Big boys big block engine thread!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
giphy.gif

Wash your mouths out. Proudly produced in the United States of Australia when we had a car industry!
Yes I think you are right there . The 308 V8 was produced in Australia . The 327 V8 was the Chevy engine from the states . Can we have clarification @HoldenV8 ?
The Valiant Charger and was the fastest Australian produced car at the time having the best quarter mile time . The E49 R/T Charger was explosive off the mark just like our Dylan Walker
Hey Charger What a car !!!!
hqdefault.jpg

The 327 and 350 Chev's that appeared in Holden's (mostly the Monaro's and Brougham's) during the 60s and 70s were American built engines.

The 327 would not have even made it into the Holden lineup had the designers and engineers at Holden not stuffed up and got way behind with the 308 project back in 1968. It was originally intended to be the new home grown hero engine for the HK Monaro and Brougham models, but work fell behind the proposed HK release date. The 327 Chev was originally rejected because they measured the HK's engine bay and believed it wouldn't fit. But once the 308 project fell behind, they re-measured and found that the 327 (and 350) would actually fit.

With regards to the Charger......my partner's late husband owned an RT/49 that other than an orange bonnet, was exactly the same as your picture @BOZO . Damn thing was in near perfect condition (before he died of MS in 2000, he worked at Mitsubishi in Adelaide and was Mopar through and through). Sadly a so-called and now very ex-friend conned her out of it while she was grieving for him and it was lost. Damn thing was beautiful.

The 327 and 350 Chev's that appeared in Holden's (mostly the Monaro's and Brougham's) during the 60s and 70s were American built engines.

The 327 would not have even made it into the Holden lineup had the designers and engineers at Holden not stuffed up and got way behind with the 308 project back in 1968. It was originally intended to be the new home grown hero engine for the HK Monaro and Brougham models, but work fell behind the proposed HK release date. The 327 Chev was originally rejected because they measured the HK's engine bay and believed it wouldn't fit. But once the 308 project fell behind, they re-measured and found that the 327 (and 350) would actually fit.

With regards to the Charger......my partner's late husband owned an RT/49 that other than an orange bonnet, was exactly the same as your picture @BOZO . Damn thing was in near perfect condition (before he died of MS in 2000, he worked at Mitsubishi in Adelaide and was Mopar through and through). Sadly a so-called and now very ex-friend conned her out of it while she was grieving for him and it was lost. Damn thing was beautiful.
Great read . Thank you @HoldenV8

I still haven't given up on Manly scraping into the top 8.

We showed up in Brisbane a few weeks back just how great we can be when everything falls into place.

The next 3 weeks are vital. We must beat the Warriors, Dragons & Panthers heading into the bye.

If we can achieve this, then we could really build some momentum heading into the final two months and start peaking when it really counts.

Sure, we can only really afford to lose two more games to stay in the race but if we can manage to get through the next month unscathed, our odds will improve dramatically.

Having Taufua back, Paseka & Walker will really change the dynamics of the team.

It is so crucial for DCE and Hodkinson to come up with the goods on the back of our go forward, and hopefully Tom & Jake can take their games to another level after riding the Origin wave.

Teams have turned their season around from this predicament in the past. Remember last year we were one of the most exciting attacking teams in the comp, especially when it came to long range tries. If we can just manage to keep the same squad on the field for an extended period, we might just click into gear and surprise some of the competitions heavyweights.
Baahaa that's the funniest post I've seen on this forum. For a minute there I thought you said we still had a chance of getting into the top 8. Oh wait.

Great read . Thank you @HoldenV8

No worries mate.

FYI, the 308 and the smaller 4.2L 253 did get finished in time to be released with 1969's HT model. However, as Ford Australia had started importing the 351 Windsor engine for their new GHTO's to replace the 302 Windsor (the locally built 351 Cleveland would replace it in 1970), Holden decided to try and fight fire with fire and the 308 was reduced (at the time) to being their main passenger car V8 while the hoon car HT Monaro's that would race at Bathurst were given the 350 Chev. The 308 would not become Holden's hero engine until they were put into the SL/R 5000 Torana's in 1974, though the 350 Chev was still part of the Monaro range right up until the HX model of 1976 before it was replaced by the Holden V8 engine.

The 253 was last seen in the HDT-Brock Commodore's in 1984 before it was dropped. The 308 lasted until 1998, though it went through some changes. HDT versions were reduced in capacity to a 304 (4.9L) in 1985 for Group A touring car racing purposes (it meant the Commodore's could race at 1325kg rather than 1400), while the 308 (5.0L) was given fuel injection in 1988 for the Walkinshaw VL SV and the new VN model Commodore's. There was also a stroker kit developed in the mid-90s which stretched it to a 5.7L (350) for certain HSV models. The HDT also used their own 5.6L (344) stroker engine in some of the VL Director's built in 1987 (the Director was actually the car Brock released in February 1987 in defiance of Holden that, along with the Energy Polarizer was the main cause of the infamous HDT / Holden divorce).

Last edited:
No worries mate.

FYI, the 308 and the smaller 4.2L 253 did get finished in time to be released with 1969's HT model. However, as Ford Australia had started importing the 351 Windsor engine for their new GHTO's to replace the 302 Windsor (the locally built 351 Cleveland would replace it in 1970), Holden decided to try and fight fire with fire and the 308 was reduced (at the time) to being their main passenger car V8 while the hoon car HT Monaro's that would race at Bathurst were given the 350 Chev. The 308 would not become Holden's hero engine until they were put into the SL/R 5000 Torana's in 1974, though the 350 Chev was still part of the Monaro range right up until the HX model of 1976 before it was replaced by the Holden V8 engine.

The 253 was last seen in the HDT-Brock Commodore's in 1984 before it was dropped. The 308 lasted until 1998, though it went through some changes. HDT versions were reduced in capacity to a 304 (4.9L) in 1985 for Group A touring car racing purposes (it meant the Commodore's could race at 1325kg rather than 1400), while the 308 (5.0L) was given fuel injection in 1988 for the Walkinshaw VL SV and the new VN model Commodore's. There was also a stroker kit developed in the mid-90s which stretched it to a 5.7L (350) for certain HSV models. The HDT also used their own 5.6L (344) stroker engine in some of the VL Director's built in 1987 (the Director was actually the car Brock released in February 1987 in defiance of Holden that, along with the Energy Polarizer was the main cause of the infamous HDT / Holden divorce).
Interesting facts indeed . You are not called Holdenv8 for nothing .
A Holden friend of mine recently brought the last model VF series 2 SS 6.2 litre V8and he said it is the best V8 Holden he has ever driven . I got to drive it and its an amazing car .
It looks like this
20140303224803600_jpg.jpg

A Holden friend of mine recently brought the last model VF series 2 SS 6.2 litre V8and he said it is the best V8 Holden he has ever driven . I got to drive it and its an amazing car .
It looks like this
View attachment 8568

I'm dummy spitting for reasons of jealousy lol

I drive a 2002 Falcon wagon dagnamit. A FORD!!!!

kill me now.

Yes I think you are right there . The 308 V8 was produced in Australia . The 327 V8 was the Chevy engine from the states . Can we have clarification @HoldenV8 ?
The Valiant Charger and was the fastest Australian produced car at the time having the best quarter mile time . The E49 R/T Charger was explosive off the mark just like our Dylan Walker
Hey Charger What a car !!!!
View attachment 8561
The 308 LS3 engine is a Chevy engine as well. I have a beautiful phantom black r8 in my driveway. But yes they are made in the states. Fords have barra engines. My mistake I have a 317

It looks like this
View attachment 8568
I'm dummy spitting for reasons of jealousy lol

I drive a 2002 Falcon wagon dagnamit. A FORD!!!!

kill me now.

I need a mini dummy spit icon, just jealous of the exhaust but for the extra 6K I could easily surpass I guess, just convincing the wife

Have the 6L VF series 1 SS. Never thought I would buy a falcodore but the VF's are so much better internally than anything previous and good to drive. Fuel economy is decent at 12.4L/100km average since new (in normal driving sits in the 11's but sometimes you need to enjoy things a little). 4 years old now and no issues at all still.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7