldn’t control his runny nose and (appeared) paranoid.
“He wasn’t abusive. He just didn’t want to get off the plane, like he was scared about something.
Stream the 2019 Oceania Cup Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
Finch had a medial incident on a flight last week.
Finch had a medial incident on a flight last week.
“The captain came out… they had to call fireys and ambulance to get him off.”
Another source said that the sight of Finch struggling with his breathing was “pretty confronting’’ and “sad”.
Several sources confirmed the former State of Origin star checked into a facility to start work on his health.
Concerns were initially raised by viewers about Finch after he appeared highly agitated on the Matty Johns podcast last month.

Finch told people close to him he was suffering from anxiety at the time.
Finch, 38, began working for Fox Sports in 2017 and married wife Elli last year.
They welcomed their first child, Mackenzie Grace, in May.
236 people are talking about this

Finch has previously talked about how he hit “rock bottom’’ after his retirement from rugby league in 2013.
The former Roosters, Raiders, Eels and Storm halfback said he isolated himself for six months as he dealt with crippling mental demons and the loss of his sporting identity.
Finch has spoken about his struggles since retirement. Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images.
Finch has spoken about his struggles since retirement. Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images.
“It took a few years, it took three trips to rehab facilities,” Finch told The Matty Johns Podcast. “I learned a lot about myself and the things that I’m dealing with. I had to realise I’m not going to get the highs I had in footy and for so long I was chasing that.”
Finch played in two grand finals for the Roosters but his biggest moment came in the first game of the 2006 Origin series when he kicked the winning field goal after being called into the squad on the eve of the match.
“One day I was a football player, the next day no one cares. It’s over,” Finch said of his rugby league highs. “I struggled to get any satisfaction in life.
“You train to extreme levels, you’re super fit and super strong. I thought I was a mentally tough bloke. I was trying to get some highs in my life.
“Someone I was seeing professionally told me to go down to Bondi Beach and watch the sunrise. So I did that and I thought, ‘Is this is it? Who gives a ****. This is nothing like playing a grand final.”

One line there is very telling.
“he couldn’t control his runny nose”

that leads to one thing.

Finally. You didnt need a degree in psychology to know what was up. If we all noticed it, then I’m sure those close to him would’ve shared their concerns. But it’s that old saying, you can lead a horse to water etc. Unfortunately he’s had to hit rock bottom publicly, and with a young family in tow, I wish him all the best in his recovery.

He's got a young family so hopefully he can battle through this. Yes he's behaved like a dickhead on TV but M Johns was probably trying to do him a favour by getting him the gig. And it's well known that substance abuse often goes hand in hand with underlying mental health issues so I'm not judgmental about that part. Anyway an awful lot of people fall over by misusing drugs, whether legal or illegal. Good luck to him and his family.

Well shame on his employers and close friends, it’s been blatantly obvious to plenty of viewers that he’s been off his face regularly on screen, his bosses and colleagues must have know and in not stepping in have basically condoned and supported his drug issue
Absolutely.
Something should have been done back when everyone who was watching him could see it...

He's got a young family so hopefully he can battle through this. Yes he's behaved like a dickhead on TV but M Johns was probably trying to do him a favour by getting him the gig. And it's well known that substance abuse often goes hand in hand with underlying mental health issues so I'm not judgmental about that part. Anyway an awful lot of people fall over by misusing drugs, whether legal or illegal. Good luck to him and his family.
I agree mate. I hope he gets the help he needs. Believe anxiety and depression aint fun, its very painful and I can tell you that from experience. Its ok to say you are not ok

Well shame on his employers and close friends, it’s been blatantly obvious to plenty of viewers that he’s been off his face regularly on screen, his bosses and colleagues must have know and in not stepping in have basically condoned and supported his drug issue
We all noted it months ago yet Fox kept featuring his manic appearances :confused:

Living in the spotlight would just compound his stress levels :wondering:

Bloody mental demons again, they're the worst kind......
"Finch has previously talked about how he hit “rock bottom’’ after his retirement from rugby league in 2013.

The former Roosters, Raiders, Eels and Storm halfback said he isolated himself for six months as he dealt with crippling mental demons and the loss of his sporting identity."

Self medicating depression with drugs and/or alcohol is a well trodden path for a lot of sufferers Both Male and Female.
Finch is a ratbag but I decent person from what I'm told and has been battling this for a very long time, hope he gets through it because many don't.

If it was one of us it would just be the old druggo story and we'd be looked down on etc. But as always it's okay for "celebrities" to take drugs and basically just run free rein. You make the choice, you deal with the outcome! fmd play football for a living, retire and get a sweet commentary gig and get paid! But still can't deal with the "real world" the rest of us dirt dwellers live in!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6