Barrett under pressure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Will baz get the sack if we miss the finals

• Yes

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 67.7%

• Total voters
Personally reckon Barrett is a good coach and will support that all day, but it is business and if your not winning, your under pressure.
However, at times there are bad efforts from players and against Souths they were flat and lost and the coaching staff have plenty to do with having teams UP for the game and with a variation of structures around a simple game plan to best work against the opposition on that day.
Thing is - Manly had a similar game plan to last weeks Eels slaughter and Souths obviously predicted it and met them early....but there was no plan B and the Manly team became unravelled taking the same road the entire game and lost interest when it didn't work.
If you watch a Storm/Cows team playing and the opposition are prepared, they ALWAYS have a backup plan and change their game plan on the run....yes this is where ppl call Smith out as THAT player who controls this but I have little doubt Bellamy has a plan B and plan C and numerous ways to counter a team who has the structures worked out.....need to not crumble when plan A fails, otherwise it will be a LOOOONG season...
I don't think it was the same plan. We put the off-loads in the kit bag (due to the rain more than likely) and played a more conservative game (which is smart in the wet). Problem is, when you play conservative, you have to do all the little things well. Souths tackled harder, ran harder and finished their set off better, hence the result.

Fair enough but we were flat from the first tackle . Its hard for any team to get up week in week out these days . Yes Melbourne did it last year , but no cronk will bring them back as the season unwinds and was proved last week when they had everything to play for and got rolled by the tiges.
What do u mean week in week out it is only round 2. They play one game a week, no excuse

The inconsistency is frustrating but I don't think we need to burn the joint down because of it. Some people disguise this "burning" process as an unwillingness to accept mediocrity, but it is really just a lack of emotional intelligence. That's the only thing that could cause someone to be so high one week and so low the next.

I could see yesterday's loss coming a mile away. A desperate Souths team were never going to lose three in a row and Manly were coming off a huge win in 39 degree heat wave. We looked flat walking out to the kick off.

I've heard players say (particularly forwards) that the tempo and momentum of a game is set in the first 10-15 minutes. It only changes when one team take their foot of the gas. Yesterday, Souths did not take their foot off the gas and we started flat. That is the reason why we got flogged, not because we are an average team.

We got beaten to the punch early and could not wrestle back the momentum because we were flat and Souths were desperate. The coach and the players do not need to be sacked or dropped or what ever other hair brained idea pops up.

They just need to learn consistency. However, learning consistency is not as simple as "seek and you shall receive". We know we need it, they know we need it, but it's complicated. It takes time for these young players to mature and it takes time to develop the killer instinct. Sometimes 2-3 seasons. I consider last year to be season 1. The team in 2016 was completely different. Every year it will change slightly and losing Green is a big change. So we are probably 6 months into a 2-3 year learning curve.

'A lack of emotional intelligence.'

I only had to read this far...sheesh! Some posters do have a very high opinion of themselves at times.

Without wishing to point out the obvious, its not the same people flipping each week. There are two types of people in this world - glass half full and glass half empty - we win big, the glass half full brigade do the gloating, we lose big - the glass half empty brigade do their usual "I told you so" routine. Apologies to any schizophrenics on here.

The glass half-full are the intelligent ones though. Well, that's what they like to tell everyone anyway.

'A lack of emotional intelligence.'

I only had to read this far...sheesh! Some posters do have a very high opinion of themselves at times.
It's pretty simple mate.

We win - "Baz for PM"
We lose the following week - "Sack Baz"

How that's NOT a lack of emotional intelligence will make for interesting reading...it's called dummy spitting because that's what babies do, they spit the dummy. How that has anything to do with my opinion of myself will also make for interesting reading.

By the way, it's the moors.

The inconsistency is frustrating but I don't think we need to burn the joint down because of it. Some people disguise this "burning" process as an unwillingness to accept mediocrity, but it is really just a lack of emotional intelligence. That's the only thing that could cause someone to be so high one week and so low the next.

I could see yesterday's loss coming a mile away. A desperate Souths team were never going to lose three in a row and Manly were coming off a huge win in 39 degree heat wave. We looked flat walking out to the kick off.

I've heard players say (particularly forwards) that the tempo and momentum of a game is set in the first 10-15 minutes. It only changes when one team take their foot of the gas. Yesterday, Souths did not take their foot off the gas and we started flat. That is the reason why we got flogged, not because we are an average team.

We got beaten to the punch early and could not wrestle back the momentum because we were flat and Souths were desperate. The coach and the players do not need to be sacked or dropped or what ever other hair brained idea pops up.

They just need to learn consistency. However, learning consistency is not as simple as "seek and you shall receive". We know we need it, they know we need it, but it's complicated. It takes time for these young players to mature and it takes time to develop the killer instinct. Sometimes 2-3 seasons. I consider last year to be season 1. The team in 2016 was completely different. Every year it will change slightly and losing Green is a big change. So we are probably 6 months into a 2-3 year learning curve.
You make some valid points and yes Manly are not an average team in relation to roster that is for sure.(a credit to recruitment and Barrett under tight budget constraints for putting together a decent squad)

Feeling flat after two games though(even playing in 37.5 degrees the previous week) is overplaying the "flat" factor due to heat.

Considering Parramatta played back to back games in heat and supposedly performed somewhat better than Manly yesterday you have to put it down to a poor attitude and a lack of obvious leadership in the ranks to keep things in check.

Same thing happened last year against Souths all the fickle supporters came out with the same dribble get over it they lost a game in round 3 not the end of the world

It's pretty simple mate.

We win - "Baz for PM"
We lose the following week - "Sack Baz"

How that's NOT a lack of emotional intelligence will make for interesting reading...it's called dummy spitting because that's what babies do, they spit the dummy. How that has anything to do with my opinion of myself will also make for interesting reading.

By the way, it's the moors.

We've won 39% of games including trials in Barrett's tenure (2.5 years).
We've won 44% of games season proper in Barrett's tenure: 52 games, 23 wins, 29 losses (2.5 years).
We've won once in our last 6 starts (including trials & finals).

Be fair snake, people have a right to be a little concerned.

We've won 44% of games season proper in Barrett's tenure: 52 games, 23 wins, 29 losses (2.5 years).

Yes if it keeps happening have some faith such a long way to go

Yes if it keeps happening have some faith such a long way to go

Understood and agreed Ange.

BUT, I'm talking about facts, and actual's, what your asking is for people to pin their hopes on maybe's and what if's. There in lies the problem for some (including me I guess). It's about trends, and our present trend (1 in 6), is worrying.

We just can't get those W's.

Understood and agreed Ange.

BUT, I'm talking about facts, and actual's, what your asking is for people to pin their hopes on maybe's and what if's. There in lies the problem for some (including me I guess). It's about trends, and our present trend (1 in 6), is worrying.

We just can't get those W's.
Come on Ryan stop providing the annual "inflate trends" posts with trial games included every year, mind you the trend is you tend to provide them yearly lol so can't knock your consistency.(makes for a good laugh all good)

Trends and stats are meaningless if you are unable to understand the reasoning behind them.

One of Hasler's weaknesses is he has all the stats/trends but lacks the eye test ability---- gives the impression he doesn't question the values or understands them as they may be misleading.

But where was the concern last week? No one was saying "we've won 54-0, but I'm not sure about this Barrett fellow. Let's wait and see what happens next week because I think we might need to look for a new coach if we cannot stick with Souths".

I'm concerned about our lack of consistency too but I think it's important to keep emotions in check otherwise we'd be signing a new coach and a fresh squad of players every year that we don't come close to winning the premiership.

I don't think it was the same plan. We put the off-loads in the kit bag (due to the rain more than likely) and played a more conservative game (which is smart in the wet). Problem is, when you play conservative, you have to do all the little things well. Souths tackled harder, ran harder and finished their set off better, hence the result.
Manly tried Exact same plan- steamroll them through the middle third, turning back inside every time the ball got to the edges....like the time Sam read it and bashed AFB.
Souths offloaded plenty to Cook and co floating around the ruck at will regardless of the conditions.
Unlike Eels who did not lock up the ball, they had 3 in every tackle smothering the ball...obviously done their homework and got what they had trained for......then they blew us up through the middle defensively and then had fun doing it far more successfully themselves after winning the early contacts.

Come on Ryan stop providing the annual "inflate trends" posts with trial games included every year, mind you the trend is you tend to provide them yearly lol so can't knock your consistency.(makes for a good laugh all good)

Trends and stats are meaningless if you are unable to understand the reasoning behind them.

One of Hasler's weaknesses is he has all the stats/trends but lacks the eye test ability---- gives the impression he doesn't question the values or understands them as they may be misleading.

We arent talking about just two weeks here. We are talking about 2.5 years. We are grossly inconsistent. Not sure why that is funny?

Barrett actually equalled the club's worst ever losing streak at 7 in a row remember.

The strong teams are consistent.

I absolutely respect your analysis of games, and breakdown of the technical points, and would never belittle or make fun of your opinions.

But, if that was your goal, consider your insults levelled at me taken on board, and I hope its made you feel a little bit better about yourself, and lifted your ego for the day. Congratulations on making someone else feel crap about their opinions and way of putting forward their thoughts.

Manly tried Exact same plan- steamroll them through the middle third, turning back inside every time the ball got to the edges....like the time Sam read it and bashed AFB.
Souths offloaded plenty to Cook and co floating around the ruck at will regardless of the conditions.
Unlike Eels who did not lock up the ball, they had 3 in every tackle smothering the ball...obviously done their homework and got what they had trained for......then they blew us up through the middle defensively and then had fun doing it far more successfully themselves after winning the early contacts.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

The ruck isn't won by a preconceived knowledge of what's coming. We could hardly move the ball to the edges yesterday in the wet to nullify the Bunnies swarming defence in the middle, that's suicide.
It's simple. If you run harder and tackle harder than the opposition, you go close to winning the match regardless of what tactic you play with. If it's about coming up with something unexpected so the opposition can't negate it the following week, teams would be using a different style week in week out. Instead, they just use the same set plays and basic structures. Half the battle is doing those things better than the opposition and the other half is the roster you choose to assemble to do it. We've got a fair roster but Souths did all the basics better than us and won the game.

I should also add that I don't think Big Sam "read" anything overly profound. It was telegraphed the same way it's telegraphed every week. Next week when AFB's head is in the game, he will knock that defender flat on his arse like he does most weeks, but yesterday he did not have his head in the game and lacked enthusiasm. He went in half arsed and the ball got knocked free by a raking hand, not Big Sam's brute strength as hyperbolised by the media.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if some people have been watching this game for years .... I stopped entering tipping comps a decade ago because of the complete inconsistency of ALL results, EVERY WEEK.

There are huge swings in form and momentum from half to half ... let alone week to week. And it happens to all teams, unless like Bellamy you have 8 SOO players ... but even Melb aren't immune.

The only thing certain for me is we will have some more great victories this year and at least 10 more disappointing loses.

Welcome to footy circa 2000's

At least there is one thing we can all agree ... Anthony Griffin is the worst coach in the NRL ..... No, Shiite, wait on. make that the best coach in the NRL

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The ruck isn't won by a preconceived knowledge of what's coming. We could hardly move the ball to the edges yesterday in the wet to nullify the Bunnies swarming defence in the middle, that's suicide.
It's simple. If you run harder and tackle harder than the opposition, you go close to winning the match regardless of what tactic you play with. If it's about coming up with something unexpected so the opposition can't negate it the following week, teams would be using a different style week in week out. Instead, they just use the same set plays and basic structures. Half the battle is doing those things better than the opposition and the other half is the roster you choose to assemble to do it. We've got a fair roster but Souths did all the basics better than us and won the game.
You 100% can move the ball to the edges with depth in these conditions, just like Souths done to score a few tries including the first try after 2 minutes and make numerous breaks out wide throughout the match.
Manly made it clear they were playing through the middle very early and did not look to alter this plan, which certainly did not work.
The only reason Manly did not offload is the fact Souths locked up the ball shutting down second phase play.
On the other hand - Souths were not locked up and offloaded constantly regardless of the conditions.
We will take a disagree card on this because Souths played like a team that knew how Manly would play, it was frustrating to not have some variation....the players looked like the energy was gone after the game plan was not working.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ned
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8