Brent Kite - My world crashed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
My world crashed
sportRugby League25 Feb 09 @ 04:01pm by JOHN GRECO
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/my-world-crashed/

BRENT Kite is only just starting to get back on his feet.

It’s been just three months since the sudden death of his father Rob.

It was a moment that shattered Kite’s world, and it came just 24 hours after Australia’s World Cup final defeat to New Zealand.

The tough prop, who just over a month earlier had inspired Manly to the premiership with a man-of-the-match performance, was devastated.

Speaking for the first time since his tragic loss, it’s easy to see the 27-year-old, a devoted family man, is still coming to terms with all that’s happened.

“It’s been a pretty heavy time,” Kite, who will play his first match of the year for the Sunshine Coast Eagles this weekend, said on Wednesday.

“Especially during that first week or so after. It was all very sudden, dad was only 60. There’s been a lot of adjusting to be done.

“Dad was very big for me, especially sporting wise.

“He was always getting us kids along to footy, athletics, boxing, whatever we turned our hand too.

“He was always very supportive. It’s tough but I’m going all right now.”

Kite only returned to Sydney late last year after spending much of his off-season at the family home in Queanbeyan, supporting his mum Mele.

It’s a major reason why he made the tough decision to remain in Australia while his teammates attempted to become the first Australian side in six years to win the World Club Challenge against Leeds on Monday.

“I was a bit worried that the boys might feel I wasn’t placing it very high on my priorities,” Kite said.

“It’s just that the priorities with family are pretty high also.

“They’re all very understanding.

“Dessy (Hasler) put a big emphasis on the importance of this game, it’s not just a trial.

“I just didn’t feel right taking off again for three weeks when I’d been away from my wife and kids for so long.”

Manly skipper Matt Orford said his team would miss Kite’s presence against the Rhinos.

“He was a major part of what we did last year,” the Sea Eagles skipper said.

“But there’s some young guys here who might get a chance.”

Hasler will name his team for the WCC clash on Friday..

My player of the year and he also won me $200 as Clive Churchill medalist. For that alone he deserves a statue. And Ox is right - he would make a huge difference if he was playing.

Atleast we are not relying on him so heavily anymore, Perry and Rose.

Kite is a champ and should be the first pick for NSW SOO.

He is a champion and I am glad the club has been prepared to give him exemption, though I would dearly have loved him to play. His tackle in the semi-final on McKinnon in the Warriors game was such great moment and I nearly went into orbit when he scored that try in the Grand Final.

Great bloke, deserves any break he needs.

I can certainly assure you that my family always take priority over my job, and that should be no different for footy players.

Bloody sad news

Have a lot of time for him on and off the park. Met him a couple of years back and he was a tremendous bloke, really made you feel at ease

I talked about the GF with him on the Cleal night.  Very humble and approachable.  I too backed him for the CC medal.  Didn't pay to well at the TAB for a forward.

Canteen Worker link said:
I nearly went into orbit when he scored that try in the Grand Final.

Agree CW, it was like a big F U to Bellamy and every NSW selector. If i remember correctly i celebrated that try only second to Beavers.  Great Moment!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6