Bernard Sutton had a blinder.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Even among Manly supporters, whether or not Jake's actions deserved a penalty, the sin bin or nothing at all can be argued either way (some more persuasively than others). Annersley has already said it was the "right" decision. The real problem, as has been pointed out elsewhere, is that arguing about it takes attention away from yet another appallingly one-sided refereeing performance. One side was reffed last night, not two, and it's a ****ing disgrace. If it had happened the other way, you know we wouldn't have been awarded a penalty, let alone a sin-binning.

Breaking news: NRL to present referee's wife with a diamond ring.
Greenberg: 'The NRL can't achieve its goals without the help of champions such as referee Sutton. We considered giving him a car, a cruise holiday, or an investment property, but decided that jewellery for his wife would look less controversial'

Souths Gerard Sutton named man of the match
70859946_2430262447027059_5669828280690147328_n.jpg

This is the issue.

It was almost as though the refs were using a team cheat sheet and had been instructed to penalise Manly if they affected the Rabbits speed but it wasn't something the refs were concerned with when affecting ours.
I read somewhere that the refs are actually given a tip sheet on every team they encounter.
1. Ludicrous
2. It should be published before each game

Last edited:
I will blow up deluxe if they come out now and apologise for some of the decisions, hang on, wait a minute, sorry that wont happen, haha its Manly, How stupid was I thinking that..:swear::swear::swear:

The NRL have already come out and backed Sutton so don't hold your breath waiting for the Monday morning apology from Annesley.

Hell, when Des spoke to Annesley straight after the game he got told "Tell your players to stop giving away penalties" (direct quote from Des' presser).

The NRL couldn't give a rats arse.....they got the outcome they wanted.

You know one thing I would love to see now?

The Manly boys there in the stands on Grand Final day at ANZ.....all dressed as NRL referees.

Won't happen of course.....but wouldn't that be a huge kick in the backside to the NRL.

Jake knew it, Cherry knew it and so did Sutton.

And so did Des. He left no doubts about his thoughts on it and the 9-3 penalty count during his presser.

Des was 100% adamant that if Jake wasn't binned, even if there was a penalty, we go on to win.

DCE in his interview in the sheds after the game was trying to be a bit more diplomatic.....but he left no doubt about his thoughts when he blew up at Sutton. Edit: I have never seen Cherry that animated as our captain. But, credit to him in that he kept it respectful, even calling that useless twat "Sir".

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the refs are actually given a tip sheet on every team they encounter.
1. Ludicrous
2. It should be published before each game

Bill Harrigan admitted publicly that referees do have cheat sheets they study before the games about what to look for from certain players or teams that they will be refereeing that weekend.

The problem there is that before the game even starts it sets up the referees mind that those things are going to be penalised if they happen. But quite often while penalising one side for something.....the opposition who are doing the same things usually get away with it because they aren't looking for that foul from them.

Subconsciously they have already decided which side will get penalised and which side won't.

What I don't get is Annersley's comment that he can't be critical of the decision to use the sin bin as he thought that they were wrong the week prior for not using it . What the hell does what happened last week have on the way you adjudicate the game the following week ? Don't you just judge each incident on its merits. That advice from Annersley led to the farce we saw last night.

Phil Gould, love him or hate him, but you must respect his thoughts on the game, has intimated many times this year on 100% footy the need for the Sutton faction to be cut out of the game. The way the game is reffed, the lack of feel, the clear bias, the changing focus points etc really take a lot of what rugby league is meant to be away from the viewer.

Gould said the Sutton faction is arrogant, ego driven and acted as though they were beyond reproach. He didn’t name them, but the veiled swipe was see through and he didn’t miss them

The whole game needs a shakeup, the players are professional, the administration and associated elements are not.

Unfortunately, that is the exact purpose, works awfully well.

And that is where there is little to no fairness or consistency from the referees. The problem is that the NRL have full knowledge that it happens, yet like letting Melbourne get away with their Saturday night wrestling tactics they do absolutely nothing about it and that leads to things just getting worse and worse.

Phil Gould, love him or hate him, but you must respect his thoughts on the game, has intimated many times this year on 100% footy the need for the Sutton faction to be cut out of the game. The way the game is reffed, the lack of feel, the clear bias, the changing focus points etc really take a lot of what rugby league is meant to be away from the viewer.

Gould said the Sutton faction is arrogant, ego driven and acted as though they were beyond reproach. He didn’t name them, but the veiled swipe was see through and he didn’t miss them

The whole game needs a shakeup, the players are professional, the administration and associated elements are not.

100%. And the worst part about the Sutton's is that for the past 2-3 years the games current best referee (Cecchin) has been sitting on the sidelines during the big games while Bernie gives his brother who just about everyone else believes is as useless as tits on a bull, the top spot.

While Matt Cecchin is no great shakes himself, the fact is that he is generally regarded as currently the best referee in the NRL.

Regarded as the best referee by everyone BUT the NRL, or more to the point.....the Sutton's.

I personally think that Cecchin pays the price when it comes to who gets the big games (e.g. Origin, Finals) for not fully towing the company line (i.e. he's a bit too fair). I think he's also still paying the price for the way he refereed that Sharks vs Drongos game a couple of years back where he made his feelings known about the NRL's "penalise everything" edict when he blew 32 penalties in the game (a Ch.9 Friday night game). It was a very public protest and he's been held down by the NRL ever since.

Edit: The silly thing is that Cecchin was only doing what the NRL actually wanted which was to penalise players for breaking the rules (which shock horror was exactly what people had been calling for for years.....be careful what you wish for). The problem was though that the media (and the fans on social media) had started heavily going on about the referees "nitpicking" due to the amount of penalties suddenly being blown and rather than stand their ground (as I think they should have), the NRL instead in their knee-jerk fashion started to backpedal quickly. Unfortunately as a result of that game, Cecchin became the fall guy for the NRL's stuff up.

Last edited:
lets put things in perspective ......

This is no conspiracy

This is just incompetence

Every year every team cops it up the arse from the refs

September 15, 2012

NRL refs boss admits to Manly try error
The crisis engulfing the NRL's whistleblowers has flowed through to the playoffs with referees boss Stuart Raper admitting officials got it wrong again in awarding the try that clinched Manly's preliminary final berth.

A review of Michael Oldfield's second try in Friday night's 22-12 win over North Queensland concluded Sea Eagles five-eighth Kieran Foran knocked-on in the lead-up; yet another black mark for the on-field decision makers.

September 16, 2013
Outrage' in Cowboys country over referees' error

That the Sharks scored on the seventh tackle has already been written into NRL folklore. But it may well be that the reaction to the 20-18 defeat, rather than the bungle itself, that sets this incident apart.

"For the officials to pick up before halftime that a try was scored off the seventh tackle, why can't the score be changed? And to say the Cowboys had 72 minutes to win the game, you may as well say we should just start with the Sharks leading 6-0."

Hansen doesn't believe the notion that this was all part of a giant conspiracy to keep a Queensland team out of the finals and ensure traditional Sydney clubs South Sydney and the Roosters slug it out in the grand final.

The Foran decision last year? That's another story.

"To me, that was a conspiracy. That went to the video referee and it was clear as day that Foran hit that ball. That was replayed 10 times over and to have that awarded a try? Disgusting."

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8