Best & worst Seaeagles signings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Ok we all support anyone in Maroon & White but theres been some signings that didn't .....pan out. The norths brigade in the Northern Eagles are my pinnacle though O'Meley was good in patches. Kimmorley was a letdown & as mentioned previously this Dallas Rennie - wtf - didn't make the top team after some court battle like he was a marquee player.
Many great buys but in my time Lyon King is 1 of the best, Cliffy no doubt, Mick O'conner was magic back in 1987 & from that team Ron Gibbs & the textbook frontrower Kevin Ward. Also NZ pair Ridge & Innes & could add the Stewart Bros but they basically come through our ranks & I see them more like Manly Juniors through 1 eye. BK deserves special metion - though he didn't win a premiership with Manly was a massive factor in shaping the aggressive win at all cost team we have today.
Prob missed a few so help me fill in the blanks.

Worst in my time all due to injury otherwise they were three superstars.

Ray Higgs
John Dorahy
Mitchell Cox - well maybe.

Good buys- Michael Robertson, Mark Carroll, Ian Roberts, David Gillespie, Terry Hill, Jim Serdaris, Joe Galuvao, Brent Kite and Matt Ballin

For the money they paid Robertson, Monaghan, Bryant, Hall, Rose, Wolfman and Ballin would be hard to beat.

MK Eagle said:
Ok we all support anyone in Maroon & White but theres been some signings that didn't .....pan out. The norths brigade in the Northern Eagles are my pinnacle though O'Meley was good in patches. Kimmorley was a letdown & as mentioned previously this Dallas Rennie - wtf - didn't make the top team after some court battle like he was a marquee player.
Many great buys but in my time Lyon King is 1 of the best, Cliffy no doubt, Mick O'conner was magic back in 1987 & from that team Ron Gibbs & the textbook frontrower Kevin Ward. Also NZ pair Ridge & Innes & could add the Stewart Bros but they basically come through our ranks & I see them more like Manly Juniors through 1 eye. BK deserves special metion - though he didn't win a premiership with Manly was a massive factor in shaping the aggressive win at all cost team we have today.
Prob missed a few so help me fill in the blanks.

Fulton by a country mile. Eadie next best. As far as established players you nailed it. O'Connor, Lyon best. Kennedy, Lyons. Les Boyd and Cleal have to be up there. Mal Reilly to...I nearly forgot and John O'Neill. If you rate Ward-O'Neill doubled that. He was the best front rower in the game late 60's and early 70's. Ken Irvine. Kevin Iro and Craig Innes. There are too many.
Craig Field was the f.ing worst

bob dylan said:

Ray Higgs
John Dorahy

Field lol-surely he beats those

andy goodway..anybody ? is it true he was a pommie international and basically couldnt crack it for firsts at manly ?
what about james leuluai ?

quinny said:
bob dylan said:

Ray Higgs
John Dorahy

Cast the mind back to 21 September 1997. Craig Field put us in the GF.

I am not defending him, but his field goal against the Chooks gave us a 17-16 win and the premiership that Newcastle stole away. He did play 55 matches over 3 seasons scoring 119 points.

The three I mentioned played less than 60 matches in a combined 5 seasons.

Best buys - Fulton, Ben Kennedy, Matt Orford, Cliffy,

Bad buys - Andy Goodway, Ian Barkley, Darren Rodgers, David Vealiki, Ashley Alberts, Jye Mullane

WESTIE said:
andy goodway..anybody ? is it true he was a pommie international and basically couldnt crack it for firsts at manly ?
what about james leuluai ?

Goodway played 8 games for us in 1985, we had a crap year. From memory he joined us part way through the year and had some injuries, he did play 23 games for England.

Some of the worst that come to mind are
Jason Ferris
Tasesa Lavea
Brett Kimmorly (although at the time I was stoked when this was announced)
bringing Terry Hill out of retirement in 2005

Edit: and who ever the hell thought it was a good idea to sign Michael Bani :s

Tezza falls into both category's the 1st time he came to us was one of the premier centers in the game.
2nd time well let's not go there

bob dylan said:
quinny said:
bob dylan said:

Ray Higgs
John Dorahy

I am not defending him, but his field goal against the Chooks gave us a 17-16 win and the premiership that Newcastle stole away. He did play 55 matches over 3 seasons scoring 119 points.

Couldn't give a toss about his stats-he played **** footy for us, which comes from my memory, not a big league almanac.
His field goal was the only thing he will be remembered for-when we signed him he was the hottest halfback prospect around town. He gets an F in my book.
Dorahy and Higgs were well past their best and Cox was a union pussy who couldn't (or should I say wouldn't) tackle.

quinny said:
bob dylan said:
quinny said:
bob dylan said:

Ray Higgs
John Dorahy

Couldn't give a toss about his stats-he played s**t footy for us, which comes from my memory, not a big league almanac.
His field goal was the only thing he will be remembered for-when we signed him he was the hottest halfback prospect around town. He gets an F in my book.
Dorahy and Higgs were well past their best and Cox was a union pussy who couldn't (or should I say wouldn't) tackle.

The hottest prospect in town?? Your memory has let you down he had had 7 years in first grade at Souths and was 25 or 26 years old. He was sacked by Souths as captain and walked out. Not sure why he came to Manly with Lyons and Toovey here.

There was a bloke at Newcastle playing No 7 who might have better claims as the hottest prospect in town.

Steve Norton and Gary Stephens were really good buys and Phil Lowe was exceptional.

Best in my time
Cliffy
Bk
Mark Carroll & Dave gillespie

Worst
Chris Bailey
Craig field
Matt Burke in the 80s

quinny said:
bob dylan said:
quinny said:
bob dylan said:

Ray Higgs
John Dorahy

Couldn't give a toss about his stats-he played s**t footy for us, which comes from my memory, not a big league almanac.
I remember when he came to manly in 86 cox firstly keep cliffy out of first grade and them pushed him to lock.

Never forget the knock out final in that year we lead balmain 12 nil napper gets sent off and our season was over.

Best big name signing, Jamie Lyon,just keeps getting better and better and leads by example.
Worst big name signing, Kevin Iro, extremely disappointing considering all the hype around him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8