Blacktown 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

double hoops

First Grader
Brad Abbey joins Blacktown.
I must admit I’m surprised this bloke never kicked on.
I thought the Bulldogs made a smart buy and had the next RTS when they stole him from the warriors many years back. He’s had a couple of NRL clubs I think he was a Raiders for a bit and just hasn’t seemed to crack into first grade.
He sure was quick and just an outstanding fullback years ago when an under 20.

From what I saw in the video, I hope we get to see him in that form for the eagles this year at some stage. Looks a talent.
In saying that, aside from the physical attributes, it takes a certain character and commitment to navigate the pathways to success within any sport. It will be interesting to see if he has all that is needed to take himself to the top.

Last edited:
Already have Jake Toby there as well , If Brad [ Abbey and who i have seen very little of , ] still can show the type of ability in those clips , maybe Jake could have a crack at 6 at Blacktown . , Very sharp and speed of the mark , like Abbey looks a good all round footy player . Could be some time before both could be eligible for i st grade but does help in the depth department and to bolster Blacktown 's ranks

The whole Blacktown agreement has to be in the spotlight now.

I have not seen a lot of evidence that they enhance our club. My worry about them is juniors that we have who are from the northern beaches are being sent out there to play games in a foreign part of Sydney to them and in my opinion we need to be under the same umbrella.

If Blacktown as another bad season I think its time to cut the cord and bring our entire club to where it rightfully should be!

The whole Blacktown agreement has to be in the spotlight now.

I have not seen a lot of evidence that they enhance our club. My worry about them is juniors that we have who are from the northern beaches are being sent out there to play games in a foreign part of Sydney to them and in my opinion we need to be under the same umbrella.

If Blacktown as another bad season I think its time to cut the cord and bring our entire club to where it rightfully should be!

The away games would still see em travelling every other week.

Are all the junior home games now out at Blacktown?

Seems like a Blacktown/NSWRL standard type of player. A couple of games in FG over a few years.

Gun FB for NZ in U'20's, but not kicked on at all.
Very good NSW cup player, but if he was to play FG we would mean we have 5 - 6 unavailable.

Gun FB for NZ in U'20's, but not kicked on at all.
Very good NSW cup player, but if he was to play FG we would mean we have 5 - 6 unavailable.
To take into account also that Harper had a run at full back in a trials a couple of seasons ago and apparently did not go too bad but average opposition . Real test back there at a higher level is being able to handle a barrage of well placed bombs on a regular basis of course . Not in every halves repertoire but some really accurate attacking bombs a la James Maloney , Cleary just so effective . Maybe not the best situation for Manly at present but really can 't be too lacking to be in contention . Dylan Walker was a bit underestimated in that area

To take into account also that Harper had a run at full back in a trials a couple of seasons ago and apparently did not go too bad but average opposition . Real test back there at a higher level is being able to handle a barrage of well placed bombs on a regular basis of course . Not in every halves repertoire but some really accurate attacking bombs a la James Maloney , Cleary just so effective . Maybe not the best situation for Manly at present but really can 't be too lacking to be in contention . Dylan Walker was a bit underestimated in that area
To be honest Al - I think it was also a case of Abbey lacking some off field discipline to halt his progress and he has similar unpredictable attacking flair to a Preston Cambell/Barba type, but he has definite flaws in his game or his attacking ability would have had several teams lining up to fight for his signature.
Personally watch a fair bit of NSW cup games, so will at least add some entertaining game play to a sluggish predictable Blacktown team.

Here is a point ... is/was the Blacktown partnership inherently bad ... or did we just fukk it up?

We seemed to be making all the decisions. Did Dessie et al just not know how to get the best out of them.

We did appear to get some outstanding players from out that way in the early days ... like half our current top 30.

So was it them or us ... and can it be repaired?

We need Blacktown to have success and that will require our coaching staff making decisions that treats Blacktown as a our true reserve grade side in which uninjured players outside of the 17 players play each week. I know we have issues with covid but gee Des didn't do Blacktown or our fringe players any favours.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4