BDO bans Aussie flag

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
ORGANISERS of the Big Day Out have tried to hose down talk of a ban on the Australian flag at the Sydney concert on Thursday, but still stay they want people to leave the national symbol at home.

Music fans heading to the Homebush event had been warned any flag or bandana featuring the national symbol would be confiscated at the gates.

Event organiser Ken West was quoted as saying fans' behaviour last year in the wake of the Cronulla riots and the recent ethnic violence at the Australian Open tennis tournament had forced his hand.

"The Australian flag was being used as gang colours. It was racism disguised as patriotism and I'm not going to tolerate it," Mr West said.

But organisers today said Mr West had been misinterpreted.

"We are not banning the Australian flag but are simply discouraging its use for anti-social purposes at the Big Day Out," said a statement this morning on the BDO website.

"In recent times, there has been an increased incidence of flags brandished aggressively and this has led to increased tension.

"Our only intention in discouraging this activity at the Big Day Out is to ensure that our patrons are not subjected to this aggressive behaviour.

"With all this in mind and the aim to create a happy, peaceful MUSICAL event, organisers would like to request that fans please leave their flags at home."

The organisers said there was no need for the Australian flag to be waved at the Sydney concert as it was not an Australia Day event.

But the stand has already sparked a chorus of disapproval from top politicians, including Prime Minister John Howard, and the RSL.

Prime Minister John Howard said the Big Day Out should be cancelled unless organisers reversed their decision to ban the flag.

New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma said the promotors should "reverse their decision immediately".

"If they pulled this on Independence Day in the US, imagine what would happen. It's just ridiculous," he said.

"It is a ridiculous decision and I never thought I'd see the day when a promoter would ask young Australian people to celebrate Australian artists but not identify with their national flag."

Mainstream headline act Jet have a black and white version of the flag as the backdrop for their set.

Frontman Nic Cester said they used this version to display their pride in being Australian.

"I can't tell anyone else what to do but we as a band are very proud to be Australian and we don't want to feel we are not allowed to feel proud because of the disgusting actions of people who don't represent Australia, in my mind," he said.

The Big Day Out event tours six cities in Australia and New Zealand but the flag issue has only been raised in Sydney, where the festival has been shifted to the day before its usual Australia Day date to avoid nationalistic overtones.

"Contrary to the reports in the media, it was never our intention to disrespect the symbolism of the Australian or any other flag," the BDO said.

They should rename it to "the big eve out"

what a load of crap, wonder if say the Aboriginal flag would be banned, political correctnessgone mad.

I can't blame them given all the bogan morons parading around with their flags last year.

The convict elites LOL!

Yeah its a shame that a few bogans ruin the fun. At the same time though I dont see the need (or want) to wear an Aussie flag to a concert.

Sporting events for sure, but music festivals....

I agree with Clon- while I'm sure a few people will get their back up but I don't see any real need to take a flag along to the BDO, granted it is Australia Day but if you are that patriotic you should probably be in Canberra attending the Australia Day Concert there

jeez trouble at the big day out?
Who would have thought?

The reason ppl traditionally wear aussie flags to BDO is because it is Australia day.

It's not this year.

Why do people feel patriotic about Australia Day - commemorating the arrival of a boatload of petty thieves dumb enough to be caught.

why do you feel patriotic towards Zimbawe?

It's not this year.

Why do people feel patriotic about Australia Day - commemorating the arrival of a boatload of petty thieves dumb enough to be caught.

go learn some culture to of the nation you now call home and to which you pledged to follow its laws and values

http://www.australiaday.gov.au/pages/index.asp

or piss off. Australia day is my favourite public holiday and I am as proud as anyone to be part of this country. If you are not state your reasons and **** off!

Touchy. I just want to know why we commemorate the landing of petty thieves.

Please explain.

In Rhodesia did they celebrate the takeover of a nation by a british company for mineral rights?

Talk about pots and kettles.

Touchy. I just want to know why we commemorate the landing of petty thieves.

Please explain.

Actually Matas, we celebrate the Nation we call home, whether by Birth or by choice.

We dont celebrate the landing, we just happen to celebrate on that day.

that is it exactly we celebrate the nation, what it means to be australia and the community. not the landing.

its also a good time to be celebrating, a month after christmas.

Next thing we will here that anzac day is a load of crap

Okay then. Thanks for clarifying. I do wonder if it wouldn't be better off moving the day to another that doesn't happen to fall on the day a mob of theives and murderers arrived to unveil a campaign of genocide against the indigenous population.

Surely there would be a better day not tied to such a dark part of the country's history?

Okay then. Thanks for clarifying. I do wonder if it wouldn't be better off moving the day to another that doesn't happen to fall on the day a mob of theives and murderers arrived to unveil a campaign of genocide against the indigenous population.

Surely there would be a better day not tied to such a dark part of the country's history?

Every country that you could nominate could easily have their origins described in terms other than that of modern & democratic and egalitertarian. So maybe Mata should accurately describe how being a citizen of this country (today) is substandard when compared to any other country, despite its mischeivious origins. Good luck Mata.

do you really think that if any of the other European powers of the time would have done anything differently? The y were all tarred with the same brush, the poms just got here first.

I'm not condoning what was done, but it is a different world and a different time, Do you Really Think Cecil Rhodes and his cronies could have done what they did in the 1880s?

I prefer to judge people on what they do now, not on what some colonial power did over 200 years ago.

I dont disagree with the point that (I think) you are trying to make, but lumping modern Australians in as a bunch of "murderers and thieves" is a bit similar to the garbage spouted by old El Hillaly. A tad over the top perhaps.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4