Billy Slater reality check

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I think too much is made of the Wolfie incident, TBH. I reckon pretty much any player would know/have been taught not to move someone with a neck/spinal injury, and any guy in the position Slater was would've done the same - well, maybe not Scam Smith, he'd be up and whinging at the ref.

You've only gotta look at how players around the incident react when anyone suffers a serious injury, or a head knock - a lot of the time it's the tackler (i.e. opposition player, not a teammate) who hears/sees/feels the injury and starts trying to get the attention of the ref, trainers etc. Depending on how the tangle of bodies ends up, they often won't move from under the injured player. Pretty sure I've even seen Todd Carney - the ultimate dope - removing an opponent's mouth guard at least once. They're often not the sharpest tools in the shed, but it's obviously sunk in that choking on your mouth guard is bad juju, same with neck/back injuries.

I wasn't going to comment as you make a fair point but as you've quoted my post there @Pablo, I'll point out I didn't say that that incident made him a great guy, in fact I don't know many great guys that would require a redeeming quality (as I had suggested).
A lot of people have medals for, quoting them, "doing just what anyone else would have done", but I do think if one young footy player watching that night remembers what Slater did and does the same (if put in a similar situation), then that is a positive legacy.
I agree with you that it doesn't make him a great guy (Wolfman might disagree) and it's up to each league fan how they balance up all his legacies, good or bad, to form their own opinion (of which I have one but have not expressed).
Sorry mate if it came across like i was having a crack at you, i definitely wasn't. I only quoted your post because you brought it up and i was giving my thoughts on that incident. My gripe is with the media, mainly the goons at chan 9.

Yeh I can't recall Snake having too many brain explosions. The most famous for Slater being the pass back infield in the 08 test v NZ ( was that the 4 nations final?).

Sadly that was actually the World Cup Final.

What pi$$sed me off more than anything was that Snake was hung out to dry by the NRL and the media, even after he was proven innocent, yet when Melbourne got done cheating which included clear cut evidence that the players themselves had knowingly signed two separate contracts.....the NRL did everything in their power to protect them.

And IMO that was because the league want Melbourne to be successful and that is nothing more than a bragging rights thing they can hang over the AFL. Oh sure, they took premierships, minor premierships and the WCC from them mostly because they had no choice. But the by punishing the players they would have put the Storm back at least 10 years, hence they got to keep the likes of their coach and their so-called 'Big 3'. Take away Bellamy, Smith, Cronk and Slater and the Storm were mid-field at best.

Last edited:
I think Slater will be remembered as the more superior player among the majority of fans, but I am assessing the two based on my opinion of their skills, and personally I believe it's defence that separates them as Snake had the better defence.

You can't always discount the medias role in portraying a player as great or otherwise. I think 09 tarnished Snake forever and he was never given his dues as a result.
To be perfectly honest, I agree that Stewart could have ended up being the better footballer. Knee injuries and personal issues put paid to that.
Just stating Slater is a fantastic footballer. I don't like him and he has a grubby element to his game, but fair dinkum he was an excitement machine...put bums on seats...can play

To be perfectly honest, I agree that Stewart could have ended up being the better footballer. Knee injuries and personal issues put paid to that.
Just stating Slater is a fantastic footballer. I don't like him and he has a grubby element to his game, but fair dinkum he was an excitement machine...put bums on seats...can play
I have heard it said, which I agree with that the filthy purple grub made the simple look spectacular whilst the Prince of Brookvale made the spectacular look simple.

There is no doubt in my mind which of the two was the most naturally gifted player, but the media love to get all jiggy jiggy over what appears spectacular.

I for one will never forget what was said to an 8 year old Manly supporter in Melbourne in 2009, it absolutely confirmed for me the character of the creature.

I'll never argue that Slater (or Smith) aren't great players. No chance. It's their deification by the media that I can't stand.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8