Blockers Okay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Annesley gets away with it because by the way it’s written he’s technically correct.
I’m sure a few weeks ago a team got away with it because their “blockers” were in a staggered line not a straight line.
Now his interpretation of “side by side” is shoulder to shoulder but because they left a gap it was okay.
One of the journos questioned him on this and he said “ it’s something to look at in the off season, we can’t change it during the finals”.
Look I get there are what Mander called “sleepers” - just being near the ruck from a previous play etc but both the Chooks players ran a few metres to get to that position to effectively “block”

Problem is, the coaches are smarter than the refs and try it on.

We even had when we played the Storm a few weeks ago, Cheese was running in support bit was never going to get the ball, ran past the player that had the ball but we got penalised for tackling him without the ball despite him being in front of the player with the ball.

How many times when a player makes a break do we see support players looking around where the chasers are and run interference under the guise of support play?

There’s too many to list.

Annesley should be fired.

That justification is laughable, two blokes side by side in front of the play the ball will impede a chaser even if they don't move or make contact. The second it takes for the defender to run around them is enough for the kicker to take an advantage. End of story.

I am also suss of his drop kick justification for Gutho's knock-on. I have seen plenty of these called knock-on when the foot doesn't get to the ball before it hits the ground.

He is playing us for fools.
He is a joke, takes a miracle for him to admit fault

so the best option would then be to form an arrow head block from the ruck would it not? if the rule is not shoulder to shoulder then to stagger the block would be the most effective legal option?

Annesley is obviously a keen student of George Orwell's 1984, and very adept at Doublethink:

To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic

All I know is when DCE kicks a winning field goal this Friday night, it will be sent for a bunker review and ruled a penalty to Roosters.

The Ben Tribojevic gift try from Turbo vs the Dogs was ruled 'no try' from a non existent obstruction 75m back up field. But the blockers and sleepers around the play the ball on the 6th tackle or for field goals, they apparently aren't obstructions.

Last edited:
'Blockers okay'

c673794fe1ac79afb3f6e7f2de7076ef

I don't like diving but the simple solution if the ref's believe this BS that the players blocking are legal unless physically obstructing is for the marker to run into the blockers and flail away once the pass has gone through / past.
A captains challenge if the field goal is successful or if a kick is sent and regathered for a try.

Better yet, how about all players from both teams have to be onside when the play the ball occurs?

Onside for the attacking team being minimum 2 or 3 metres behind the PTB otherwise the PTB cant go ahead.

That would take care of any attacking players hanging around potentially troubling the defensive line.

Last edited:
I can kind of get this block play scenario being sort of kosher, what I can't get is that those two Roosters players set up camp in FRONT of the play the ball. How is that legal ?? You want to make it difficult for defenders to get to your kicker ? can you stop taking the P and at least be on side. What is the difference between this and Mr Technicality's downtown penalty a couple of week ago ??

NRL and the referees are just too afraid to police anything around field goals because they have no appetite for the controversy should they show some balls and make a call. Look at what a joke golden point games become. It's a free for all of offsides and blockers, and they'll never do a thing about it.

What I find frustrating when watching the weekly review by Annersley is that he goes to great lengths to emphasize that no two incidents are the same and cannot be compared.

Viz a viz the penalty try and no penalty try decisions last weekend.

He takes a breath then shows clips of several teams putting blockers in to protect their kickers and comments that they have not been penalized all season so we can't change the rules for finals. Thereby comparing what he believes is incomparable.

I contend that this case was different to the ones he showed as the players were standing in front of the play the ball (although he did suggest that was an optical illusion based on angles). He did basically confirm that the bunker would have looked at the decision if Rein had "collided" with the Roosters players but would not make a call as to the outcome.

I contend that this case was different to the ones he showed as the players were standing in front of the play the ball (although he did suggest that was an optical illusion based on angles). He did basically confirm that the bunker would have looked at the decision if Rein had "collided" with the Roosters players but would not make a call as to the outcome.
So to 'defend' the field goal attempt a player needs to search out a blocker, collide with him then put on an acting performance, wailing on the ground and flaying about....
Yep, we'll see that scenario soon.

Such a lot of media chit chat about blockers this week, for field goals and also general field kickers.
All the refs could hardly have missed it, it is suddenly a hot topic.
Hopefully we won't have to rely on a DCE field goal to get the win.

Anusley & Co have just thrown the rule book away and make this sh1t up on the run. THis fool should not be in a position of power.

Too many technicalities in the modern game. The only question on the referee's mind should be: did a player or team get or attempt to get an unfair advantage by their actions. If yes than blow the whistle. Thuggery gets you sent from the field. Deliberate unsportsmanlike play shows you haven't got the right attitude and you don't belong on the field at any time.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4