Breaking News NRL referees are Crap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
NRL doesn’t have enough referees to sack the poor ones
Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
10 minutes ago
A fed-up Graham Annesley has admitted the quality of refereeing in the NRL is not up to standard but there isn’t enough experience in the ranks to replace underperforming officials.
In his most scathing round review of the season, Annesley revealed he is so worried about the errors made over the last two weeks that he arranged a meeting with referees boss Bernard Sutton specifically to deal with the mistakes.

Despite his frustration, Annesley, the NRL’s head of football, won’t be addressing his concerns with State of Origin referees Ashley Klein and Gerard Sutton ahead of Wednesday night’s decider in Sydney.

Problem is the drongos in the Bunker :swear:

Make those Refs control the games on the field instead of pressing red and green buttons in some remote locations :wait:

He said... "but there isn’t enough experience in the ranks to replace underperforming officials".

If he thinks this, simple then... divide what they have by 2, keeping the best ones in the middle of the park. Have the other half running the sidelines (and they can improve the forward pass calls and 10 metres, etc. from there).

To take the pressure off the one ref in the middle introduce the Captain's challenge. Humans make mistakes. Cricket wouldn't be the same without challenges being available, and I've never heard of an umpire lose their career from them.

NRL doesn’t have enough referees to sack the poor ones

A fed-up Graham Annesley has admitted the quality of refereeing in the NRL is not up to standard but there isn’t enough experience in the ranks to replace underperforming officials.
In his most scathing round review of the season, Annesley revealed he is so worried about the errors made over the last two weeks that he arranged a meeting with referees boss Bernard Sutton specifically to deal with the mistakes.

This should actually be a huge story with Todd coming out and announcing some measures to fix this. Really when the Top guy admits the officiating isn't up to standard; that's big. Imagine the nfl, or nbs boss saying that.

Then he should work out what standard they are refereeing at, and pay them accordingly. (zero?)

Finally; so a meeting about the under performing Sutton's with a ...... Sutton. what could go wrong?

I think it can go two ways:
1) We will try harder (said in a recorded message as it's said so often they may as well have it on loop),
2) We're the Sutton cartel, so get lost.

Graham got me there. I’d mentioned in another thread what bullshiit excuses he would trot out on Monday. He didn’t bother. He’s basically said the joints fuucked. Got no answers. Expect Graham’s early resignation.

One of the main reasons for the refereeing standard is technology, which forces refs to doubt their eyes and gut feel.
Why would a ref make a decision when he can simply pass on the responsibility to the vidiot?
It's the same in cricket. I can't believe that you can be run out by one metre and the umpire routinely asks for a vidiot ruling.
As I've always maintained, there should only ever be one person in charge, male or female.
And all of us married will acknowledge who that is . . .

Yesterday it really did sound as if Annesley was basically conceding defeat about the current state of refereeing in the NRL.

This should actually be a huge story with Todd coming out and announcing some measures to fix this. Really when the Top guy admits the officiating isn't up to standard; that's big. Imagine the nfl, or nbs boss saying that..

Todd will probably come out and say that he spoke with his daughter's friends and they prefer the 2 refs so they are here to stay.......

Todd will probably come out and say that he spoke with his daughter's friends and they prefer the 2 refs so they are here to stay.......

Probably, but they have come out and said that the nrl is too fast for one referee, so the two ref system is here to stay. I dunno, I still wonder how the bunker can see a players hand on the ball on the ground and rule a no try. They're the stupid ones I find hard to go with.

In a way it's why I like watching Toronto, the skills aren't the same (players) but it's amazing how they just get on with everything, mistakes included.

Maybe the stakes are lower (though getting into super league means the stakes are pretty high).
Most ex-captains seem to say they argue to get their team a rest, so they brought in the new rule stopping the captains from doing that; but then the refs allow 'referee' smith to have a high tea with them when Melb get penalised making the other teams/coaches/fans annoyed.

Unless of course Todd's daughters friends aren't annoyed so it is all ok.

Unless of course Todd's daughters friends aren't annoyed so it is all ok.
E6D7E922-7FCA-475B-980B-183F9F4058C5.jpeg

What do ref's get paid? Double it and you will get quality people - people managers who know the game and actually know the rules - jostling for the top spots. It's not that complicated.

You cant serve two masters. Whoever thought up this 2 ref system should be given the concrete boots and a dip in the harbour. It has constantly been inconsistent, because two refs have different standards. Confusing the players. Confusing to fans. Have always maintained that the answer is one ref who handles all issues where the ball is and the rest , such as off side play, is handled by touchies who have a clear 180 degree sighting across the field. Behind the play misdemeanours can be handled by the touchies. Takes the pressure off the ref who can concentrate on what is happening around the ball. And having one ref, even if he has his own interpretations, is at least likely to be more consistent.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4