Billy Slater reality check

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

andyeagle

Hi everyone

I'm an every day reader - but yearly poster. It takes a lot for me to hit the keyboards

Earlier this week, i read a article about Billy Slater. Here's the quote that got me

"We always have a competitive team. When you have guys like Cameron, Cooper, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau in your team, you can really just focus on your role and your game."

Does anyone else read this and feel vile. I have commented on this article a few times, but smh won't publish my comments. What an absolute disgrace. Billly, when you have these blokes around you, you are 1 million dollars over the salary cap. Your success is an embarrassment to the game. Is it just me, or do we forget the boat in GI's garage? This bloke has been suspended for kicking people in the head. Why is he spoken of so highly? I don't get it.

Last edited:
I clicked agree, then revised that to winner. You've got my vote Andy.

This is one of the reasons why i dislike NRL management so much. They kiss the asses of these 'stars', never came down hard on them and made them accountable during the salary cap cheating scandal. And yes, Billy is a cat of the highest order

When your club is founded and funded at the time by the News limited filth you understand why he says this. The drizzle had no ethics during that time just like their owners and Slater and others from that era are in denial about the damage their club did to the game and more recently we saw the Dalai Arthur say that we won the 9s last year regardless of the sanctions that followed.

Billy Slater is a great of the modern game but his on field tactics and behaviour has not always represented that fact.

When your club is founded and funded at the time by the News limited filth you understand why he says this. The drizzle had no ethics during that time just like their owners and Slater and others from that era are in denial about the damage their club did to the game and more recently we saw the Dalai Arthur say that we won the 9s last year regardless of the sanctions that followed.

Billy Slater is a great of the modern game but his on field tactics and behaviour has not always represented that fact.
As far as I can tell they behave the same today as they always have. Their attitude is to do whatever it takes, anything it takes, legal or illegal to win at absolutely all costs and it's not ever ever to be referred to as cheating as long as they win.

That is not in the spirit of the game one bit and I look forward to the day when him, his fellow teammates and their coach are no longer associated with the game.

A few things
*Slater is in the officials favourites bracket....can argue and abuse refs, drop knees and flying boots into players, yet is portrayed the nice guy.
*Regardless of this WAS an electrifying attacker, but still don't see how he was rated above B Stewart who HAD the overall game package.....clearly better majority of the past decade.
*Like Brett is on the way out and doubt will even finish 2017.

its all about the greater good

Cheating is ok is the word you get given the NRL keeps letting things like this happen.

Not disagreeing with the comments above but most people have some redeeming qualities and when discussing Slater's legacy we probably shouldn't exclude the story below where Slater helped Wolfman. As a Manly and League fan I found that moment both distressing and inspiring.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-first-aid-on-wolfman-20110827-1jfho.html

Ok, resume transmission.:)

I hate this incident being used to show what a great guy Slater is. It's total BS.
It's called common decency, and he reacted the same way that the majority of people would have in that situation.
All it proved was that he's human, it's doesn't change the fact he's a **** wit

I can't stand slater or the storm as much as the rest here. But if he played for manly I'm sure the views would be quite different. Matai has been my fav player for years but if he played for Melbourne I would prob hate his guts and we would be calling him out as being dirty.

I can't stand slater or the storm as much as the rest here. But if he played for manly I'm sure the views would be quite different. Matai has been my fav player for years but if he played for Melbourne I would prob hate his guts and we would be calling him out as being dirty.
Matai has never recieved preferential treatment as the nice guy....in fact....quite the opposite.....same as the Stewarts treatment from the NRL and Manly in general - big difference though I do agree fans obviously favour their own.

I hate this incident being used to show what a great guy Slater is. It's total BS.
It's called common decency, and he reacted the same way that the majority of people would have in that situation.

I used to type something like this whenever that comment was said....but I got tired of doing it so often so thanks go to you!

What I can't stand is his story about going for a run, happens to stumble across some homeless people, goes and buys them some food.... What an act of kindness you say?.?.? But just so happens to have someone there to take a Twitter photo of him so he can post it while having brekky and tell everyone about his good deed.

A real humanitarian doesn't look for gratitude by posting on social media.
They give. And the media stories are written later. Not at brekky with a big thumbs up for the Twitter followers....
Yep,
Caring for the injured and feeding the hungry. Saint Billy

In that game where he helped Wolfie (as anyone would expect someone to) he also dropped on top of DCE's head with a forearm while DCE was on the ground. Saw it clearly from my Jane Try seat. Got away with it to.

I remember watching the replay when I got home and the incident happened while Ray Warren was warbling on as usual and Phil Gould stopped him and said the Manly fans have spotted Slater doing something in the tackle on DCE and Warren brushed him off and changed the subject. Heaven forbid someone should criticise Rabs wonder boy in Slater.

While I do think Slater is a great player, he does do many grubby things and gets away with it.

I was at that game and was sitting behind the goal posts where it happened. And my best mate and partner were with me. My partner also took a number of photos at the time.

We all saw the lead up to this incident and it was not going to end up well for Wolfman. We saw purple scum knees and legs flying directly towards Wolfy in an effort to try and stop him scoring. And it literally made me feel sick. Yes part of me concedes it may have been an accident, but part of me can not let go that it could have been avoided, if knees and legs had not been directed at Wolf. And it was only after the fact that Wolf was on the ground did Slater do something, just like any decent human being would have.

I was actually waiting for the ref to call out some purple scum players to be reprimanded for what had happened but nadder, nothing, I was gobsmacked.

And do I need to go on about the signing of two contracts, the dirty techniques, not in the spirit of the game. Slater in my mind may not have the perceived success he has had without cheating, so I have no time for him nor think he is anything special. (Scam Smith is also another one that fits into this category and how he was ever awarded the title of captain of Australia, defies logic.)

The NRL have not ever penalised Slater, Scam, Bellamy or anyone else at the purple scum hard enough at all. They are cheating scum and a blight on the game.

What I can't stand is his story about going for a run, happens to stumble across some homeless people, goes and buys them some food.... What an act of kindness you say?.?.? But just so happens to have someone there to take a Twitter photo of him so he can post it while having brekky and tell everyone about his good deed.

A real humanitarian doesn't look for gratitude by posting on social media.
They give. And the media stories are written later. Not at brekky with a big thumbs up for the Twitter followers....
Real heroes give their headgear to kids after games. Apparently

Cheat ****bag who gets rammed down our throats because the Storm have no real fans. If he has to retire no one will actually care and NRL level wingers will probably rejoice because they can now dive into the corner for tries without worrying about copping a boot full of studs to the head. Good riddance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8