Booing Adam Goodes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This is very topical, the last few days I have caught snippets on radio sports programs on my way home, and everyone has an opinion and most were very critical of Goodes. I take the opposite view, I consider Goodes a courageous man who took a stand against racism knowing full well it would put him in the firing line, and it sure has.

i honestley dont think there is a correct answer to this one. What i do think is that there better be alot of security at the game the next time Goodes plays. I can see it already, people boo...other people call racism, said people say im not racist....it's on.

There is always a correct answer. The trick usually is to identify the correct question.
In this case it could be (for example): Why - in Australia, right now - are you 28 times more likely to be in jail if you are born Aboriginal?
I've heard callers to Talkin Sport make comments like 'the stolen generation was in the past' and 'racism is in the past'...'so get over it!!'
But if there was equality here then Goodes wouldn't make a statement, and he would not be getting booed.

And as an aside, Thurston and Inglis are persons often derided on character grounds, but I applaud their leading role in getting their code NRL (or at least sections of it) to show support to Goodes.

Well the correct question is why is he getting booed. And no one can categorically say why. And when there is 5000 different people booing, you will never know for certain.

Sadly, racism is alive and well in Australia. Bigotry is on display in all walks of life and all levels of society, poorly hidden behind a thin mask of "humour" usually. The truly heart breaking thing is, there are not too many people willing to take a stand against it, and definitely not too many in the public eye. I applaud Adam Goodes and all his supporters of every race and creed for publicly displaying their intolerance to racism.

On a personal note, my two boys cop crap daily at high school because of their skin colour. I'm white and their mum is Fiji/Indian. It's always "jokingly" of course, but it eats at them. They are both certain (as I am) that on a physical level, they could easily handle the confrontations, but I keep telling them to ignore it and walk away.

5000 different people booing doesn't make them all hard core racists though, in fairness. Mob mentality is a real thing. 4900 of them probably have no real idea why they are booing, but join in because it feels good to be part of the group. This does expose their underlying beliefs though, or at the very least, they're inability to think for themselves and make their own rational decisions on what is right and wrong in the heat of the moment. The other 100 could probably be positively identified as full on bigots. England has the same problem with the soccer hooligans that have a way of stirring up every day people into a violent frenzy that they normally wouldn't involve themselves in.

Here's a link to a great article I read the other day that tells it like it is. It's pretty long, so I won't cut and paste. Give it a read though, please. It's worth it.

Good onya Adam! You've got my support, Mate!

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...rsy-and-australias-problem-with-racism-2015-7

As I do not watch the game a question

Has Goodes always been booed or did it start after the indigenous round?

It started after the indigenous round.

Congrats on the staff job @lsz Next up, ME!?? C'mon @Dan throw me in Mate, I'm ready >:)

Then I think we all how our answer re of it is race related

Look we always bood wally Lewis no matter what...it did not start after someone did a tribal dance in the round which is meant to celebrate it.

The NRL gets a heap wrong but at least they are somewhat better at indigenous relations than the other codes.

As for the staff member moz I will wait and see what lil Wayne is up to before I celebrate too much...

Well the correct question is why is he getting booed. And no one can categorically say why. And when there is 5000 different people booing, you will never know for certain.
'5000 different people' - but how different?
How many Aboriginals booed him?

In a country where Aboriginals remain at the bottom of the social system by every material standard that can be measured, and an Aboriginal man becomes famous for standing up to say it is not acceptable to discriminate on race, and 5000 (or 50000) white people just happen to boo him…well… whether they are aware of it or not, it is racist.

But if you don't agree, feel free to explain why not. It is an important debate at this time in my humble opinion.

5000 different people booing doesn't make them all hard core racists though, in fairness. Mob mentality is a real thing. 4900 of them probably have no real idea why they are booing,

Very good point. Racism thrives on ignorance. But now that it's become a public issue, can anyone really continue to claim innocence, or pretend it is just like 'Wally's a wanker'?
The next Anglo Aussie to boo Goodes may as well just don a white hood and be done with it.

Very good point. Racism thrives on ignorance. But now that it's become a public issue, can anyone really continue to claim innocence, or pretend it is just like 'Wally's a wanker'?
The next Anglo Aussie to boo Goodes may as well just don a white hood and be done with it.

What a load of ****, boo a footballer because you don't like him = racist. Being a racist is bad, and so is being faulslesly accused of one as well.

What a load of ****, boo a footballer because you don't like him = racist. Being a racist is bad, and so is being faulslesly accused of one as well.

So he has always been treated that way? His whole career?

If you are not booing him because of his race, then you must be booing him for his style of play. His style of play matches quite a lot of other players in their comp. Do you boo all of those other blokes too? It's a long game, if you constantly booed all the players who play with the same determination and gamesmanship to win, both with the swans, and against them, you'd have no time to enjoy the game.

So what is it that irks you more about Goodes' game than all the other players?

See?

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
No other aboriginal gets booed in AFL, so the're not only racist but selective racist....right.!!?

I think Goodes has gone about this racism issue the wrong way. Don't use sport to address it. If he didn't target the crowd with the tribal war dance, I don't think there would be a problem. It's the same as the haka it's done to the opposite team not the crowd. I loved it when I saw it but wished Goodes was facing the other way. Anyway hope it works out for him. Great Australian.

If you are not booing him because of his race, then you must be booing him for his style of play. His style of play matches quite a lot of other players in their comp. Do you boo all of those other blokes too? It's a long game, if you constantly booed all the players who play with the same determination and gamesmanship to win, both with the swans, and against them, you'd have no time to enjoy the game.

So what is it that irks you more about Goodes' game than all the other players?

See?
Go to a state of origin in qld. Gallen gets booed every time he touches the ball. They chant Gallens a wanxxx . If he was aboriginal would it be racist.

Go to a state of origin in qld. Gallen gets booed every time he touches the ball. They chant Gallens a wanxxx . If he was aboriginal would it be racist.

No. Calling someone a wanxxx is not insulting their racial back ground.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4