Bears want back into the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Where is the dead bear photo?
Here it is feathered friend

Our Bear Hunters trophy can be found in the basement of the Manly Leagues club

That is all that is left of the North Sydney bears

21.jpg

Did you know that North Sydney's distinctive red and black hoops on its jerseys earned the team the politically incorrect moniker of 'The Bloodstained Niggers' in the early days?
They became known as 'The Shoremen' (which is the same of their rugby union team). My father was a NS supporters and he told me that they then became the North Sydney Kangaroos, but I have been unable to verify this. I know they had a lot of Australian representative players in the 1920s.
What is indisputable is that in the 1950's they changed their name to The Bears as part of a sponsorship arrangement with the 'Big Bear Supermarket' which is still operating at Neutral Bay, albeit in a much reduced capacity from the original concept.

I think Norths were also called The Mounties, including in Souths team song Glory Glory to South Sydney. But in that same song Manly are the Sea Gulls. Glory Glory to South Sydney

dudley-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

Simple answer

No F$$$ing way, never will happen and this joke of club will never win a another title in the NRL.

Never supported this move and this joke of a club can f$$k off and never be.considered to return to the nrl.

Manly forever!!!
And the coach of Norths will be ....drum roll ....Jason Taylor !! ..ah yes !! doesn't mind the odd punch up (in house that is) every now and then, takes us back to the good ole days..

The Bears greatest moment was from ex Manly player Freddie Teasdale. On the Bears reserves bench playing with a yo yo while the team got flogged by the Dogs. See 2m 04s.

Sad reality for Bears is that if on the little chance they did come back they would have to be in different colours as there is no way the NRL would allow the 18th team to have the same colours Red,White and Black as the 17th team they just admitted. They also wouldn't be in North Sydney or Central Coast as it would just cannibalise Sydney clubs. So The only way they are coming back is if they call a different coloured team from Perth the Bears. Long story short, Its not happening and they should just give up.

The Bears greatest moment was from ex Manly player Freddie Teasdale. On the Bears reserves bench playing with a yo yo while the team got flogged by the Dogs. See 2m 04s.

Teasdell, Teasdell,
Went the day well?
You never can tell,
Hohoho with the yo-yo,
The coach wasn’t happy,
He wanted to get slappy,
I remember it well,
Teasdell, Teasdell.

Last edited:
They were a victim of super league. If it had been a level playing field then cronulla and dogs should have gone, but the arl clubs got shafted.

Bears then continually torpedoed our merger, so I have no sympathy. I don’t see a way back for them.

The Bears could have joined Super League and ensured survival like the Dogs, Panfas or Sharks.

To be fair the Bears got into a mess because it rained so much in 1998 & into 1999 that their Central Coast home ground wasn't ready for 1999. They played all of their 1999 games without a home ground until mid season they gave up & returned to North Sydney Oval. But by then they were a financial wreck and I think from memory the leagues club wouldn't bail them out. When they finally went back to NSO they won 2 games out of 9. Then they merged with Manly and the NSW weather returned to another rainless drought!

OMG it’s started, just seen a guy in Balmain in his very new looking bear’s cap, enough to put you off your morning coffee

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2