BREAKING NEWS : Toovey Appointed for 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Congratulations to the board for making a great decision. Toovey is the man. He will benefit from being with Des for one more year. I also think he will have a more hands on role as well which will keep him in good stead for the following year. Foran was quoted as saying the players would love des to stay next year so they can go back to back .That will be a great challange and des and this team has proven to thrive on challanges. I just hope to God that the board has moved on from what happened in the past and works in harmony so the players and Crusher can feel a sense of stability in the place and stay with Toovey.

Before we get ahead of things and I'm not trying to put a damper on the situation, but Tooves still has prove he's a good coach. Time will tell whether he's successful or not but let's not assume he'll be a success just because he's a Manly legend.

I'm very excited to have Tooves, cliffy and co onboard and I hope all the **** is sorted out at board level sooner rather than later. One thing Tooves' appointment has done is lift the spirits of the faithful.

After a week or turmoil, the announcement re.Tooves, the players responses and other good news stories has shown us that as Arko stated that "we are a resilient club", we been down before and can handle this.

It's great to see the club move so swifty to stabilise the situation. Now that we are all feeling warm and fuzzy inside we can actually enjoy our premiership win, after the hollow feeling of Dessie's departure.

This is why I love this club and being a Manly supporter, we are hated by most but that's because we are the club everyone wants to emulate. When our backs are against the wall we don't throw the towel in, we come out swinging.

For me it is absolutely the only and right decision. Congatulations Tooves. This is the ideal opportunity and position for you and I cannot see you letting us down. And in this instance well done to the Board for acting quickly and decisively.

swoop said:
Before we get ahead of things and I'm not trying to put a damper on the situation, but Tooves still has prove he's a good coach. Time will tell whether he's successful or not but let's not assume he'll be a success just because he's a Manly legend.

I'm very excited to have Tooves, cliffy and co onboard and I hope all the s**t is sorted out at board level sooner rather than later. One thing Tooves' appointment has done is lift the spirits of the faithful.

After a week or turmoil, the announcement re.Tooves, the players responses and other good news stories has shown us that as Arko stated that "we are a resilient club", we been down before and can handle this.

It's great to see the club move so swifty to stabilise the situation. Now that we are all feeling warm and fuzzy inside we can actually enjoy our premiership win, after the hollow feeling of Dessie's departure.

This is why I love this club and being a Manly supporter, we are hated by most but that's because we are the club everyone wants to emulate. When our backs are against the wall we don't throw the towel in, we come out swinging.
I am very confident Toovey will be a great coach as he has been Haslers desciple since 2004 . He was also coached by the great immortal Fulton and state of origin most successful coach in Phil Gould. Toovey as captain always led by example and lifted his team and he will lift his team as a coach as well.

bones said:
seaeagles4life said:
Imagine Beaver running the water as trainer! I think I would just about cheer everytime he takes the field, do you think he would put his headgear on? haha

We would HAVE to bring Grant Goldman back if that happens.

Now that Zorba's gone, maybe we can since he was the one who got Grant Goldman punted.

1) Is it the right decision for the stability of the club---- YES the only decision under the circumstances.

2) Do i think Tooves will be a successful coach----i think the effort and will to succeed will be Tooves strong points. My uninformed gut feeling(no idea what his technical knowledge of the game is like) is i think tactically and offering new idea's will be lacking--- he does not come across as a ground breaker.

3) Is it necessary to have tactical nous and understand the finer points of the game to be a success----sometimes man management and having the players respect can compensate for a lack of technical knowledge. You can know all there is to know about the game but if you lack good communication skills, poor man management and motivational skills and do not have a strong repoire with the squad your knowledge will fall on deaf ears.

So it was the right decision---the only decision that could be made but i think the older playing group will grow stale under his leadership in time.
Cliffy should at best be a skills coach in relation to running good lines and teaching the art of ball playing but nothing more----Menzies is more a composed leader of a board not assistant coach of any form---it's all sounding amateurish and enjoying bringing back the past at the moment.

I've always respected Ricky Stuarts knowledge of the game but now is not the right time to bring him in----i also think offering Tooves a 3yr contract is a little too long but i fully understand they had to show confidence in their decision and it also offers stability so i understand the boards reasoning.

Let the Mould Begin...

Des.... there are 5 main words your smart and genius mind should be focussed on right now... and they are "Back to Back" and "Mould Him" and obviously by him I mean Tooves.

I can forsee next year you and Tooves sitting in the box together and him seeing and taking on board everything you have to offer within the box. Pressure situations. Important interchanges. Important messages that need to go out. Halftime speeches. Motivation Speeches. Discipline Speeches. Sprays that put Terry Hill to shame. The proper way to break a door from its hinges... Dessie please GET YOUR MOULD ON. Do it.

That is all.

RE: Let the Mould Begin...

The moulding has already been done ,Tooves wasn't just our water boy !!
He started his apprenticeship not long after Dessie started his. He is primed for the job.This will be an unbelievably seamless changeover..

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/geoff-toovey-appointed-manly-sea-eagles-coach-des-hasler-to-stay-on-for-2012/story-e6frexnr-1226163341783

AFTER a tumultuous week, Manly have steadied their haemorrhaging club by appointing club legend Geoff Toovey as head coach for 2013 and 2014.

Geoff Toovey has agreed in principle to coach the Manly Sea Eagles for two years following a Manly board meeting at chairman Scott Penn's North Sydney offices.

The appointment of Toovey from 2013 ends speculation the club would sack incumbent Des Hasler for next season.

Dean Ritchie's blog: Manly will go back-to-back

Under Hasler's guidance, Toovey will take on an increased role in coaching the side next season.
Board members spoke with Hasler about Toovey's appointment before announcing the news at 8pm.

Manly's board was desperate for some positive news after their fumbling and failed effort to retain Hasler, who signed with Canterbury Bulldogs.

"It's exciting but I am also a bit nervous," Toovey told The Daily Telegraph last night."I have spoken to Des about the transition season in 2012. I will still be assistant coach but will have more interest in a few areas. It was something Des had planned - me being in the succession plan. It's just come a little bit earlier than I thought.

"I will get things moving through the year. I just hope I can live up to the great past coaches at Manly and I am sure they will be around to offer me a helping hand."

Toovey played 238 games for Manly and 48 matches for the Northern Eagles. He also played 16 Origin games for NSW and 13 Test matches.

Each Manly coach to win a premiership - Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton and Hasler - have played for the Sea Eagles. Toovey continues the tradition.

"Geoff will have an increased role in 2012 before taking over for the following two years," Penn said. "He was always part of our succession plan and we spoke to Des tonight about this.

"Geoff has done a terrific job as assistant coach for the past five years, helping us to win two premierships. He is Manly boy at heart and that is also crucial. It is important we continue that tradition. We had good dialogue with the players, coaching staff and board and everything was really positive around Geoff.

"It's important Des stay on during Geoff's transition period. Des said tonight he would do everything he could to help Geoff in this period."

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Sea Eagles stars Glenn Stewart and Jason King fronted Penn and rookie chief operating officer David Perry at the club's headquarters yesterday to settle the club's coaching future.

Speaking on behalf of the entire Manly premiership-winning squad, King and Stewart told Penn and Perry that Hasler must remain through 2012 - despite leaving for Canterbury the following year.

In a day of drama at Brookvale, it emerged that:

* FORMER owner Max Delmege has been dumped from the leagues club board for attending just two meetings in the calendar year.

* PENN addressed Manly staff about the coaching drama.

Leagues club and football chairman Bob Reilly is known to have pushed for a coaching team of Toovey, Steve Menzies and Cliff Lyons.

Asked about his 9am meeting with staff, Penn said: "I just wanted to re-assure them and it is important we keep communication open."

IT was the only and obvious decision to make, the guy coached the current crop of talent when he had the 20's. Remember when they offered him the CEO's role and despite his obvious skill as an accountant decided to stick with the playing side of the game and has been rewarded for his role as assistant with the top job. Choc endorsed him and said he already runs the forwards and can anyone tell me if we don't have the best pack of forwards running around!

The other good part is a very silly dogs supporter friend of mine (who had already lost heaps to me over the last few months) actually took me on for $50.00 that Toovey wouldn't be appointed, see they are as silly as they look!
:D

the real fortynil said:
IT was the only and obvious decision to make, the guy coached the current crop of talent when he had the 20's. Remember when they offered him the CEO's role and despite his obvious skill as an accountant decided to stick with the playing side of the game and has been rewarded for his role as assistant with the top job. Choc endorsed him and said he already runs the forwards and can anyone tell me if we don't have the best pack of forwards running around!

The other good part is a very silly dogs supporter friend of mine (who had already lost heaps to me over the last few months) actually took me on for $50.00 that Toovey wouldn't be appointed, see they are as silly as they look!

Toovey never had the 20s. David Penna has had it since 2008

eagles2win said:
the real fortynil said:

Pretty sure Toovs has sat in the coaching box before. Might have been prior to the Toyota cup and the old reserve grade set up. But I remember sitting next the coaches box in a game against the Raiders and if you think Des can get a little emotional in the box you ain't seen nothing yet.

Masked Eagle said:
eagles2win said:
the real fortynil said:

Pretty sure Toovs has sat in the coaching box before. Might have been prior to the Toyota cup and the old reserve grade set up. But I remember sitting next the coaches box in a game against the Raiders and if you think Des can get a little emotional in the box you ain't seen nothing yet.

It's called Little Man Syndrome:p

His forte was bulldozing out of his in-goal Earnie, and he was very good at that. Doubtful if he could make those sharp lateral dashes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6