Brent Naden

So taking cocaine has performance enhancing properties but if you say it is for recreation purposes you get off with a one month ban from the day you are tested.
So the team can get on the gear the day before the gf then take the one month ban whilst they are on their end of season break. Sounds about right.

So taking cocaine has performance enhancing properties but if you say it is for recreation purposes you get off with a one month ban from the day you are tested.
So the team can get on the gear the day before the gf then take the one month ban whilst they are on their end of season break. Sounds about right.
Gould is angling for that, but it won’t wash

Naden on the coke after or before the grand final isn't flash. I still think it falls into insignificance compared to Jimmy the Jets decade long problem. Which one is more likely to turn their life around?

But our club would certainly have to do their due diligence. You have to be concerned if a players happy to hit the snow, but even more so if hitting it prior to a match. Then add it's not just any match here.

Imo, neither of them. I think they will both have issues well after football.
Manly need to stay clear of both of them.

Interesting item in today's Telecrap. Apart from the fact that it seems Cleary and the Panthers knew Naden was affected prior to the match and still chose to play him in the 17, the NRL didn't carry out traditional drug testing after the grand finals of 2018 and 2019....
and we all know which club won in those years.

So his penalty has been handed down and cops a 1 month ban backdated to December 1 which means he can resume training with his team mates on Friday.

Not that I'm going into bat for him but Ben Barba copped something like 12 games for the same offence, didnt he?

What punishment does Cleary, and the 'Riff get for playing Naden knowing he was under the influence of drugs?
Was this investigated?

The NRL released a statement saying the penalty is in line with new provisions of the incoming World Anti-Doping Code 2021, which has slashed penalties for cocaine use provided the athlete can establish it was used out of competition and was unrelated to sport performance.

“Having established that the ingestion of the cocaine was out-of-competition and not for performance enhancing purposes, Naden is sanctioned in accordance with new provisions of the incoming World Anti-Doping Code 2021 which permit a one-month period of ineligibility for qualifying athletes who also undertake an approved rehabilitation program,” the NRL said.

I'm confused. I thought he took the coke prior to the grand final, which is why Clear dropped him from the starting side. Now it appears the NRL has swallowed the fib that he only took cocaine once the GF was over. Year, sure! His habit only started out of competition.
So, why did Cleary drop him? It was certainly not because of form.

What punishment does Cleary, and the 'Riff get for playing Naden knowing he was under the influence of drugs?
Was this investigated?
Of course not they are the darlings of the west along with the Squeels.

They most probably had a quick look and decided that it wasn’t performance enhancing as the Riff still lost even after he took the field.

So as long as a N R L registered player is not charged or given an offence notice by law enforcement agencies for recreational drugs , they will not be subject to any sanctions by the N R L . But then it could have boosted his playing performance level if still in in his system . at any set game he has played . Not sure if there has been some clear League jurisdiction guidelines or policy in this instance as things now seem .

Is it actually a criminal offence to have cocaine detected in your system though?

Possession of cocaine is certainly a criminal act but unless you're driving a car & are stopped & drug tested, I dont think charges can be laid for it being in your system (unless it's a condition of parole perhaps?)

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2