BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE SEA EAGLES AT 3PM TODAY

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I guess the short term positive from this TV deal is that its certainly a creative proposition. Someones thinking outside the norm. Long term, maybe a smart move for recruitment.

On a side note, is there such a thing as gay sheep ?

its a step in the right direction. A large percentage of the NRL have NZ or Islander heritage.

If we can gain a few NZ sponsers and maybe one or two future rep players it will all be worth investing in.

Volley link said:
The Travelling Supportahs change their name to something less gay  ;)

Any ideas Volley?

The name comes from a chant that kicked off around 3 or 4 seaons ago to ridicule the myth that Manly fans don't travel past the Spit bridge to support their team.

It just sort of grew from there and the word "supporters" gradually changed to "Supportahs" (Rhyming with Warringahs?) and has stuck

The numbers are growing each season be it on one of the "big" interstate trips or to closer games on the Supporters bus and then meeting others at pre-arranged spots pre-game and in the stadium.

Whatever people think of the name (No one likes us we don"t care....) there is no doubting that the group is made up of many fantastic people from all over Australia and that they are massive in their support of the team.

Always happy to meet any newcomers that would like to travel with us?

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Volley link=topic=182496.msg252654#msg252654 date=1267146166]

Any ideas Volley?

The name comes from a chant that kicked off around 3 or 4 seaons ago to ridicule the myth that Manly fans don't travel past the Spit bridge to support their team.

It just sort of grew from there and the word "supporters" gradually changed to "Supportahs" (Rhyming with Warringahs?) and has stuck

The numbers are growing each season be it on one of the "big" interstate trips or to closer games on the Supporters bus and then meeting others at pre-arranged spots pre-game and in the stadium.

Whatever people think of the name (No one likes us we don"t care....) there is no doubting that the group is made up of many fantastic people from all over Australia and that they are massive in their support of the team.

Always happy to meet any newcomers that would like to travel with us?
[/quote]

Although I am not a real Supportah as I havent been on an away trip (not yet anyway) I can say the bus trips to away games are great fun & you get to go & meet a good bunch of people.

Anyone thinking about going to an away game should jump on the bus or at least meet up with the crew at the ground.

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Volley link=topic=182496.msg252654#msg252654 date=1267146166]

Any ideas Volley?

[/quote]  Why not go with the name the club was trying to get off the ground for its travelling support group?  One of the rationale for using "Screaming Eagles" for the memberships was so it would be picked up to be the name for Manly supporters - aka the Barmy Army etc.  Or is to too aligned to Grant Mayer's dastardly bastard memberships?

Cambo link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=182496.msg252778#msg252778 date=1267245929]
im sure kiwi eagle can confirm this
[/quote]

You would know better than me Cliffy, apparently the only time you eat lamb is after you have given it a pounding yourself

Now, on a note related to this story, it was reported today that Lowe has put the idea in front of the board that Manly plays a home game in NZ from 2011 onwards

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Cambo link=topic=182496.msg252825#msg252825 date=1267347788]
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=182496.msg252778#msg252778 date=1267245929]
im sure kiwi eagle can confirm this
[/quote]

You would know better than me Cliffy, apparently the only time you eat lamb is after you have given it a pounding yourself

Now, on a note related to this story, it was reported today that Lowe has put the idea in front of the board that Manly plays a home game in NZ from 2011 onwards
[/quote]
ke u bastard u never disapoint :)

Kiwi Eagle link said:
 That puts the season ticket holder gripes about playing at Gosford into perspective.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=182496.msg252831#msg252831 date=1267350804]
  That puts the season ticket holder gripes about playing at Gosford into perspective.
[/quote]

Finanacial benefits to the club excluded, playing at Gosford is crap.I have been to every Manly game at Bluetongue over the past 5 or so years, the atmosphere is pathetic, it does not feel in anyway like a home game and most importantly the vast majority of the Central Coast have no interest in Manly.

I have no problem with 1 home game being played in NZ provided that none are played at Gosford.

I doubt very much a game will be played every year in NZ. I discussed with the board last year the thought of playing the Bronco's game at Skilled Park...it was mainly for the financial advantage.....the house would be packed (can fit 27500) and the dollars they would rake in would be huge BUT, in their words " Des isn't even happy about Bluetongue we'd have no hope to move a game to Queensland"...so IMO "aint going to happen"

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I doubt very much a game will be played every year in NZ. I discussed with the board last year the thought of playing the Bronco's game at Skilled Park...it was mainly for the financial advantage.....the house would be packed (can fit 27500)
  Why wouldn't you play it at Suncorp and try for more than 30,000 then?

Raised that as well Matabele...the answer was "Des would be horrified to give the other team a home ground advantage for one of our own home games".

So I tried Skilled.

Money wise it's a great idea (both venues) but not going to happen!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Raised that as well Matabele...the answer was \"Des would be horrified to give the other team a home ground advantage for one of our own home games\".

So I tried Skilled.

Money wise it's a great idea (both venues) but not going to happen!!

Ok, I can see the money thing but we have a great record against the Broncos at Brookie. It's a big one to give up, especially to give those scumbags an advantage.

Newcastle at Gosford is probably the best compromise for one game but if we could get more money from Wellington than Bluetongue I wouldn't be too opposed to taking the Panthers or Cowboys over there.

All you have to do is reduce the season tickets down to 11 with 12 as an option. They should do that for taking one up to Blacktown Beach anyway.

Re the "screaming eagles" name and supporters group....

The travel group is not an "official" supporters club per se, it was started and is "run" by fans - there are no membership forms, fees and you don't need to apply to join the group.

Rather, it is a group of people that started travelling together or meeting at the games and it grew from there.

As the numbers grew it made sense that we got a little better organised for some of the bigger trips with things like accomodation and transport to and from the hotels to games, purchasing tickets as a group so we could sit together and get together socially in places like Townsville, Brisbane, Melbourne and the Gold Coast etc. and Mark and the club have done a great job in supporting and accomplishing that with the NZ trip at Easter and the 50+ people that are with that trip being testament to the success and popularity of the thing

The name of the group is less important than the fact it has allowed individuals or couples, family groups or just a few mates who ordinarily wouldn't have gone to away games by themselves the opportunity to get together with other fans and enjoy the game together and support the team.

Word of mouth, facebook, this and the club site plus a number of other channels allow us to keep in touch and pass information easily rather than having to worry about a secretary, social organiser etc and it works well.

Looking forward to the new season immensley with a big part of that being the opportunity to catch up with the group

Vidmar

PS It may be pertinent to mention that the charter the Sea Eagles have with the Football CLub includes a clause that they can only schedule a maximum of 2 games away from Brookie each season - if they wish to do more they need to get a buy in from the FC members...Not sure how many would say yes so another good reason to be a FC member if you support the team?

Could you not approach the club and shanghai the Screaming Eagles name to what you're doing?  Just a thought.

Shanghai...now there's a good spot to move a game to, I bet the Chinese would pay big bucks to get a game over there!!

Seriously I reckon we will see this in the next 5 years, the Sea Eagles playing offshore in Hong Kong or somewhere as a one off promotional deal.

If the V8 supercars can run around Abu Dhabi why not two NRL sides???

Just some thoughts, not that I am a huge fan BUT times do change!!!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6