Blockers Okay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cc eagle

Bencher
Annesley said he didn't have a problem with the rorters blockers when the FG was kicked, as they weren't shoulder to shoulder and Rein wasn't impeded, so do the chasers now run into the blockers and fall over with arms up in the air. Also how many blockers can you have in the line, and how far apart should they be, so long as they're not shoulder to shoulder, I can see more grey areas coming in and confusing everyone.

It's basicilly the same as what Bennett was calling out about the Panfers tactics to stop chasers getting to Cleary.

Annesley must be kidding if he claims that Rein was not disadvantaged or impeded in any way trying to thwart Sam Walker"s field goal attempt . How could it be interpreted any other way . B T W , when i first saw the post title , initially thought that it was referring to Blocker Roach 's commentary or something .

Even back when we played Panthers I noticed their players such as JFH deliberately moving to obstruct our guys trying to apply kick pressure.
On a side note, is it just me or does Manly hardly ever apply kick pressure?
Starting to wonder whether it is deliberate. Just don't bother wasting your energy, because a) you might tackle the kicker awkwardly and get penalised/suspended; b) by rushing up you may force the kicker to run and that may be worse; or c) if you get close enough to contact the ball or charge down the kick, half the time it ends up as 6 again to the attacking side.

Even back when we played Panthers I noticed their players such as JFH deliberately moving to obstruct our guys trying to apply kick pressure.
Starting to wonder whether it is deliberate. Just don't bother wasting your energy, because a) you might tackle the kicker awkwardly and get penalised/suspended; b) by rushing up you may force the kicker to run and that may be worse; or c) if you get close enough to contact the ball or charge down the kick, half the time it ends up as 6 again to the attacking side.
All of the above.

Reading the title of your thread, I was concerned you had a soft spot for Steve Roach.

I've noticed it. Not sure it's a great tactic. Giving a kicker time to sum up the situation and execute a perfect kick is playing into the opposition's hands. Most weeks I am left disappointed by our lack of line speed. Kick pressure is usually a by-product of line-speed, with one shooter.

Annesley said he didn't have a problem with the rorters blockers when the FG was kicked, as they weren't shoulder to shoulder and Rein wasn't impeded, so do the chasers now run into the blockers and fall over with arms up in the air. Also how many blockers can you have in the line, and how far apart should they be, so long as they're not shoulder to shoulder, I can see more grey areas coming in and confusing everyone.

It's basicilly the same as what Bennett was calling out about the Panfers tactics to stop chasers getting to Cleary.
I think they need to take a look at Melbourne and Panthers attack, their one out's are all block plays and I would say very close to obstruction

Why is there no scrutiny over a field goal like there is over a try? There can be just as many things you need to check its legitimacy. Yet the ref makes an immediate decision.
Shouldn't the ref check with the sky pilot, the Vidiot? They would need to clear blockers, whether defenders were off-side . . . and in the case of 'King Gutho' whether his "field goal" was the worst attempt at a one-pointer in the history of the sport.

Feeding us the b/s is bad enough. Making us eat it, ugh.

Lies, Lies, and Annesl-tatistcs

As annesley said it was ok because the titans player got through and 'put pressure on the kicker' - even though you can clearly see the roosters player moving sideways....

It just promotes yet another reason for the player to dive. Titans player hits the deck..dumb dumb ref goes 'penalty blocker play' simply because they're not up to the job to see the flamin' obvious.

Surely annesley is either lying / has no idea / having his puppet strings pulled by his nrl masters?

Annesley should be fired.

That justification is laughable, two blokes side by side in front of the play the ball will impede a chaser even if they don't move or make contact. The second it takes for the defender to run around them is enough for the kicker to take an advantage. End of story.

I am also suss of his drop kick justification for Gutho's knock-on. I have seen plenty of these called knock-on when the foot doesn't get to the ball before it hits the ground.

He is playing us for fools.

As annesley said it was ok because the titans player got through and 'put pressure on the kicker' - even though you can clearly see the roosters player moving sideways....

It just promotes yet another reason for the player to dive. Titans player hits the deck..dumb dumb ref goes 'penalty blocker play' simply because they're not up to the job to see the flamin' obvious.

Surely annesley is either lying / has no idea / having his puppet strings pulled by his nrl masters?
He made have gotten through but he was clearly impeded , this should be a penalty any day of the week ( according to the pub test ).

Annersley just tows the company line these days , all part of the “ narrative “.

Annesley should be fired.

That justification is laughable, two blokes side by side in front of the play the ball will impede a chaser even if they don't move or make contact. The second it takes for the defender to run around them is enough for the kicker to take an advantage. End of story.

I am also suss of his drop kick justification for Gutho's knock-on. I have seen plenty of these called knock-on when the foot doesn't get to the ball before it hits the ground.

He is playing us for fools.
Just towing the company line mate , does it every week.

TV ratings / betting are the two things that control the game.

You are fighting both those situations when you aren’t one of the favoured sides.

I think they need to take a look at Melbourne and Panthers attack, their one out's are all block plays and I would say very close to obstruction
I really noticed this in Friday's game - their decoy/block plays when we were trapped down our end were blatant obstruction on umpteen of their plays.

The tackled player plays the ball while a forward jogs up into our line & stops, while dummy half passes behind him, obstructing our markers & A defender.

There's a fine line between block plays & obstruction & I believe the Storm have learnt how to cross it without being pinged for it.

Once you've noticed it you cant unsee it.

Most sets our markers didn't put any pressure on the Storm kicker last week so it's wasted effort against us building walls to protect the kicker.

I really noticed this in Friday's game - their decoy/block plays when we were trapped down our end were blatant obstruction on umpteen of their plays.

The tackled player plays the ball while a forward jogs up into our line & stops, while dummy half passes behind him, obstructing our markers & A defender.

There's a fine line between block plays & obstruction & I believe the Storm have learnt how to cross it without being pinged for it.

Once you've noticed it you cant unsee it.
These seemingly small details are what the Storm practice and re-practice all year and in combination they all add up to one of the major reasons why they win. Nothing they do is by accident. What's annoying is we don't do these same things nearly as well. We are much less structured and ad hoc, and against the good teams and sometimes like Friday it goes pear shaped.

Let's hope it's better this week. The Roosters are a pretty organised methodical team too.

Blocking is illegal and has always been illegal. So how does it rare its ugly head again? Inaction by our officials that how! They can sugarcoat it all they like it is utter incompetence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4