Brad Fittler's Idea

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
Not sure why this wasn't picked up earlier.
Freddie's suggested a knockout pre season tourny involving the NRL teams to generate more revenue like the NAB Cup in the AFL.

Could work, places like Perth or Wellington bid to host the event and the NRL could get a guage on crowds for expansion teams.

Wouldn't be a lot more trial matches really. If you made the final, it would be 4 games, most sides have played 3 trials this year I think

Don't agree with it.

There's so many games already plus rep games. Unless their is an allowance to have more players in the squad with increased salary cap, why burden your first grade team on a second tier comp and risk more injury and burn out end of season.

Trials are fine, gives the younger players and up and comers a chance to mix it without getting all too serious.

Having said that, I reckpon the WCC was the best trial we could have had. One big game, 3 weeks off. Ready to go.

Maybe make a rule that you need to use a certain amount of your toyota cup squad, in the sides that play.....say 4.....exposure for these players and also their comp.....some clubs may deliberately choose to tank and eliminate themselves from the comp early etc , whilst other may choose to go bust and win the cash.....what if the cash prize was a decent amount and say, some of it can be used in the following years cap maybe ?? i reckon it could work

Gotta confess I'm still a massive fan of the 7's tournament played over 1 weekend. Used to love that stuff & also had international teams like Poms, Fiji , Samoa to add to the atmosphere. Cliffy used to mesmerise the defence all day!!
Maybe more of a novelty event than a pre season Cup, but still a revenue raiser & it gets everyone back into the footy & is not as physically taxing on the players.

I agree with you MK.

They could hold the Sevens in Perth/Wellington etc. and I think it would work.

I Dont think you could have it. A trial game these days is basically hoping none of your players get injured for the season.
I wont be suprised if they are nearly wiped all together or only the juniors/ second string players play only to show form for positions.

And any sort of comp before the actuall season started would be seen as a another trial game i beleive no matter what way it is looked at.
The real deal is the premiership and the 2 points!!

Kiwi Eagle said:
Wouldn't be a lot more trial matches really. If you made the final, it would be 4 games, most sides have played 3 trials this year I think
So, the finalists would have to play five matches. That's a lot for little reward.
They would have to reduce the premiership rounds by two to fit them all in.
And what about the WCC? How could we have fitted in five matches plus the WCC?

Dare I suggest a midweek knockout cup? Could start preseason and have the finals later on so the finalists don't in effect play extra trials. I like the idea of a certain amount of toyota cup and Nsw cup players being involved. Surely finalists would play mostly first graders if it meant a cash prize and a trophy.

Bit like the pommy challenge cup.

There's way to many extraneous games played already. Get rid of the annual 'tests' against NZ. Play them every two years. Poms too. The WCC should be moved to Dubai or Hong Kong. Fittler should be nailed to a goal post in Fuxing province.

I am with a couple of others on here. Bring back the 7's. Loved watching the Pepsi Sea Eagles win the Coca Cola 7's.

I'd like to see 3 way trials similar to the nab cup.

Imagine taking
Manly
Melbourne
Tigers to adelade for a trial

Game 1 manly v Melbourne (2 x 20 min halves)
Game 2 manly v tigers (2 x 20 min halves)
Game 3 melb v tigs (2 x 20 min halves )

3 teams get 80 minutes but test themselves against two different teams and the fans see 3 clubs playing 3 mini matches

weev said:
I thought the general complaint from players is the season is too long.

I have a theory on this with the best example being cricketeers, years ago they were complaining about playing to much cricket along comes the IPL and various T20 leagues giving out money to any bloke that looks like he could swing a bat and all of a sudden the complaining stops. Now apply the same principal to league players guarantee same response

The RFL is still considering extending the WCC to a tourney as well to a top six(NRL top 3 vs ESL top 3) knockout champs league as well.
Most English supporters can see what will happen though if the NRL sides survive they'll lap the ESL teams in the next game.

I suggest a "post-season" knockout competition for the 8 teams that didn't make the playoffs.

This could be run over three weeks in conjunction with the playoffs.

There would be 4 games in week one, 2 games in week two and the final game in week three.

These games could be played at suitable venues. Open it up for sponsorship and sell it to fox.

If this is then successful expand it to 16 teams so it will run over 4 weeks.

I would suggest PNG, Moari, Fiji, Country Rep team, Aboriginal Country, NSW Cup rep squad, and the reaminder could be pommie, french or toher rep [/u]teams.

Imagine playing 8 games in Sydney over two days. What an advertisement and experience that would be for the supporters and the league.

Just a thought.

A question

At the moment, at best most teams play their first grade team for half a match per trial

Do you not thin with extra coverage there would be pressure to have full strenght teams?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6