Benefit of the Doubt Goooooorne

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
Just on Channel Nein news...Benefit of the doubt rule gone.

And they would know cause they run the game

Stupid decision. The concept was not the problem, it was the way Harragon had them interpret it.

If the video replay does not show that a try was not scored, then unless the ref saw it from a better angle it shoudl be a try. After 2 months of the season when sides have been denied valid tries just watch the media and the coaches ask for the rule to be re-introduced.

I think they are spot on with that one, BOTD should be in the defensive teams favour for me

Another change made is to the Origin rules. From now on a player has to have lived in the state before the age of 13, or have a father that played for that state to be eligible

Kiwi Eagle said:
I think they are spot on with that one, BOTD should be in the defensive teams favour for me

Another change made is to the Origin rules. From now on a player has to have lived in the state before the age of 13, or have a father that played for that state to be eligible

Love it

Kiwi Eagle said:

Just to clarify, if you don't know who your father is then the benefit of the doubt rule applies and you can play for Queensland.

THis is now what will happen with those 50-50 decsions.

''From 2013, referees will make an on-field call in relation to any try-scoring situation. In the event that the match referee has reservations regarding his original decision he will indicate “time out”, signal that the video referee is to be introduced and then signal his on-field decision.

Only in those cases where the video referee believes there is ‘sufficient’ evidence to suggest the on-field decision is incorrect will he overturn the decision. In either case the video referee will communicate the outcome via the scoreboard.''

http://www.nrl.com/commission-rules-on-on-field-issues/tabid/10874/newsid/70537/default.aspx

Eagles2nv said:

''From 2013, referees will make an on-field call in relation to any try-scoring situation. In the event that the match referee has reservations regarding his original decision he will indicate “time out”, signal that the video referee is to be introduced and then signal his on-field decision.

Only in those cases where the video referee believes there is ‘sufficient’ evidence to suggest the on-field decision is incorrect will he overturn the decision. In either case the video referee will communicate the outcome via the scoreboard.''

http://www.nrl.com/commission-rules-on-on-field-issues/tabid/10874/newsid/70537/default.aspx

The way I interpret that is that its similar to crickets DRS. I like it. Gets rid of the howler and puts the onus on the ref on the field to make a call.

Fantastic decision.

None of this "I think he scored, so we will say he did" rubbish.

BOTD should always have gone to the defensive team, and tries not awarded unless they were certain they were tries.

Now the News Ltd crew (Gallop, Harrigan, etc) is gone we start getting decisions that actually make sense.

Finally the referee is expected to actually make a decision.

MWSE said:
Eagles2nv said:

The way I interpret that is that its similar to crickets DRS. I like it. Gets rid of the howler and puts the onus on the ref on the field to make a call.

I was thinking the same, its sounds a lot like drs. Further more the drs similar thing called captains call will be undergoing further trialling this yr in under 20s

It'll be interesting to see how the league community react when the on field ref makes a howler of a decision and doesn't use the video ref as he is sure of what he saw.

Will there be the chorus of "we have the technology, just use it!" again or will we all simply accept the mistake?

globaleagle said:
It'll be interesting to see how the league community react when the on field ref makes a howler of a decision and doesn't use the video ref as he is sure of what he saw.

Will there be the chorus of "we have the technology, just use it!" again or will we all simply accept the mistake?

People will always whinge and complain about refs. The fact of the matter is there will always be mistakes, and we just have to accept that over time they will even out. Refs (remarkably) are just human.

The DRS is a good comparison, although I do hope they just leave it up to the refs to refer it and do away with these captains challenges.

MWSE said:
globaleagle said:

People will always whinge and complain about refs. The fact of the matter is there will always be mistakes, and we just have to accept that over time they will even out. Refs (remarkably) are just human.

Oh I agree with you. Just wondering how long before we hear Gus say "Can you imagine a grand final decided on that decision?" when a ref makes a shocker.

The touch judges are going to look so lost if they also have to make decisions. They haven't done that in years.

manlyfan76 said:
The touch judges are going to look so lost if they also have to make decisions. They haven't done that in years.

"You're out of touch, judge!" is my standard line I yell at them every game I go to.

*trademarked!

Eagles2nv said:

globaleagle said:
Oh I agree with you. Just wondering how long before we hear Gus say "Can you imagine a grand final decided on that decision?" when a ref makes a shocker.
Such as Foran's try that was ridiculously disallowed in the 2011 grand final? I think most refs would have called that a try, so the change may be an improvement. We'll see…

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Such as Foran's try that was ridiculously disallowed in the 2011 grand final? I think most refs would have called that a try, so the change may be an improvement. We'll see…

Unless the standard of refereeing improves, there will be just as many bad decisions under this system as there were under the old one imo.

globaleagle said:
manlyfan76 said:

"You're out of touch, judge!" is my standard line I yell at them every game I go to.

*trademarked!

lol, never heard that before - but i'm gonna use it!
provided there are no legal issues?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6